• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

on the other hand, in my house I have 2x 14th gen (14600k & 14900k) and 1x 13th gen (13700k) all of which have had a LOT of use without any issues at all.

My immediate circle of friends and family have a few people with 13th and 14th gen, including people playing CS and various UE5 stuff, without any issues so far which weren't down to RAM problems or needing a BIOS update.

From my wider circle of acquaintances including people working in IT, etc. who manage 100s of such systems they are experiencing elevated issues with the 13th and 14th gen but as before it is low single digit percentage type stuff rather than massive failure rates. Interestingly the observation has been that initially most of the failures were out the box and the CPUs seen degrading have largely been the direct Intel replacements so far. Most of the CPUs which weren't faulty originally haven't gone on to degrade as of yet which is kind of weird.

I do wonder what is going on.

I haven't benched to notice. But more than likely I have.
I can't remember the video atm as I watched way too many of them but I think the latest bios update may cause a loss of around 4%.

Found the vid also provides a good explanation for other's though it a week old, provided a timestamp:

Last edited:
My immediate circle of friends and family have a few people with 13th and 14th gen, including people playing CS and various UE5 stuff, without any issues so far which weren't down to RAM problems or needing a BIOS update.

From my wider circle of acquaintances including people working in IT, etc. who manage 100s of such systems they are experiencing elevated issues with the 13th and 14th gen but as before it is low single digit percentage type stuff rather than massive failure rates. Interestingly the observation has been that initially most of the failures were out the box and the CPUs seen degrading have largely been the direct Intel replacements so far. Most of the CPUs which weren't faulty originally haven't gone on to degrade as of yet which is kind of weird.

Yes, it is baffling. I don't have a feeling that my CPU is suddenly going to go pop but obviously something is happening and there are problems. Fingers crossed they are all OK. The 13700k has been rinsed for over a year (with non safe bios versions) and seem as stable as ever. The 14600k since December with heavy use also.

14900k time will tell but a couple of months in on a 'safer' bios version and will happily grind out hours of gaming or stress tests.

Last edited:
The 14600k has been getting hammered daily since Dec. The 14900k, only a couple of months - only ever used on the bios with the intel profiles on, recently updated to the 0*125 microcode update. I can't see any voltages that are untoward but I guess time will tell with this CPU. Pretty gutting as I bought it just at the time when all this dropped.

I got the 14900k new but from eBay, CPU only so if it did degrade I would have to get creative forging a receipt! Not ideal.

Shame about your CPU - are you planning to return it?
just backwards and forwards at the moment , arguing its goosed and fixes deminish advertised performance , waiting to hear back , told them id keep mobo and just sell on , im going back to amd asap

Wendell implied similar; that the RMA returns were as likely or more likely to develop a fault again.

Now, motherboard/PSU/cooling issues which killed CPU could kill a replacement but W680 DC customers are unlikely to have had those issues.

So this point towards bad batches. Or bad batches being one of the problems.

What I cannot get my head around is that the RMA department (and DC customers probably have a sales rep - even if their 1x900K numbers were small they buy lots of other stuff) shipping out from bad batches. One off's are one thing but if the RMA batch keep failing over and over again, you would think the RMA department would test before sending them out. Assuming Intel know what to test for, of course...

In terms of customer perceptions: a CPU failing is bad. How the RMA gets handles is crucial, and receiving a bad replacement: well the customer perceptions will really suffer big time.

What I cannot get my head around is that the RMA department (and DC customers probably have a sales rep - even if their 1x900K numbers were small they buy lots of other stuff) shipping out from bad batches. One off's are one thing but if the RMA batch keep failing over and over again, you would think the RMA department would test before sending them out. Assuming Intel know what to test for, of course...
My guess would be something like this.

RMA tech: "These CPUs are reserved for DC, but they're all broken, can we have some more?"
RMA manager: "Computer says no, want another fedex label?"

Wendell implied similar; that the RMA returns were as likely or more likely to develop a fault again.

Now, motherboard/PSU/cooling issues which killed CPU could kill a replacement but W680 DC customers are unlikely to have had those issues.

So this point towards bad batches. Or bad batches being one of the problems.

In terms of customer perceptions: a CPU failing is bad. How the RMA gets handles is crucial, and receiving a bad replacement: well the customer perceptions will really suffer big time.
Do you really think Intel cares about an individual going through RMA?

As far as I can tell Intel have admitted they ****** up but are going to fix nothing, they'll just eat however many RMA's and class actions lawsuits get thrown their way and move on.

The Nvidia model of customer service, a la Bumbgate: pretend there is nothing wrong (for far longer than Intel), then do next to nothing except for some OEMs; ultimately put aside $250 million for causing $billions of damage. Any class action was North America only only was mainly a success for some laywers. Yet a (good) few years later and Nvidia are/were the most valuable company on the planet!

i could tell with the fps in games tbh

Shouldn't really be seeing much, if any, hit in games - most don't push the CPU past ~200 watt and rarely exceed other limits.

Their numbers seem a bit off to me, or maybe they have a duff 14700K, in a lot of cases either the performance isn't affected due to being already inside the limits, or almost converges on the 14900 after the changes aside from the 14900 having a slight benefit still from cache. The i9s are by far the most affected and likewise for the kind of mitigations Intel is talking about. Their 14600K results are also seeing a hit in places which they shouldn't really if the 13700K isn't impacted.

Last edited:
Intel's "situation" has certainly helped my Gigabyte Z690 motherboard enjoy many BIOS releases, not necessarily for welcomed reasons, performance goes up, performance goes down.........
They certainly managed to bring longevity to the Socket 1700, hopefully the same for their next one, with stability this time.

Last edited:
I've updated the code on my Asus Z790 Apex Encore / 14900KS

Microcode 0x129

y1gVFnJ.jpg

Intel Profiles
QZz2Gg8.jpg

Stock R23

jkVAR9M.png

It does score higher with HWinfo etc... all closed but it gives you the idea.

Notes:
  • It seems to perform similarly to the 0x125 firmware, I could review the VIDs to see how that pans over a few runs
  • I've not tested against the 0x11F / 0x123 / 0x124
  • The 0x125 does look to correct the SA bug on these, which is interesting. I don't have a CPU to test and confirm that to hand otherwise, I'd review it.
  • Outside of messing around with RAM timings, it's been very stable and that's running with memory speeds of up to 8600.

Asus Update (Safedisk)

01. Update microcode to 129 for Intel instability issue
02. Improve system performance

Intel's "situation" has certainly helped my Gigabyte Z690 motherboard enjoy many BIOS releases, not necessarily for welcomed reasons, performance goes up, performance goes down.........
They certainly managed to bring longevity to the Socket 1700, hopefully the same for their next one, with stability this time.
At least you get updates, my EVGA Z790 KPE board no longer gets (official) updates :( :cry:

I'll need to check but I think that's running 0x123 M/C as it has my other KS in it.

Last edited:
Beware, the new Microcode doesn't work if you don't use the Intel Default Profile

How does that even work? Eh. I mean, the whole reason for lowering the voltage was to prevent degradation, right? So, why would you turn it off so easily? :o

Back
Top Bottom