• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Finally, thanks to Gigabyte for allowing me to join the rather non-elite, but seemingly crowded, Intel gimp club....

Z690-AORUS-ELITE-DDR4-rev-1-x-Support-Motherboard-GIGABYTE-Global.png

I feel honoured, my CPU feels mightily cooled, and my RL has now regressed back to the performance of my 9900k.

Awesome time warp experience.

It seems that Gigabyte have pulled that BIOS from their site.
Might be prepping another one with the 0x129 microcode.....
Can't wait

I dont think I am going to do a further bios update until the dust settles a little. I updated to the interim one a few weeks back on my Asus Z790 and currently have everything at default Intel settings with turbo off.

I have not had any issues with mine at all, only had it two weeks, but do know for certain that my board was pushing 300w+ through pre bios flash.

Happy to run like this until we know where we stand a bit more. Everything feels rushed at the moment due to the hate Intel are getting, which helps no-one.

My personal opinion is that the motherboard manufacturers are to blame more than Intel anyway for allowing 40% more power to be pushed through very easily.

Do you need to update your Bios for this microcode?my 14900k was crashing in games but I changed the power limits with the Intel recommended settings and it seems ok now.

Do you need to update your Bios for this microcode?my 14900k was crashing in games but I changed the power limits with the Intel recommended settings and it seems ok now.
I would check the manufacturer site.

Some have files you ran from Windows then update the bios and others are done through the bios update at the same time.

I dont think I am going to do a further bios update until the dust settles a little. I updated to the interim one a few weeks back on my Asus Z790 and currently have everything at default Intel settings with turbo off.

I have not had any issues with mine at all, only had it two weeks, but do know for certain that my board was pushing 300w+ through pre bios flash.

Happy to run like this until we know where we stand a bit more. Everything feels rushed at the moment due to the hate Intel are getting, which helps no-one.

My personal opinion is that the motherboard manufacturers are to blame more than Intel anyway for allowing 40% more power to be pushed through very easily.

Also waiting for dust to settle, but I have an RMA open for my chip as it started crashing under settings that were fine previously. The big thing for me was just lowering ICCMAX, or at least not letting ASUS figure it out. Asus max in the BIOS is 511A, but Intel max according to the infographic that ended up doing the rounds (and the same one Intel support sent me straight away) should never exceed 400A. I lowered it to 307A initially which completely resolved the crashing but at the cost of quite a bit of performance.

The Intel XTU AVX2 test has been my go to for testing, because anything that was broadly crashing would fail that test inside 5 minutes easily, but also because I can see when the chip is power throttling vs current throttling. If I leave the BIOS ICCMAX at default (give it full headroom to 511A), it will only power throttle, and crash. If I set it to 307A, it will only current throttle, but pass. If I set it to 400A it will flip flop between the two and pass. (This is with 253W limit enforced, which I've been doing the since I got the chip).

It should be hitting all the limits equally. Then gently sitting somewhere in between, so performance remains consistent. That means it’s correctly programmed to its TDP.

When a board manufacturer removes one restriction, it has to remove all of them.

That’s evidently not always practical.

It seems that Gigabyte have pulled that BIOS from their site.
Might be prepping another one with the 0x129 microcode.....
Can't wait

Didn't have to wait long at all....

Z690-AORUS-ELITE-DDR4-rev-1-x-Support-Motherboard-GIGABYTE-Global.png

gotta like, or not, sporadic behaviour being fixed. Not sure if that is in reference to Intel and board makers, as a whole. Probably just specific to my board.

Perhaps, this will be the last........

Last edited:
Yeh I'm not installing any beta or interim Bios... Far too risky IMO.
I'm gonna wait a few months at least.

Gigabyte have pulled at least 3 BIOS versions I've noticed since these issues came to light, so I'm back on end of last year's BIOS for my Aorus Master currently. Though the issues mostly seemed to be due to functionality in the BIOS rather than issues with normal operation once booted into Windows.

Not sure if that is in reference to Intel and board makers, as a whole. Probably just specific to my board.

Pretty sure it is due to Intel's voltage behaviour in general - same note on my Z790 Aorus Master and the voltage regulation/power management on this board has been reviewed as being very good at the board level.

Last edited:
Gigabyte have pulled at least 3 BIOS versions I've noticed since these issues came to light, so I'm back on end of last year's BIOS for my Aorus Master currently. Though the issues mostly seemed to be due to functionality in the BIOS rather than issues with normal operation once booted into Windows.

Pretty sure it is due to Intel's voltage behaviour in general - same note on my Z790 Aorus Master and the voltage regulation/power management on this board has been reviewed as being very good at the board level.

Fair point.. but there's no way in hell I'd install a beta BIOS.. regardless of motherboard vendor, It's far too fundamental to be messing with.

Especialy if you're not experiencing voltage spikes or any other unusual behavior.

Last edited:
I have updated to the new Bios with the new microcode buts its still unstable and crashing my 14900k I am going to RMA it this is the second one I have sent back to Intel wish id have gone AMD now.
sounds like the damage is already done as this will only prevent further damage not fix damaged chips. Good Luck

New bios released for my motherboard this week. Will give it a try when fly back home later but I've put my 14900KS for RMA with the retailer. Either be a direct replacement or refund.

Got a cheap i3 CPU from a test machine while the RMA is in process. So it's not too bad while I wait.

Maybe I can finally run my DDR5-6000 RAM without the system falling over.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is wondering the bios for the Asus Z790-F Wifi 2 gave me the new microcode and not noticing any drop in performance. All stock on the Intel default settings and it gives me 32500 in Cinebench.

You can see where all the issues are though, I flicked back to Asus settings and straight away I saw 1.6-1.7v in general windows, back to Intel defaults and 1.52v was the max. Motherboards literally running with a "if the cpu dies, it dies" attitude and sitting back and watching Intel get annihilated.

Edit: Just to add my vcore usage on the new microcode under all core load in Cinebench is averaging 1.28v, makes the 1.7v Asus are using for moving around Windows even more mind bending.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom