• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Vast majority of 13900k and 14900k owners have no issues. The press/influencers blew it out of proportion during a content drought for clicks.

Problem is there is no real data and no engagement by Intel - one of Wendell's sources was claiming multiple HX chip failures but I've seen 2 shop who've sold large volumes of those chips say they've seen virtually no returns for CPU failure (one I recently linked to) and while I don't directly deal with them we've a relationship at work with several UK IT distributors/SIs so I'd be aware if they were seeing elevated returns.

Last edited:
Problem is there is no real data and no engagement by Intel - one of Wendell's sources was claiming multiple HX chip failures but I've seen 2 shop who've sold large volumes of those chips say they've seen virtually no returns for CPU failure (one I recently linked two) and while I don't directly deal with them we've a relationship at work with several UK IT distributors/SIs so I'd be aware if they were seeing elevated returns.
I think it'll be a long time before we know, if we ever know. A lot of regular users just put crashing down to their PC, the memory, Windows, the graphics card, who knows (often the CPU is near the bottom of the list), so unless they are some kind of power user it'd likely not even get returned for months, if at all. Especially If the OEM do the same thing as Intel and fob people off until they get fed up and buy another PC in a year or two..

I think it'll be a long time before we know, if we ever know. A lot of regular users just put crashing down to their PC, the memory, Windows, the graphics card, who knows (often the CPU is near the bottom of the list), so unless they are some kind of power user it'd likely not even get returned for months, if at all. Especially If the OEM do the same thing as Intel and fob people off until they get fed up and buy another PC in a year or two..
And that MO worked for Nvidia way back during their millions of solder defects. About the only OEM who didn't fob their customers was Apple - and they haven't touched Nvidia since!

Actually there is another thing I recall about Nvidia's bumbgate: forum posters fobbing people off with what amounted to basically "a 8600GT [etc.]? That thing is far to slow to be useful now anyhow" which I found strange as I heard that more than once. Maybe Nvidia focus group neme at the time?

Back
Top Bottom