• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

If you are not doing anything remotely heavy in terms of multithreaded, go Intel. Technotice has an interesting comparison with power from the wall for creators, the 13900k slaughters the 7950x in terms of both performance and efficiency. That's because photoshop premiere and the rest of Adobe suite is a mixed workload and in those Intel thrives. If you are running prime or cinebench on a loop in the other hand, go for amd, they have a 10-15% advantage.

what if he just wants to do emulation and PC gaming ? just reading he seems to interested in that or have I got it wrong ? in that case 7800x3d seems the obvious choice

Last edited:
what if he just wants to do emulation and PC gaming ? just reading he seems to interested in that or have I got it wrong ? in that case 7800x3d seems the obvious choice
You are right it is my use case. I would love to have more than 8 cores but not the way AMD does it at the moment with 7900x3d and 7950x3d where they disable half the cpu for gaming.
Hopefully future 3D cache CPUs have a way around that limitation or maybe it will be implemented in windows or games.

You are right it is my use case. I would love to have more than 8 cores but not the way AMD does it at the moment with 7900x3d and 7950x3d where they disable half the cpu for gaming.
Hopefully future 3D cache CPUs have a way around that limitation or maybe it will be implemented in windows or games.

thought so not sure why he went with the creator angle
if thats the use case I would go with 7800x3d , its hard to ignore how efficient it is in gaming not seen emulation power use but would be very surprised if it used more also you have option to drop in zen5/x3d later if you want and maybe support beyond that

Last edited:
thought so not sure why he went with the creator angle
if thats the use case I would go with 7800x3d , its hard to ignore how efficient it is in gaming not seen emulation power use but would be very surprised if it used more also you have option to drop in zen5/x3d later if you want and maybe support beyond that
Yeah I will keep my preorder due to the fact that I can upgrade later on to much more powerful cpu.
It is swing and roundabouts for me between the two really and the problem is I am very inpatient and want everything asap lol.
Due to my impatient nature it’s always easier for me to go with Nvidia gpus where I get maximum performance right at the start and new features much earlier than with AMD.
The fact that I have to wait for 7800x3d was pushing me towards Intel that I can get right now.

Would go for the 7950x 3d. 8 cores for that price on the 7800x 3d is a scam. I can see it struggle in heavy games like the last of us / cyberpunk etc.

If you are not doing anything remotely heavy in terms of multithreaded, go Intel. Technotice has an interesting comparison with power from the wall for creators, the 13900k slaughters the 7950x in terms of both performance and efficiency. That's because photoshop premiere and the rest of Adobe suite is a mixed workload and in those Intel thrives. If you are running prime or cinebench on a loop in the other hand, go for amd, they have a 10-15% advantage.
I did watch his video and indeed it was very interesting. While I don’t do any creative work i would love to have lower idle power consumption. At the moment my desktop idles at 100-120W which is a bit high and it doesn’t even have any mechanical drives or water pumps in it.

Last edited:
Would go for the 7950x 3d. 8 cores for that price on the 7800x 3d is a scam. I can see it struggle in heavy games like the last of us / cyberpunk etc.
But 7950x3D disables half the cores when gaming so it is nothing more than 7800x3D in this regard.

I did watch his video and indeed it was very interesting. While I don’t do any creative work i would love to have lower idle power consumption. At the moment my desktop idles at 100-120W which is a bit high and i doesn’t even have any mechanical drives or water pumps in it.

I set windows power plan to best efficiency when just browsing web etc stops the random spikes cpu stays around 26w , guess you need to work out the saving while gaming which the 7800x3d is much more efficient if it out weighs while idle time

I did watch his video and indeed it was very interesting. While I don’t do any creative work i would love to have lower idle power consumption. At the moment my desktop idles at 100-120W which is a bit high and it doesn’t even have any mechanical drives or water pumps in it.
NVME drives can easily pull a lot more than mechanical drives. You don’t get that extra performance for free.

Your monitor will be likely pulling more power than the system.

Last edited:

no would go with 7800x3d its £439 compared to £739.99 for 7950x3d thats £300 difference which I wont call small, I could put that into motherboard / ram etc, is the gaming performance in the few games very bad would I get massive dips to ruin my experience at 1440p / 4k ? and I would be one of the ones would drop in zen5/x3d I dont need the extra cores of 7950x3d I dont do any productivity its wasted on me and it doesnt make use for gaming as the CCD's are split would cause latency penalty anyway

7800x3d for me the efficiency during gaming is hard to ignore and if I want can drop in zen5/x3d later on

Last edited:
no would go with 7800x3d its £439 compared to £739.99 for 7950x3d thats £300 difference which I wont call small, I could put that into motherboard / ram etc, is the gaming performance in the few games very bad would I get massive dips to ruin my experience at 1440p / 4k ? and I would be one of the ones would drop in zen5/x3d I dont need the extra cores of 7950x3d I dont do any productivity its wasted on me and it doesnt make use for gaming as the CCD's are split would cause latency penalty anyway

7800x3d for me the efficiency during gaming is hard to ignore and if I want can drop in zen5/x3d later on
I assume you haven't tried TLOU or any of the heavy games on your 5800x 3d,else you would realize what happens to 8 core cpus in those. 8 cores should be at the 200-250 price point nowadays, they are not suitable for high end gaming.

I haven't yet seen some actual footage from TLOU or cp on the 7800x 3d,so I'll withhold my judgment for now, but let's say I'd be impressed it it beat a 12900k, let alone a 13900k in those games, just because of the lack of cores.

I assume you haven't tried TLOU or any of the heavy games on your 5800x 3d,else you would realize what happens to 8 core cpus in those. 8 cores should be at the 200-250 price point nowadays, they are not suitable for high end gaming.

I haven't yet seen some actual footage from TLOU or cp on the 7800x 3d,so I'll withhold my judgment for now, but let's say I'd be impressed it it beat a 12900k, let alone a 13900k in those games, just because of the lack of cores.

8 core CPU’s are £200-£250 lol have been for ages…

Back
Top Bottom