• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Well yes but that is the point it will show more information.

Well if others are testing they need to do the same for you to compare so isn't it better to compare at stock as that's what most others will be using ?

I have mine left at stock , I don't see difference in that area to any other area in frame time

Well if others are testing they need to do the same for you to compare so isn't it better to compare at stock as that's what most others will be using ?

I have mine left at stock , I don't see difference in that area to any other area in frame time
That’s fair enough its just that making it update faster shows more data so more of those stutters are visible in the graph if they are there.
If they are not there it won’t show them even if you increase update rate.

IMG-3708.jpg

@uscool this is frametime graph from cyberpunk when spinning around and also it’s updating 10x a second.
As you can see the line is 99% flat and there’s 0 visible stutter in the game.

Last edited:
Not quite ML or AL but Noctua showcases an air cooler which could keep an Intel Sapphire Rapids Xeon w9-3495X cool while it pulled 700W:
I guess those tiny industrial fans can cool a lot too but server rooms are silly loud; this at least looks it wouldn't need ear defenders.

Have to say that 700W CPUs are definitely a worrying trend. Seems Intel are going back down the P4 brute-force route. Although to be fair, that CPU "only" has an official power of 420W:

Not quite ML or AL but Noctua showcases an air cooler which could keep an Intel Sapphire Rapids Xeon w9-3495X cool while it pulled 700W:
I guess those tiny industrial fans can cool a lot too but server rooms are silly loud; this at least looks it wouldn't need ear defenders.

Have to say that 700W CPUs are definitely a worrying trend. Seems Intel are going back down the P4 brute-force route. Although to be fair, that CPU "only" has an official power of 420W:
Any cooler can do that on such a huge die. I'd actually say it's pretty trivial. My U12A handles 330w on the much smaller 13900k die.

700W on air is impressive. Would like to know the weight of the heatsink though! We'll be seeing Intel's next socket have 8 mounting holes soon :D

Intel confirms “Adamantine” L4 cache for Meteor Lake​

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-confirms-adamantine-l4-cache-for-meteor-lake

Videocardz said:
Intel has already confirmed the use of Level 4 caches for its upcoming System on a Chip codenamed Meteor Lake. This was first reported by Phoronix in the recent Linux patches. Other than confirming the return of L4 cache on processors, similar to eDRAM that we had on the Intel Broadwell platform, the details on Meteor Lake implementations are missing.

As it turns out, Intel had already filed a patent that may explain the use of such cache. According to the patent from December 2020, the ‘next-generation SoC architecture’ aka Meteor Lake is to feature ‘on-package caches’. In other words, the Adamantine cache would be part of the base tile that could be accessed by any of the building blocks of next-gen SoC.

Meteor Lake will fully embrace the hybrid architecture combining five different tiles: CPU, SoC, GPU, I/O and base tile. The Adamantine cache would offer much faster access time than any typical cache like L3, which is typically part of the CPU tile.

As explained by Intel, the main purpose of L4 cache is to improve boot optimization and increase security around the host CPU. Furthermore, the L4 cache would preserve the cache at reset, leading to improved loading times that would otherwise have to go through all boot/reset cycles.

Meteor lake is such a big change for Intel, I wonder if it'll be able to compete with Raptor Lake/Zen4. It could take a few generations for their chiplet technology to achieve better performance than their current, monolithic dies.

As explained by Intel, the main purpose of L4 cache is to improve boot optimization and increase security around the host CPU. Furthermore, the L4 cache would preserve the cache at reset, leading to improved loading times that would otherwise have to go through all boot/reset cycles.

Huh, who cares? Does it add fps?

for 14th Gen, i3 and i5 will be based on Meteor Lake and has to up 6 P cores and 16 E cores. 14th Gen i7 and i9 will based on Arrow Lake and has up to 8 P cores and 16 E cores

Interesting to see Intel will be using two different architectures for 14th Gen. other than the 2 extra P cores that the i9 will get over the i5, the main difference is probably IPC

Last edited:
I7 will likely be the star of the show as it will be an Arrow Lake chip. I didn't realise there's a planned refresh though, thought we were heading straight to the next chip.

Still, will be interesting to see how much of an uplift comes along.

Shame about the need to change boards but then again if you want faster ram then not much choice anyway?

I7 will likely be the star of the show as it will be an Arrow Lake chip. I didn't realise there's a planned refresh though, thought we were heading straight to the next chip.

Still, will be interesting to see how much of an uplift comes along.

Shame about the need to change boards but then again if you want faster ram then not much choice anyway?

True, the i7 will likely be the best performance/price ratio this time around, over the i5. i9 being for bragging rights more than anything.

Yes I am waiting for 14th gen too, from 12700KF to 14700K would be a nice upgrade in both efficiency and performance. Will stay on DDR4 though, see no reason to need to upgrade entire platform if the socket still supports 14th gen which it should. Hell even currently my benchmarks match up to DDR5 systems with the same CPU and GPU combo.

Also, this news just caught my feed:

How silly....

Last edited:
Yes I am waiting for 14th gen too, from 12700KF to 14700K would be a nice upgrade in both efficiency and performance. Will stay on DDR4 though, see no reason to need to upgrade entire platform if the socket still supports 14th gen which it should. Hell even currently my benchmarks match up to DDR5 systems with the same CPU and GPU combo.

Also, this news just caught my feed:

How silly....

LGA1700 ends with Raptor Lake refresh. 14th and 15th gen are on a new socket, LGA-1851, which is DDR5 only.

14th gen is intel's first chipset attempt, perhaps it'll be amazing on launch but I suspect it'll have quite a few caveats.

Back
Top Bottom