• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

That makes sense, so just keep an ear out for the last release for LGA1700 - I'll go that route. The 13700K is not enough of an upgrade to warrant the price increase vs a 12700K as well as the increased power consumption, so hoping the refresh is of the more efficient variety like how 12th gen is. I want to get another CPU upgrade into this build as that's what I've been able to do with all builds for decades.

That makes sense, so just keep an ear out for the last release for LGA1700 - I'll go that route. The 13700K is not enough of an upgrade to warrant the price increase vs a 12700K as well as the increased power consumption, so hoping the refresh is of the more efficient variety like how 12th gen is. I want to get another CPU upgrade into this build as that's what I've been able to do with all builds for decades.

Makes sense. I'm very curious at how much performance they can wrangle out of Raptor Lake at this point. Some have compared it to 4770k/4790k (haswell to Devil's Canyon) - though I think Intel need to do more than that for it to be meaningful.

Q1-Q2 2024 - long way off. Think that's why they were forced to do a Raptor Lake refresh before then, on LGA1700.
2024 or 2023? :
Intel last week told investors "Meteor Lake product on Intel 4 is ramping production wafer starts for an expected launch in the second half of 2023."
Or will that be Laptops only?

Last edited:
2024 or 2023? :
Intel last week told investors "Meteor Lake product on Intel 4 is ramping production wafer starts for an expected launch in the second half of 2023."
Or will that be Laptops only?

For desktop it's 2024 according to latest leaks.

They might have 14th gen on mobile at the end of this year just to satisfy investors and tick a box - but no high power desktop parts.

Intel Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake overview suggests up to 20% IPC uplift vs Raptor Lake for ARL and single-digit gain for MTL​

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...L-and-single-digit-gain-for-MTL.713356.0.html

Notebookcheck.net said:
Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake CPUs are expected to share the “15th gen” moniker as the former will allegedly only target the mainstream Core i5 buyers while the enthusiasts will be served by the latter. According to a recent leak from RedGamingTech, the P-cores on Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake CPUs will bring a single-digit and up to 20% IPC gain vs Intel Raptor Lake respectively.

Looking like Arrow Lake (15th gen) may be the one to go for if you're looking for a decent performance jump. This leak also suggests no 8P core parts for 14th gen, which was first leaked over a year ago.

Last edited:
New MLID video

His claims:

14th Gen: All 14th Gen desktop chips are a Raptor Lake refresh and it launches between August and October 2023

* Remains as up to 8 P core and 16 E core

* Has only single digit gain in single thread over 13th th Gen but larger multithread gains.

* Due to new voltage controller, higher clocks can be extracted - rumour to be between 6.2ghz and 6.5ghz in single core

* For laptop 14th gen uses Meteor Lake architecture and the reason is that the main selling point for Meteor Lake is its iGPU- this is because 14th Gen has a very large gain in performance per watt for the onboard iGPU and according to MLID it means that laptop makers will stop using Nvidia GPUs under the 60 series so they can get Apple type battery life

15th Gen: Built on 2nm and 3nm, launches August - October 2024

* Much more significant upgrades - 30% faster than 14th Gen in single thread and 40% faster in multithread, due to new P core architecture.

* Remains as 8 P core and 16 E core, the performance gains are all IPC from the new P core

Last edited:
New MLID video

His claims:

14th Gen: All 14th Gen desktop chips are a Raptor Lake refresh and it launches between August and October 2023

* Remains as up to 8 P core and 16 E core

* Has only single digit gain in single thread over 13th th Gen but larger multithread gains.

* Due to new voltage controller, higher clocks can be extracted - rumour to be between 6.2ghz and 6.5ghz in single core

* For laptop 14th gen uses Meteor Lake architecture and the reason is that the main selling point for Meteor Lake is its iGPU- this is because 14th Gen has a very large gain in performance per watt for the onboard iGPU and according to MLID it means that laptop makers will stop using Nvidia GPUs under the 60 series so they can get Apple type battery life

15th Gen: Built on 2nm and 3nm, launches August - October 2024

* Much more significant upgrades - 30% faster than 14th Gen in single thread and 40% faster in multithread, due to new P core architecture.

* Remains as 8 P core and 16 E core, the performance gains are all IPC from the new P core

Hmm this goes against all other leaks, where Raptor lake refresh didn't get the 14th gen name and was still LGA1700.

6.2-6.5Ghz would be amazing though, if they manage it on LGA1700 then even better, though new voltage controller would mandate a new platform/socket.

Hmm this goes against all other leaks, where Raptor lake refresh didn't get the 14th gen name and was still LGA1700.

6.2-6.5Ghz would be amazing though, if they manage it on LGA1700 then even better, though new voltage controller would mandate a new platform/socket.
6.2 ghz for all core? Yeah, not happening, lol

Or to put it better, if they can pull another huge improvement back to back on the same node, then yeah maybe they should skip investing in a better node altogether. RPL is already 40% faster than ALD on same wattage, and now this? I don't believe it until I see it

Last edited:
.... RPL is already 40% faster than ALD on same wattage,....

If that is the case then why would you go back to your ALD 12900K from a RPL 13900K, complaining that the 13900K uses too much power while gaming? Or ask for proof when told a 13700K could use the same amount of power as a 12900K but yet be faster? :confused:

If that is the case then why would you go back to your ALD 12900K from a RPL 13900K, complaining that the 13900K uses too much power while gaming? Or ask for proof when told a 13700K could use the same amount of power as a 12900K but yet be faster? :confused:
Gamin is not the same as multithreading. In multithreading performance and efficiency the 13900k is pretty amazing actually, much better than the 12900k. But in gaming - not that much.

According to everything so far including in MLID's video the refresh will be LGA1700, Wouldn't make much sense to lock it to a socket coming out next year for a completely different line.

Last edited:
According to everything so far including in MLID's video the refresh will be LGA1700, Wouldn't make much sense to lock it to a socket coming out next year for a completely different line.

The new voltage controller rumour all but mandates a new motherboard platform though - perhaps that part of the leak is just nonsense.

The new voltage controller rumour all but mandates a new motherboard platform though - perhaps that part of the leak is just nonsense.

Yeah it wouldn't make sense IMO, While Intel couldn't get that improved voltage regulator to work properly on 12th and 13th gen I imagine it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to think they got it to work on the refresh... plus it's a huge selling point for them to be able to say it's compatible with Z690 and Z790.

Last edited:
If you mean DLVR then it is available on Asus Z690/Z790 boards but is currently disabled but going forward should be able to have it enabled for the refresh via a bios update ... https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-dlvr-fused-off-in-raptor-lake

If Z690 boards get 14th gen (which is now rumoured to be the raptor lake refresh and not meteor lake) I'll be very surprised but happy. It's already an odd feeling on Intel for me, going from a 12900k to a 13900k on my Maximus Z690 hero. If rumours are true and 14th gen raptor lake refresh is 6.2-6.5Ghz, 30% reduced power thanks to new voltage regulator, then damn.......

Still don't buy it :D

Gamin is not the same as multithreading. In multithreading performance and efficiency the 13900k is pretty amazing actually, much better than the 12900k. But in gaming - not that much.
What you just wrote makes little sense. All the fully multi-threaded programs I use (not benchmarks) use more (CPU) power than any game I've played.

It comes over as if you've made two contradictory statements and are now trying to save face with some contrived nonsensical explanation.

Back
Top Bottom