• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Maybe the colleague above spends most of their time in idle mode :D, personally, I don't. I bought a computer to use it, not to watch it. :D
I spend most of my time working, but sadly that doesn't involve cinebench on a loop but excels / multiple browsers / multiple tasks but not very multithreaded.. My 12900k does that at 6 watt average, any zen cpu ((besides the one on my laptop) i've tried needs 30-40-50 watts for the same tasks. So yeah, they consumes up to 8 much as much wattage.

12900k is "slow" though compared to 7800x3d/7950x3d/13900k, so doesn't matter if it's lower power. Zen4X3D still lower power, much more performance.
It is if you are playing on 1080p with a 4090, but I don't.. That's why I basically went back to my 12900k, there was literally 0% difference in performance while the 13900k consumed around 80% more power. Actually id be interested in seeing how much your 3d consumes in normal 4k gaming, cause id imagine it's not that much different to my 12900k. I expect exactly similar performance with exactly similar power draw, but you are mroe than welcome to prove otherwise

I have a 13600K so its nice if a refresh happens but a lot of leakers where saying that Zen 3+ desktop was a sure thing then it didnt happen.

It is if you are playing on 1080p with a 4090, but I don't.. That's why I basically went back to my 12900k, there was literally 0% difference in performance while the 13900k consumed around 80% more power. Actually id be interested in seeing how much your 3d consumes in normal 4k gaming, cause id imagine it's not that much different to my 12900k. I expect exactly similar performance with exactly similar power draw, but you are mroe than welcome to prove otherwise

4090 needs the fastest CPU possible, even for 4K. Throw in RT at 4K and it becomes even more important. 12900k is not fast enough to get the most out of a 4090. 13900k is, but guzzles power. Zen4X3D sips power, while performing the same. GG

Maybe the colleague above spends most of their time in idle mode :D, personally, I don't. I bought a computer to use it, not to watch it. :D

I work from home, where I connect to my work environment via VPN, so no compute is done on my side. Thus, for my working week, my 13900k is very low power draw, which I like. My 7950x3D uses around 25W more for the same (practically idle) workload. That's the only scenario Intel still has the upperhand.

I expect Intel to surrender it, once they move to chiplets designs with Meteor/Arrow Lake.

4090 needs the fastest CPU possible, even for 4K. Throw in RT at 4K and it becomes even more important. 12900k is not fast enough to get the most out of a 4090. 13900k is, but guzzles power. Zen4X3D sips power, while performing the same. GG
Sure, show me. Post your cyberpunk 4k and ill post mine :D After all if I'm missing performance on my 4090 I want to know so I can upgrade to the new 3ds

EG1. Need I repeat that I had both CPUs and the difference in 4k was literally 0%?

Last edited:
So I tested it just for the giggles, on a bone stock 12900k

With RT ultra at 1080p the card is at 99%. Dropping to 1600x900 has the card still sitting like a rock at 99%. I needed to drop down to 1366x768 to see any amount of CPU bottlenecking, and even the card was usually sitting at the high 80's.

With PT enabled even the minimum resolution allowed from within the game, which was 1024x768, had the GPU pegged at 99%. I needed to activate DLSS Q (on 1024x768!! lol) to actually see any amount of CPU bottleneck.

So you are claiming that at 4k a 12900k will bottleneck a 4090, when in reality you need to drop to below 768p for that to happen. LOL :D :D

I work from home, where I connect to my work environment via VPN, so no compute is done on my side. Thus, for my working week, my 13900k is very low power draw, which I like. My 7950x3D uses around 25W more for the same (practically idle) workload. That's the only scenario Intel still has the upperhand.

I expect Intel to surrender it, once they move to chiplets designs with Meteor/Arrow Lake.
A slightly higher power consumption in idle is the cost of the chiplet design, but it's a very small price to pay when you consider the benefits of the chiplet design. AMD not only has superior performance and efficiency, but also much better yields, fewer defects, excellent core scaling, and so on. Intel is also aiming for the same goals and will soon transition to chiplet design. They might be a bit late, but better late than never.

A slightly higher power consumption in idle is the cost of the chiplet design, but it's a very small price to pay when you consider the benefits of the chiplet design. AMD not only has superior performance and efficiency, but also much better yields, fewer defects, excellent core scaling, and so on. Intel is also aiming for the same goals and will soon transition to chiplet design. They might be a bit late, but better late than never.
5 to 8 times more power is "slightly" more? lol, yeah right. AMD is a power hog for most day to day stuff. On desktop cpus that is, their laptop chips are great

"Superior efficiency" while consuming 8 times more power, checks out lol

Take a deep breath and watch this. "Superior efficiency", I can't stop laughing at that statement, lol

Last edited:
Last edited:
Gigabyte adds "next gen" support to LGA 1700 motherboard, pretty much confirming 14th gen will be Raptorlake refresh.

Τhat is fast, considering they won't come out for another 3-4 months probably? With any boost to ST performance Intel will have complete dominance in both ST and MT performance for at least 1 year until zen 5 comes out. Ouch, AMD needs to up their game asap, we need competition

Τhat is fast, considering they won't come out for another 3-4 months probably? With any boost to ST performance Intel will have complete dominance in both ST and MT performance for at least 1 year until zen 5 comes out. Ouch, AMD needs to up their game asap, we need competition

I can see AMD coming out with XT SKU's that have higher clocks, Their 7950X needs a 2nd variation with 3D cache on both dies rather than just 1, Could call it the 7950XT 3D+.

Last edited:
Gigabyte adds "next gen" support to LGA 1700 motherboard, pretty much confirming 14th gen will be Raptorlake refresh.

They may refrain from calling it 14th gen. At least for the i9, it's very likely going to be a very underwhelming part. They can't add cores, features, so it'll just be slightly higher clocks with even high power consumption. That's unless they put Raptor Lake onto 7nm, though that would be too drastic.

I expect the i7 to be a 8P & 16E core config, with reduced clocks. So basically 14700k being a 13900k. Same treatment for the i5 etc.

I can see AMD coming out with XT SKU's that have higher clocks, Their 7950X needs a 2nd variation with 3D cache on both dies rather than just 1, Could call it the 7950XT 3D+.
3d cache on both sides would make it even slower in both ST and MT performance, it would be losing to the 13900k massively, let alone the new 14900k.

They may refrain from calling it 14th gen. At least for the i9, it's very likely going to be a very underwhelming part. They can't add cores, features, so it'll just be slightly higher clocks with even high power consumption. That's unless they put Raptor Lake onto 7nm, though that would be too drastic.

I expect the i7 to be a 8P & 16E core config, with reduced clocks. So basically 14700k being a 13900k. Same treatment for the i5 etc.

It's a leak site but at this point I'd say it's pretty safe to assume the refresh will be called the 14th gen, Just like how there was nearly nothing between 10th and 11th gen performance wise.

I have a 13600K so its nice if a refresh happens but a lot of leakers where saying that Zen 3+ desktop was a sure thing then it didnt happen.

It will be nice if it’s a significant change in architecture and/or performance on the same socket. If it’s a 13600k by another name it will be pretty lame.

Reactions: G J

That's right, a 100-200 MHz higher clock speed with a 100-150W higher power consumption, it's a disaster. It reminds me of the Pentium 4 era where Intel could only increase clock speed and power consumption. Intel seems very helpless, lost; they are not doing well in both the CPU and GPU segments.

That's right, a 100-200 MHz higher clock speed with a 100-150W higher power consumption, it's a disaster. It reminds me of the Pentium 4 era where Intel could only increase clock speed and power consumption. Intel seems very helpless, lost; they are not doing well in both the CPU and GPU segments.

A 14c (6 ring 8 mesh) i3 would be good. Horribly power hungry, but good. Enable DDR4 ECC support on current motherboards and Intel could be onto something. Not going to happen though, as Intel would have to put in some effort.

So was 11th gen didn't stop them, agreed it's more like place holder till the big changes happen after this release

Last edited:
Power draw on these will be insane? Intel is probably just best off skipping a release altogether. Although clearly they won’t as the board manufacturers have been showing them all off with uprated power delivery…

Back
Top Bottom