• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Intel Core i9-14900K and “Raptor Lake-S/HX Refresh” to use old Core series branding​

SzbFGVu.jpg

T6rP40r.jpg

Last edited:
Intel came back with a vengeance last time with Merom/Allendale/Conroe, 3 years after Athlon 64 was launched.

Zen 3 launched nearly 3 years ago now and took the crown. (Not that Intel were looking particularly pretty against Zen 2).

What are Intel even doing?

Last edited:
They have the faster cpus on every price point, thats what they are doing :D

You only go for faster CPUs at lower price points if you are slower. That's what AMD had to do for Zen and Zen 2.

What do Intel have quicker than a 7800X3D for gaming or 7900X/7950X for productivity.

They don't even have anything promising in the pipeline. More of the, 'let's throw more power at the problem'.

Last edited:
So the refresh is confirmed to be using the old naming scheme and keeping the 'i' in the name?

Hoping these will also be confirmed to fit into Z690 boards so i can maybe grab one to try out!

Last edited:
@Jay85 Perhaps it was in another thread I mentioned that Gigabyte included support for the up and coming CPU's, I assume, in a recent update....

1. Supports and powers up Intel next generation processor
for my Z690 board.

@Jay85 Perhaps it was in another thread I mentioned that Gigabyte included support for the up and coming CPU's, I assume, in a recent update....

1. Supports and powers up Intel next generation processor
for my Z690 board.

Need to check bios updates for my Asus board to see if it has anything. The thing i hate about bios updates, it wipes all my overclocked profiles :cry:, have to take note on what i've set everything to before i do so.

Need to check bios updates for my Asus board to see if it has anything. The thing i hate about bios updates, it wipes all my overclocked profiles :cry:, have to take note on what i've set everything to before i do so.
You should be able to save all your oc profiles to usb then just reload them once new bios is installed , will be under Tools / Asus user profiles :)

My Z790 Hero just got a bios update mentioning new cpu so yes they are coming to Z690/Z790 boards :)

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO BIOS 1202

Version 1202
11.65 MB 2023/06/16
"“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.27.2176 to ensure optimized system settings.”
1. Improve system stability and compatibility for the next-gen processors
2. Fix the compatibility and instability issues when configuring RAID for high-capacity storage
3. Do update the intel ME to version 16.1.27.2176

You should be able to save all your oc profiles to usb then just reload them once new bios is installed , will be under Tools / Asus user profiles :)

My Z790 Hero just got a bios update mentioning new cpu so yes they are coming to Z690/Z790 boards :)

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO BIOS 1202

Version 1202
11.65 MB 2023/06/16
"“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.27.2176 to ensure optimized system settings.”
1. Improve system stability and compatibility for the next-gen processors
2. Fix the compatibility and instability issues when configuring RAID for high-capacity storage
3. Do update the intel ME to version 16.1.27.2176

Nice! I just checked and no bios update yet except for the last one i did back in March for more DRAM stability for overclocking. Will keep an eye out.

Not read much on the new refresh, whats the expected ipc uplift over 12th gen or 13th gen for that matter?

Man i really hope they bump up the number of P cores at least on this refresh, i think they've done that on past refreshes? Maybe the same thing will happen here.

Nice! I just checked and no bios update yet except for the last one i did back in March for more DRAM stability for overclocking. Will keep an eye out.

Not read much on the new refresh, whats the expected ipc uplift over 12th gen or 13th gen for that matter?
Core count is staying the same as we have now, any performance uplift will come from faster clock speeds which is being achieved by using this new dlvr which allows the chip to operate at lower voltage but then intel use that head room to increase core clocks further than we have now ultimately leading to similar heat/power draw we have now but at higher clock speeds. As for how much performance , i have seen from 5% to 20% uplift over what we have now been quoted with Single threaded stuff having the smallest gains while Multithreading picks up the higher percentage gains . It should be a nice upgrade for those on 12th gen but if you are lucky enough to have a golden sample 13th gen then maybe keep what you got already . Apparently 15th gen ( Arrow lake ) is where we will see substantial gains over what we have now .

Agree, with Gigabyte they seem to prevent me from loading the previous saved profiles from a different BIOS revision. It has been like that for some time now. Fan profiles are ok between revisions.
So I just take a ton of screenshots and hope for the best, typically forgetting the most important, lol.

Agree, with Gigabyte they seem to prevent me from loading the previous saved profiles from a different BIOS revision. It has been like that for some time now. Fan profiles are ok between revisions.
So I just take a ton of screenshots and hope for the best, typically forgetting the most important, lol.

Same! It's the ones i forgot that usually have the biggest impact on the systems stability or performance lol. Then i spend hours back tracking and figuring out what i had already figured out previously but because i've forgotten what the settings were! How irritating..

Same! It's the ones i forgot that usually have the biggest impact on the systems stability or performance lol. Then i spend hours back tracking and figuring out what i had already figured out previously but because i've forgotten what the settings were! How irritating..

It's at times like those that I start to wonder why I bother with overclocking at all.......

Not only do I forget the settings but I typically forget where the damn sub-sub-page is within the BIOS to try and apply them..!

It's at times like those that I start to wonder why I bother with overclocking at all.......

Not only do I forget the settings but I typically forget where the damn sub-sub-page is within the BIOS to try and apply them..!

Yup! Same as you! There are so many settings and sub pages within subs and some settings are rather well hidden even if they are essential i think for overclocking. I enjoy overclocking rather than the gains it brings tbf, just like to tinker with new hardware and see how far i can push it before i blue screen :cry:.

Yup! Same as you! There are so many settings and sub pages within subs and some settings are rather well hidden even if they are essential i think for overclocking. I enjoy overclocking rather than the gains it brings tbf, just like to tinker with new hardware and see how far i can push it before i blue screen :cry:.

It's not like the days of having a Celery CPU and overclock from 300 to 450Mhz, iirc. The margins are pretty meagre, comparative.
As I have got older I would have thought that a modicum of common sense would prevail, glad that I'm not the only one where that seems lacking :D

Intel’s new branding for Meteor Lake Core CPUs revealed​

kl3E2N2.jpg

Better than I was expecting. Still curious how they'll name rocket lake refresh on desktop (14th gen?) or whether that will get the new naming scheme too.

Intel marketing team in effect and Dave2150 posting about it. This is not a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom