• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

The rumour is 6 performance cores not 6 cores in total. The leaker is probably MLID, Red Gaming Tech or one of the countless Twitter leakers.

For the desktop though I'm wondering how long it will be until we got more the 8 proper cores again? Intel was upto to 10 by the time of Comet Lake but since then the core count has been going backwards then remained stagnant. I do wonder if Intel would benefit from manufacturing their CPU's on TSMC's 7nm process (from a performance stand point)?
6 cores will definitely be a bottleneck in gaming; 8 cores are considered the minimum requirement nowadays. If they had added those extra 2 cores, then we could talk about a complete product, excellent for gaming with sufficient cores and also suitable for multi-threaded applications that benefit from smaller cores. As it is now, it's a semi-finished product.

AMD and Linux are actually everywhere though.
The majority of servers run on Linux, and thanks to Linux, we have a stable internet and infrastructure. It is the foundation of everything we do on the internet, and the largest companies choose AMD's Epyc for these purposes.

The majority of servers run on Linux, and thanks to Linux, we have a stable internet and infrastructure. It is the foundation of everything we do on the internet, and the largest companies choose AMD's Epyc for these purposes.

When I was a young squire I worked part time for a now defunct hardware and software supplier. I used to sell a lot of copies of Linux to Microsoft UK. I asked once why they don’t they use Windows, the chap just chuckled and walked out with 20 copies of Redhat.

Quantity does not imply quality. Linux is used in areas where stability and security are paramount. Those casual users for whom forums are the pinnacle of everything find Windows excellent - just switch off your brain and surf.

This is a 12900k @ 65w,scores 17880. So 275 points per watt. The 13th gen i7 @ 65w scores 19500, 303 pts / watt. That's 10% more. 14th gen i7 will hit 21450 point assuming there is a similar jump. That's 330 pts for watt. It will be the king of efficiency, might convince me to upgrade.

65w.jpg
[/URL]

For reference the very efficient R7 3d gets 239 pts / watt, trailing the 12900k and the 13700k by a whooping 15% and 26% in efficiency. Intel 10 > tsmc 5

Last edited:
This is a 12900k @ 65w,scores 17880. So 275 points per watt. The 13th gen i7 @ 65w scores 19500, 303 pts / watt. That's 10% more. 14th gen i7 will hit 21450 point assuming there is a similar jump. That's 330 pts for watt.

For reference the very efficient R7 3d gets 239 pts / watt, trailing the 12900k and the 13700k by a whooping 15% and 26% in efficiency.

About half AMD’s part. The 14000 chips need to be 450-500

Now let's check 35watts.

The 12900k score 15.200 points, that's 434 pts / watt. Sadly the i7 13th doesn't scale that much down there, only managed 15.700 points, so 448 pts / watt. So expecting similar jumps, the 14th gen i7 might hit 16170 points, so 462pts / watt. Not that great, would be amazing if it could match the 12900k @ 65watts.

For reference the very efficient R7 3d gets 0 pts / watt, too power hungry to even boot at that low wattage.

Last edited:
Now let's check 35watts.

The 12900k score 15.200 points, that's 434 pts / watt. Sadly the i7 13th doesn't scale that much down there, only managed 15.700 points, so 448 pts / watt. So expecting similar jumps, the 14th gen i7 might hit 16170 points, so 462pts / watt. Not that great, would be amazing if it could match the 12900k @ 65watts.

For reference the very efficient R7 3d gets 0 pts / watt, too power hungry to even boot at that low wattage.

My hunch is around a third of AMD

With half the cores.

Alder lake is Skylake plus Atom just like upcoming lakes. Intel only have one lake.
No one is stopping AMD from adding more cores or sell them for cheaper. They are currently selling them for i7 prices, named them R7, so that's what they are competing against. If they named them R3 (which is where they belong in terms of mt performance) I would compare them with the i3s.

Last edited:
Strolls into thread on new CPUs to find Bencher banging on about an old CPU, run at a pointless power level to convince people it's efficient in an imaginary situation no one uses it at.

Top notch bants.

Last edited:
No one is stopping AMD from adding more cores or sell them for cheaper. They are currently selling them for i7 prices, named them R7, so that's what they are competing against. If they named them R3 (which is where they belong in terms of mt performance) I would compare them with the i3s.

Can you do one at 400~watts please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom