• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Strolls into thread on new CPUs to find Bencher banging on about an old CPU, run at a pointless power level to convince people it's efficient in an imaginary situation no one uses it at.

Top notch bants.
The 13700k is an old cpu? Okay...

Im just predicting 14th gen performance based on the jump between 12th and 13th, that's all.

The 13700k is an old cpu? Okay...

Im just predicting 14th gen performance based on the jump between 12th and 13th, that's all.

It’s a Skylake and Atom derivative so yeah, pretty old. Intels Atom CPU was dropped long and dead.

Last edited:
Sadly I don't have data on 13th gen for 125w (if someone has one and is willing - would be interesting). Otherwise ill go with an assumption of 10% - exactly what we saw at the 65w testing.

So 12900k @ 125w gets a score of 25.983pts, that's 207 points / watt. With the 10% assumption the 13700k will be hitting 28581 points, so 228 points / watt. 14700k needs to be just 4% faster to break 30k!

125w.jpg

For reference the very efficient R7 get's 146 pts / watt (19810 score @ 135 watts), trailing the 12900k by 42% (!!!) and the 13700k by 56% in efficiency

Last edited:
Sadly I don't have data on 13th gen for 125w (if someone has one and is willing - would be interesting). Otherwise ill go with an assumption of 10% - exactly what we saw at the 65w testing.

So 12900k @ 125w gets a score of 25.983pts, that's 207 points / watt. With the 10% assumption the 13700k will be hitting 28581 points, so 228 points / watt. 14700k needs to be just 4% faster to break 30k!

For reference the very efficient R7 get's 146 pts / watt (19810 score @ 135 watts), trailing the 12900k by 42% (!!!) and the 13700k by 56% in efficiency

Most people can hit 500watts with a 12900K.

I just tested a 13600k limited to 77w in the old corona benchmark. Finished the bench in exactly 1 minute. Looking forward to 14th gen i5, will be brutal.

For reference

the fastest 7700x on the planet, leading the corona leaderboard - at 5.6 ghz delided and pulling god knows how many watts (over 9 thouzands) finished the bench in 1minute and 5 seconds :D

Last edited:
Really curious to see what 14th gen desktop (Raptor Lake Refresh) ends up as. It's got high potential to be the highest TDP CPU of all time, even more ludicrous power consumption than the 13900KS.

If the DLVR (Digital Linear Voltage Regulator) is included and does end up reducing power consumption, this could be interesting.

The only way I can see this being good, is if Intel have secretly improved their 10nm process. 10nm+++ etc. We need 30-50% power consumption reduction just for it to be able to compete with Zen4 in games.

Really curious to see what 14th gen desktop (Raptor Lake Refresh) ends up as. It's got high potential to be the highest TDP CPU of all time, even more ludicrous power consumption than the 13900KS.

If the DLVR (Digital Linear Voltage Regulator) is included and does end up reducing power consumption, this could be interesting.

The only way I can see this being good, is if Intel have secretly improved their 10nm process. 10nm+++ etc. We need 30-50% power consumption reduction just for it to be able to compete with Zen4 in games.

They'll just use any gains from DLVR to throw into higher clocks, if it's implemented.
They really need to get off the 10nm process asap as we all know.

At this point I'd just write anything off until Arrow Lake, sadly.

Last edited:

As the colleague above mentioned, the benefits of DLVR will disappear at such a high clock speed. They have reached the limit, and there is no technology that can significantly reduce it. Perhaps a drastic leap in the production process could make a difference, but that won't happen with this generation. We will have to wait for Arrow Lake for significant changes.

Haven't tested it myself but I've heard the 13900ks is much more efficient than the normal 13900k. Of course it depends on bin lottery but I've seen some crazy ks scores with much lower power draw than the normal 13900k. I've seen 42k CBR23 score at 200 watts, my normal K was pulling 270-280w for that score. The difference is pretty huge

Hot take: The current Raptor Lake is the Alderlake refresh and the 14th gen desktop is the Raptor Lake we where ment to get.

I hope Technotice revisits the Intel efficiency comparisons for content creators. 13th gen already had a huge lead in performance / watt, want to see how much bigger it can get with the refresh. Right now the 13900k is around 50% more efficient than it's competitors, if it can hit 70-80% on the refresh, that would be amazing. Imagine what they can do with a new node :eek:

Last edited:
Haven't tested it myself but I've heard the 13900ks is much more efficient than the normal 13900k. Of course it depends on bin lottery but I've seen some crazy ks scores with much lower power draw than the normal 13900k. I've seen 42k CBR23 score at 200 watts, my normal K was pulling 270-280w for that score. The difference is pretty huge

Mods - please stop him trolling. The 13900KS, at stock, is more power hungry than the 13900k, this is a simple fact confirmed by multiple reviewers:

pqRzLTS.png

Back
Top Bottom