• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Sure you can dial back Intel chips from silly power consumption levels but then performance drops behind lower core count better priced AMD chips at even lower power levels.
Core counts are irrelevant though. Performance and price isn't. An i7 is much more efficient than an R7, and so is the i5 against an R5 when you limit them to same wattage. That's why I don't get the whole craziness about intel's efficiency problem. There is no problem, lol. Well ok, in gaming there is, 13th gen consumes like a truck, but then again so do the non 3d big ryzen parts. It's only the 3d parts that knocked it out of the park there.

Last edited:
Core counts are irrelevant though. Performance and price isn't. An i7 is much more efficient than an R7, and so is the i5 against an R5 when you limit them to same wattage. That's why I don't get the whole craziness about intel's efficiency problem. There is no problem, lol. Well ok, in gaming there is, 13th gen consumes like a truck, but then again so do the non 3d big ryzen parts. It's only the 3d parts that knocked it out of the park there.

Seriously you need to knock this nonsense on the head, or at least a stop quoting with this garbage.

Look at this and try to absorb the data. It’s you that is crazy.

The problem is a relative concept in this case, but the fact is that AMD is significantly more efficient. However, there you go, we've learned from you that everyone else is wrong, and only you are right :D. Both AMD and Intel can be further optimized, but AMD will always be more efficient. We'll see what DSLVR will do regarding that at lower clock speeds because it certainly won't help them at 6 GHz.

The problem is a relative concept in this case, but the fact is that AMD is significantly more efficient
It's not though. ISO wattage an i7 is way more efficient than R7 in mt workloads. Heck, my old outdated 12900k is way more efficient than the latest and greatest R7.

Last edited:
Sorry haven't been keeping up with latest tech. For a gaming build is a 13700k a good choice or is it a white was for an AMD build?

The Ryzen 7000 X3D chips are in another league in terms of gaming, maybe as much as a 1/3 more performance. You then have a group of chips, Ryzen 7700, Ryzen 5800X3D and 13700k with similar performance. The downside with the 13700k is significantly more power use maybe as much as 150watts more even as much as 200watts. Because the 13700 produces significantly more heat it’s needs higher end more expensive cooling. Another down side with Intel is you have pretty much zero upgrade path. But with AMD you will get at least one major architectural upgrade and likely two. Yeah, it’s a total white wash for AMD.

Last edited:
Zen 5 (which is a completely new architecture built from the ground up) combined with the 3rd generation 3dcache developed on TSMC's 5nm process should be a significant leap compared to the current Zen 4-3d. Having the ability to upgrade is a great advantage for any brand, and I hope we will experience that with Intel, not just these mild refresh versions.

Last edited:
The 13700k is 50% faster in MT performance while consuming same watts as the 7800x 3d. The extra cores will definitely make it age better in games compared to the 7800x 3d with it's 8 cores, 8 cores belong in 2020.

The 13700k is 50% faster in MT performance while consuming same watts as the 7800x 3d. The extra cores will definitely make it age better in games compared to the 7800x 3d with it's 8 cores, 8 cores belong in 2020.

Will it though? Cache is more relevant to games at least for now, by the time the additional cores become relevant neither CPU will be particularly useful.

4790k was easily as competitive as some of the six core CPU’s for example.

A more relevant comparison is a 5600x3d, which is faster in games than a 5950x despite being clocked slower and having substantially less cores.

Last edited:
Will it though? Cache is more relevant to games at least for now, by the time the additional cores become relevant neither CPU will be particularly useful.

4790k was easily as competitive as some of the six core CPU’s for example.

A more relevant comparison is a 5600x3d, which is faster in games than a 5950x despite being clocked slower and having substantially less cores.
The 5950x and the 5600x 3d have the same cores, so yeah the one with the 3d cache is going to be faster. There are games right now that the 7800x 3d lags behind the 13700k or is at best equal, which I assume is due to the number of cores. Like TLOU, kingdom come deliverance, cyberpunk with PT (especially in heavy areas like tom's dinner).

It should be noted that Intel only has 8 P cores, and these E cores increase latency, which is crucial for gaming. There's no doubt that latency is significantly higher when data travels between P and E cores, and Cinebench is not a reliable benchmark. We know how it was with Zen 1, which excelled in Cinebench, but Intel outperformed it in games despite having fewer cores. How does Zen 1 fare today with those additional cores compared to Skylake?

The 5950x and the 5600x 3d have the same cores, so yeah the one with the 3d cache is going to be faster. There are games right now that the 7800x 3d lags behind the 13700k or is at best equal, which I assume is due to the number of cores. Like TLOU, kingdom come deliverance, cyberpunk with PT (especially in heavy areas like tom's dinner).
You're mistaken, free your mind. It's not about the number of cores, but rather the specific architecture that certain games leverage. Both sides have their favorite games that they excel in.

The 5950x and the 5600x 3d have the same cores, so yeah the one with the 3d cache is going to be faster.

But your argument is more cores = better. Surely with that theory, the 5950x which has 10 more cores over the 5600x3d should not be getting beaten so readily. Cache is more important than cores to most game engines. The longevity argument just doesn’t weigh up to me. I think the 7800x3d will probably end up outclassing the 13700k when it comes to gaming in the long run.

13900 has maybe single digit percent advantage in maybe .5% of games at 2-3x the power consumption. Intel also use 3x the amount threads to get that.

Last edited:
The extensive amount of cache in AMD processors will definitely secure them a smoother and better future. Even if the IPC may be slightly weaker for certain games, if the game can leverage that additional cache, it will provide a good boost. We can confidently say that 3dcache gives the processor a future-proof status and allows for graceful aging.

Back
Top Bottom