1930s Semi Refurb - Part 11 of ... (Summer House)

Look at the size /shape of those roofs you've posted relative to the flat roof on a small garden building..... There's going to be a lot less uplift from wind.
So you use smaller screws…….they come in all different sizes, why use a hurricane strap and twist nails, when you can use 1 screw……a screw that costs less than a £1 a piece.

Also why use upside down joist hangers, that means the roof wont sit flat on the timbers as the joist hanger would sit 3 or 4mm above the roof joists, just makes absolutely no sense at all. When 1 hidden screw can do it all and not cause and other issues and add structural strength.

Can't add anything technical but to say that I used some 250mm screws into sleepers last year.
The next day I could hardly move from all the bracing I was doing with my back to get enough torque to drive them in.

I would get an impact gun tbh if doing that again (in fact I did, I bought a new twinpack from Screwfix when they had the kit with the higher torque gun on offer)
Can screw those in single handed with an impact driver and it feels strangely good when doing so.

Never used screws that big. Do you need to pilot hole? Will a standard impact driver get them in?
Easily, pilot hole is advised on smaller timbers but I've driven them into sleepers without just fine.

Day 10 - another long shift but got the roof trimmers on and boarded, and then laid out the rubber. Man that thing is heavy!

---

Got the roof boarded (glued and screwed) after a day wrestling with trimmers. I have got them perfect tho so it was worth it. I'm out 8mm over 6.4m.

Rubber hulked up a ladder - 70kg. Almost killed me.

Laid out temporarily

7Hm6cZo.jpeg

Pausing here for a bit --- rain again tomorrow and then on holiday for a while. I also did a first skim and primered the front room so will try and have a go at that.

Did you have to cut all the uprights/walls c16 CLS from 2.4m down to a certain size?

I'm tempted to get my room about 2.6 or 2.7m for a little additional headroom in it. I'll be 1.8m off the boundary (so almost 2m and 3m is allowed) so will hope my neighbours who can't really see my garden anyway complain... Even if they did i could get retroactive planning.

Last edited:
Yeah, you'll have to cut some no matter what - unless you use fittings to get the drop; but that cut seems even worse than just using the chop saw lol.

Ah do you cut the front end vs the back end to get a fall on the "flat" roof and work out the differential on the timber walls in between?
Yeah front and back have the fall. Sides aren't supporting anything so just cut to the smallest height (generally the rear). Then when you clad in OSB you can cut the fall into it/snug to the roof. Roof joists run front to back so sides are just holding it square.

Yeah front and back have the fall. Sides aren't supporting anything so just cut to the smallest height (generally the rear). Then when you clad in OSB you can cut the fall into it/snug to the roof. Roof joists run front to back so sides are just holding it square.
Oh wow I didn't realise that! Sounds good, that'll be why there's more floor supports for the front/rear.

Let me know how the head clearance feels for bifold /internally as that's my worry is it'll feel a bit "low" (I'm only 6'1 so not a giant)

thanks.

Really enjoying these threads, is kind of giving me inspiration to tackle the jobs around the house we bought back in December - but I'm a complete DIY novice! I'm between do it yourself and save on the labour, and you'll definitely regret trying to refloor downstairs after you start and mess up within 30 minutes.

Physically or financially? :D... Or both
Lol both man. My hands are crippled. Heading to Portugal today so pausing for a bit :rolleyes:

Really enjoying these threads, is kind of giving me inspiration to tackle the jobs around the house we bought back in December - but I'm a complete DIY novice! I'm between do it yourself and save on the labour, and you'll definitely regret trying to refloor downstairs after you start and mess up within 30 minutes.
A mistake I used to make was letting the pressure get to me. A lot of jobs are rushed by self inflicted deadlines etc. Nothing worse than midjob contemplating how you'll do it better next time :cry:

A mistake I used to make was letting the pressure get to me. A lot of jobs are rushed by self inflicted deadlines etc. Nothing worse than midjob contemplating how you'll do it better next time :cry:

I get this, I have so many jobs needing to be done around the house and garden that it's sheer mass stressed my nipples.

The old adage about how do you eat an elephant springs to mind.

Enjoy your hols!

Back
Top Bottom