1930s Semi Refurb - Part 11 of ... (Summer House)

Can I borrow it? Least you could do since you started this thread and filled my YouTube with garden room build videos.

ETA summer 2025!
Haha it was a borrow from my brother in any case.

Some tools are stupidly expensive. Going to be hammering nails in manually for me like in the old days.
I wouldn't dream of screwing this. Screws aren't as good for a start, cost way more, and will ruin your hands. Even if you just do a rental whilst you built the walls it'll pay for itself many times over.

I wouldn't dream of screwing this. Screws aren't as good for a start, cost way more, and will ruin your hands. Even if you just do a rental whilst you built the walls it'll pay for itself many times over.
It's 100 quid to hire for 10 days. Better off buying and reselling probably.

Why would they ruin your hands? (to be fair it's a lot of screws!) id have thought will be OK with an impact driver?

I'm probably not going to buy a 1st fix nailer as my dog is scared of the noise from nail guns :X. And instead manually hammer/screw it.

Last edited:
10 day!? Work quicker :D

I'll probably have a week off work when I do mine. But floor, 4 walls and roof, think will need for a week at least.

I'm concerned about using screws tbh, not because of the strength but because of splitting the wood. Even the tiniest of screws I use at home seems to split the wood if I don't pilot hole it. 6mm structural timber screws at 150mm-200mm long, could ruin every timber I try to drive into.

I'll probably have a week off work when I do mine. But floor, 4 walls and roof, think will need for a week at least.

I'm concerned about using screws tbh, not because of the strength but because of splitting the wood. Even the tiniest of screws I use at home seems to split the wood if I don't pilot hole it. 6mm structural timber screws at 150mm-200mm long, could ruin every timber I try to drive into.
Those structural screws i would only use for holding the roof down to the top plate. I wouldnt use them for building the walls.

Interesting dilemma on the screws vs nails.
An unheated outdoor space I would probably lean nails because the wood can gain/lose 7% in length (width, height) etc depending on orientation as it absorbs and looses moisture.
The general rule is screws when you don't want something to move, nails when you want to allow movement.

If I was building something like lockers I would put skylight(s) in, we have one in our gazebo (with shuttered sides) and it lets loads of light in.
Nice to go into when its raining, shutters down, and sit with the rain pounding down on the skylight.

They arent expensive for outbuilding type stuff. Let a lot more light in than windows unless your going to put windows all round.

Back
Top Bottom