2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
OP
What sort of roads do you drive on? Do you regularly do above 60mph?

Was 80ish on the way to work doing about 70mpg.

I do M69>A46>M40, although soon will be pretty much all M42>M40 so the active management regulating everyones speed will see real dividends for not really giving much up to be honest. Tuck behind a high speed coach in the speed limited 60 areas and i hope to see 90+

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Its 838kg with a 0.25 Cd.

On the K20 the lack of drag allows 19:1 AFR to run fine on a non lean designed engine.

IMA is a 20mm sandwich between box and engine, no extra mass really as the magnets serve the purpose of a flywheel. The batteries are just 22kg.

Very interesting. So in theory, the IMA technology could be used in my EP3 with little weight overhead which removing the rear seats could offset but I'd benefit from improved economy with a 19:1 remap (dunno what the EP3 runs now).

I do know the standard intake and exhaust maps supplied with the K-Pro can give a standard or mild intake cat back'd ep3 a good 40-50 miles extra per tank so increasing this further without compromising performance is quite a feat. Is this actually possible?

Soldato
OP
No sorry, the point I was making is the IMA is sandwiched between the engine and gearbox on the IMA cars, its very much part and parcel of the drivetrain and would be nigh on impossible to retro fit really.

19:1 would melt a K20 in a Civic. Its the low drag of this that makes it possible.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
No sorry, the point I was making is the IMA is sandwiched between the engine and gearbox on the IMA cars, its very much part and parcel of the drivetrain and would be nigh on impossible to retro fit really.

19:1 would melt a K20 in a Civic. Its the low drag of this that makes it possible.

Ah, I see. This kind of stuff fascinates me. I should have done an engineering degree rather than do half a web and multimedia degree and drop out :(

My dad very nearly bought a Civic IMA where they were basically chucking them out here at a loss (free servicing packages etc.) but he decided he needed more space and bought a Peugeot Partner 2l HDI.

Associate
I like it fair play to the OP for doing what he wants.

Hybrid/fuel cells will become more and more mainstream as the technology improves.

If that means that fossil fuels will still be available for petrolheads to use in their cars/bikes then thats fine by me.

I have had quite a lot to do with hybrid vehicles too and the tech really interests me too.I have only seen a couple of the Insights and never had the chance to look round one properly.

I think Jay Leno summed it up on Top Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfzbaglUOo 4min 52 in :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Am i the only one reading this thinking that this is probably a loaner or a car through his work or something and this is a joke? It has to be a joke, right? :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This cant be real, i feel as though i have slipped into another dimension. The economy is bad, but not this bad!

Soldato
thing that annoys me more than anything though, the technology i don't have a problem with, but why make the cars so ugly, i mean, it wouldn't look half as bad if it didn't have rear wheel covers, what's actually stopping them lookin like normal cars, same with the prius too. Why don't they take Teslas idea and actually make a good looking hybrid/ electric car?

Associate
Just read through your insurance thread!! Cant believe all the bs the insurers have done.

I thought sky ins had a good rep?!? Dont think i'll be renewing with them.

Has your claim been settled yet? What was the outcome?

Caporegime
thing that annoys me more than anything though, the technology i don't have a problem with, but why make the cars so ugly, i mean, it wouldn't look half as bad if it didn't have rear wheel covers, what's actually stopping them lookin like normal cars, same with the prius too. Why don't they take Teslas idea and actually make a good looking hybrid/ electric car?

Because don't wheels = drag?

Associate
With respect to the naysayers. Lets put it this way - The more you struggle against it, the more irresistable it will become. Something will give and it most likely won't be the vehicle in question. It's clearly tax free. It's clearly economic.

It has purpose in the same way a race car does, even if it's purpose is the polar opposite to that of a race car.

Soldato
OP
Just read through your insurance thread!! Cant believe all the bs the insurers have done.

I thought sky ins had a good rep?!? Dont think i'll be renewing with them.

Has your claim been settled yet? What was the outcome?

I'm amazed how incompetant the idiots at the companies are. It was within days of mentionion my Mini hire was £162 a day and a cheque for £3400 was out to me (after £300 excess). i wanted to retain salvage though so returned it based on a 22.5% reduction in payout. They just sent a letter with an offer now at 30%, its just comedy how useless they are with consistent information. I renegotiated a 22% reduction though so will be getting my Integra back.

Soldato
Aside from whether you do have this car jonny (I'll quiz si later :p )

Love the dash, strangely similar to the s2k don't you think ?!!

I actually really get this if you have got it and your an engineer, but I'm confused about the afr. How come it can run so lean just because of the aero ?

Back
Top Bottom