2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Caporegime
lol wtf

You did it for the lolz or a once in a life time chance to own it. But don't try and justify it for things like Fuel economy especailly if you paid 5k!

Man of Honour
The fuel economy is why i bought it though.

I thought you bought it because the concept interested you? Spending near £6k on a 7 year old small car for 'fuel economy' is a hugely flawed concept, a newer Honda could have been had for half that which would leave you £3000 to spend on petrol surely.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13606797 said:
I thought you bought it because the concept interested you? Spending near £6k on a 7 year old small car for 'fuel economy' is a hugely flawed concept, a newer Honda could have been had for half that which would leave you £3000 to spend on petrol surely.

Well what else can he have bought it for? :p

You don't really buy a hybrid for anything else.

Suspended
OP
I bought it because it was the worlds most fuel economical car, now the bbook figure of the smart derv is higher its the most eco petrol. The cost saving isn't the primary reason, but the economy was if that makes sense. Im more of a petrol head than those with diesels :p It has no mass consumer biased compromises, its as much of an engineers toy as a Type R Honda is. Cost was much closer to £5k in the end with 25 litres of oil (enough for nearly 10 changes) and a set of the indexed iridium plugs good for 70k. Shoud be next to nothing to service.

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13606797 said:

But with a fuel saving alone of £1500 a year its only going to take two years to get that money back, even less if you factor in the tax saving, plus this will hold its value better than a generic jap hatchback.

Don
are you lot all going to migrate from being vtec fanatics to hybird masters?

really cant believe anyone can justify the migration from a DC2 to buying an electric roller skate without keeping a straight face

yay go fuel economy, I feel the need to buy a hummer just to set the world to rights!

Man of Honour
Residual on this thing is being overlooked conveniently (yet again).

I think its being over-exagerated. Come on, he keeps it for what, 3-4 years and when he sells it it'll be an 11 year old car with what, 180-200k on it? Surely it wont still be worth £5k :confused:

Now I am not afraid of high milers at all, they are great buys, but you dont buy a 126k mile car and then crow about residuals. It wont have any, he will be the last owner of that car to pay anything approaching decent money for it. Thats what happens when you buy high milers.

Suspended
OP
[TW]Fox;13606882 said:
I think its being over-exagerated. Come on, he keeps it for what, 3-4 years and when he sells it it'll be an 11 year old car with what, 180-200k on it? Surely it wont still be worth £5k :confused:

3-4 years and we are in positive return land on current prices with an final value of 0. At that point its likely you get £1000 in scrap aluminium once prices restablise.

3-4 years we are at what price with fuel?

3-4 years I may well have people offering me silly money for it. It happened in the states during the $150 barrel peak.

Who cares, ive driven something unique rather than mondeo, I will enjoy that more. Nearly as much as this thread.

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
[TW]Fox;13606882 said:
Now I am not afraid of high milers at all, they are great buys, but you dont buy a 126k mile car and then crow about residuals. It wont have any, he will be the last owner of that car to pay anything approaching decent money for it. Thats what happens when you buy high milers.

I thought you bought high milers as the depreciation is already done? Thats your usual mantra. Double standards in this argument? You have so many angles Fox you cant have ever seen a protractor thats 2D. :p

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13606882 said:

Fox - your outlook on buying cars is very different to most though. You see them as a consumable item, others see them as investments that have a depreciation curve.

What would interest me would be your choice of car if you had to do a long commute where anything sporty is completely wasted and you were doing for example 45 miles each way every day. I think your requirements of a car may change, especially when you factor in other external affects like lifestyle etc. I can imagine 30mpg starts to look painful (Jonny was considering a 330ci) when you see you can get 70mpg+.

Let's be honest too, the BMW may be more comfortble, but then again anything will be more comfy than his teg. So what are you really buying it for - I can't think it can be anything more than image. Compare to two in terms of numbers and the insight makes sense: MPG, running costs and depreciation. Yeah you might look like noddy driving it but some people aren't as hung up on things like that.

However you could also end up like Gibbo and still live parents till 40 just so you can have a nice car :p

Different...

Back
Top Bottom