Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Abstain

Votes: 80 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Indeed. Less than I'd have liked, but still much more than I expected. We'll have to wait and see how much of it happens. I'm not expecting many Tories to vote with the AV proposals, for example.

Apparently it will be a full whip for the vote, followed by campaigning for their own beliefs at a referendum, which sounds like a great compromise.

Capodecina
Soldato
From you; declaring the the Lib-Dem and Conservative coalition as a "Tory government."
Where, when? :eek:

If you can point out where I said that a Liberal Democrat and Conservative coalition was a "Tory government." I will correct it immediately to read that it is a minority Tory government propped up by the Liberal Democrats ;)

Caporegime
No. It will improve the situation for the Tories, yes, but how will equal sized constituencies favour the Tories? They will favour all parties the same, surely?

That depends on how they are drawn. Personally I'm reasonable confident that the body that will actually draw up the new boundaries will be independent and broadly fair but it would be quite possible to pick and choose boundaries to favour one party or another.

Caporegime
For example, heating is only an essential up to a certain point. Provided that you can heat your house to a certain temperature (say about 18-21C), then that is what could be considered essential. However if someone wants to heat their house above that, then that is a luxury.

Oh come on, now your clutching at straws. People are not going to heat their house to 30 degrees or something. What is essential depends on every individual, thin people will need a higher temp as will people with certain medical conditions, the only fair tax on heating is no tax. You still haven't addressed any of the other points.

Caporegime
I'm sure you will along with millions of others, the thing is though you won't take the risk on voting dems because that could let labour back in. In a coalition they won't be able to critise the tories enough to be seen as a credible alternative to letting labour back in.

The Dems took massive strides in this election to be seen as a credible alternative, this coalition will have done them far more harm than good as a future choice in a 3 horse race for seats. They will be viewed as so desperate for power they will turn their backs on their priniciples for it or turn a blind eye.

For the tories though they can't lose, if it doesn't work they can blame the public for forcing a coalition and have so many more seats than the Dems no one is seriously going to change a vote from tory to dems to keep labour out.

I disagree, I was 50/50 whether to vote lib dem or Conservative last week, in the end went for conservative because there were a couple of pledges in the Lib Dems manifesto I didn't like. Other than those couple their manifestos were very similar (more similar than labours anyway) and the Lib Dem/Conservative coalition allows for the Lib Dems to either abstain or actively promote their different policies.:confused:

Soldato
Oh come on, now your clutching at straws. People are not going to heat their house to 30 degrees or something. What is essential depends on every individual, thin people will need a higher temp as will people with certain medical conditions, the only fair tax on heating is no tax. You still haven't addressed any of the other points.

So you don't accept that most people (who can afford to) will heat their house to a level that is more than just 'essential'.

If that is the case then I totally disagree with you.

Defending your stance, by saying that no-one will heat their house to 30 degrees, is true, but irrelevant.

I'm not sure what 'other points' you want me to address - but if you're going to defend them in a similar fashion, then there's not much point in bothering to reply. Especially as you failed to point out why there's any flaw in my argument that taxing fuel at a reduced rate is 'fair', as long as you have other ways of ensuring that the poorest people can at least afford to heat their house to a minimum level.

What is 'fairer'? - Having zero tax on fuel, but having some people still not be able to afford to heat their homes? Or having a 5% tax on fuel, and using the money raised to ensure that the poorest people are able to heat their homes to a minimum 'essential' living temperature?

Having zero tax on fuel, does not on it's own guarantee that everyone will be able to afford to heat their homes sufficiently.

Your argument that thin people need to heat their homes more, is a weak one at best. Medical conditions, perhaps, but again these people could be targeted specifically in other ways.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

How much fuel use is necessary heating vs the rest of the fuel bill though?

Man of Honour
Is it just me, or is Johann being unrealistic with his "comparison" of votes?

I don't think it's fair/correct to assume that just because "55%" of voters did not vote for Tories, they all wanted a "center-left" government?

It comes from the retarded position that the Labour party is still a party of the liberal left, and that the lib dems are just an extension of the labour party.

Back
Top Bottom