2011 Census soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No it's not. I have dual citizenship and that does not preclude you from UK law while resident in it. That includes the fine for refusal to fill out the census.

Show me where it says that please.. As in my 50+ years I have never filled in a census and never had a fine.
I did have a local coucil officer come round once I showed him my US passport and he left ;)

Caporegime
Why would it be doomed from the start if the contract was well made, the company hired had the ability and expertise to carry out the assignment and the system was well designed?

Well i'll tel you what went wrong with Npfit,

First, the system went wrong because it was a government idea. The people who were in charge of it all knew nothing about computer systems, nothing about how clinicians and healthcare staff used the ssytem, and didn't know how to draw up a proper design brief.

Because it was a government system, none of the potential contractors could resist the temptation to go over the top and make a boatload of cash, and because the people at the top were spending public money, they didnt care how much it would cost.

And because it was politcally motivated, they tried to create a system that pleased everybody. They wanted a system that did everything that the established computer systems did, and had 20 years of development behind, meaning that the user's exciting systems were relatively bug free, streamlined and highly functional.

To create something that advanced on the spot, by contractors who had no prior experience of creating such a thing, was asking for trouble. They didn't understand what the end users wanted, and created a system that they thought would work, only then to find out that the end users didn't use the system in the way they thought they would. End users are illogical, and quite often have their ways set out. Often involving the use of paper systems and such like that were never documented in the original scope.

Furthermore, when end users are given a system which works in a completely different way to what they are used to, they are resistant to change. When you're trying to create a system, this inevitably leads the developers to go back and try again. And then they find that one chagne that pleased one set of users is not good for another. Taking my experience of the NHS, what is good for the doctors, isn't good for the admin staff and vice versa. Systems that make life easy for the doctor, actually make it harder for the admin staff.

So why would such a system for the census fail, well it would inevitably get put out to tender. You have to invite everybody to apply when you're talking about this sort of money. Companies would cry foul if they werent allowed to at least try to become part of a contract that would make them a shed load of money. This leads to people who have no clue how to make this sort of system making a bid. And inevitably this leads to such a company getting selected, and then the same problems happen.

They have no clue what the actual end users of the system want, they try to please everybody, ploliticians and whitehall staff get involved and make changes all the time, the goalposts get shifted, Whitehall staff change and requirements change as well. The system gets pushed back, it becomes over budget etc..

The only way to do it would be to buy a system that somebody else uses. Which is kind of what they are doing now i believe, hence all the interest in Lockhead Martin getting involved.

Soldato
Those are still not reasons why such a system could not potentially be made, only reasons why the last one failed.

If you follow all the correct steps (which is product design/planning 101) you will get a system that works ...

Permabanned
Show me where it says that please.. As in my 50+ years I have never filled in a census and never had a fine.
I did have a local coucil officer come round once I showed him my US passport and he left ;)

Then you misrepresented yourself as an American resident. Again against the law. If you truly believe that being a dual citizen gives you immunity from the law then "whatever".

The fact is that people rarely (if ever) actually get fined for not returning or writing nonsense on Census forms.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm 43 and I've never filled one in, no Dual-Citizenship and I've never been fined. Had them chasing me up at the house too, just refused to give my name or answer any questions and they go away never to be heard from again. Sending you a document and threatening a fine for failure to comply with said document is no different to charging for Unsolicited Goods which is unlawful in the UK.

Permabanned
I'm 43 and I've never filled one in, no Dual-Citizenship and I've never been fined. Had them chasing me up at the house too, just refused to give my name or answer any questions and they go away never to be heard from again. Sending you a document and threatening a fine for failure to comply with said document is no different to charging for Unsolicited Goods which is unlawful in the UK.

Exactly. The fine is rarely enforced. I have never heard of anyone being so anyway.

Caporegime
If you follow all the correct steps (which is product design/planning 101) you will get a system that works ...

They never do however!

Too many quangos with too much input.

If you were going to do it, you'd need to remove all political aspects and make it 100 % private sector. But how can you do that with something inherently political as the census ?

Caporegime
lol i have no doubt any other administration would make just a big of a mess of it as the lefties would.

Its not the front bench mps who we elect who make a mess of these things :p

Permabanned
Just fill the form in, it's no big deal.

There are far more important things to protest about than ticking a few boxes every ten years or so.

Soldato
lol i have no doubt any other administration would make just a big of a mess of it as the lefties would.

Its not the front bench mps who we elect who make a mess of these things :p

Unfortunately the civil servants tend to lean a bit to the left too ... and also tend to be incompetent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom