2011 Census soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Where can I find data on population growth in the UK comparing ethnic groups? I want to know birth rates and predictions for the future.

Man of Honour
wasn't the domesday book one of the first census ? Data like that is invaluable for future generations of historians.

It was a census of sorts but not in the sense we mean it now as it just took in landowners and even then not all of them so coverage wasn't complete. The data is indeed highly useful for future historians and in a more general sense for planning for the future.

Where can I find data on population growth in the UK comparing ethnic groups? I want to know birth rates and predictions for the future.

Have a look at the ONS although you might also want to take a look at Migration Watch as I suspect they're more in line with your concerns.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you know how long it would take? Do you have any idea how much a new system of this sort would cost? Are you willing to pay for it as part of your taxes? What do you suggest we do in the meantime since this data is necessary and must be collected irrespective of your personal viewpoint?

We need a proper central system anyway ...

And they have had years and years to create one, technology has been there ... and it is not as complex as people make out.

The global banking system somehow manages to talk to each other

Caporegime

And they have had years and years to create one, technology has been there ... and it is not as complex as people make out.

Central Government System to be created ?

Yeah ask the NHS how that turns out when the Government pays a contractor to create one of them ...

Permabanned
I have no problems filling out the census. The information it provides to genealogists when it's released to the public in 100 years is priceless. Many people who are researching their family history really look forward to the time the census from 100 years ago is released.

Will you be filling yours out with a calligraphy set to try and look 'different' and 'cool'? :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I will fill out Fox, I will just take the **** with my answers.

I may turn out to be the 99 year old son of Mugabe who was born on Mars, only speaks Klingon and so forth.

You're opening yourself upto a fine then:-

Completion of the Census for is compulsory under the Census Act 1920. If you refuse to complete it, or give false information, you may be liable to a fine

The only question this did not apply to at the last census was question 10 - religion.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The people complaint now, were you still living at home when the last one was done or did you have the same paranoid thoughts about that one too?

Man of Honour
rypt out of interest is there a single subject on which you don't appear to:

a) Come across as an expert on
b) Have hugely simple solutions available for issues which professionals regard as complex
c) Make yourself look daft

Man of Honour

Says who and why? For someone who argues that the government should have minimal information it's a slightly curious position to want them to consolidate everything they've already got.

And they have had years and years to create one, technology has been there

Have we always had the funds to do so even if the political will had been there? That's allowing that the technology has been there and I'm not convinced about that depending on the timescales involved.

... and it is not as complex as people make out.

I'm not going to ask your experience in designing governmental databases but if it were as simple as you are suggesting then why has it not been done before now? Surely any government worth its salt would love a single source of data for any and all citizens?

It's not the same thing, they've got different goals and different motivations.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;18508231 said:
rypt out of interest is there a single subject on which you don't appear to:

a) Come across as an expert on

The thing to remember about the internet and these forums in particular is that everyone is an expert and always knows better from their chair than anyone who has been involved in the topic at hand for most of their adult life. Every major problem in the world could be solved if only the governments and companies and sports teams simply popped on here and did what people on here say. :)

Caporegime
I applied for a job with the census people, twice. First time I filled out the online questionnaire sensibly and was told in an E-Mail a few days later that my answers weren't satisfactory so they wouldn't be taking my application any further. So I applied again, they invited me to fill out the questionnaire a second time which I did, filling out completely different answers to the first time and I was again told that my answers weren't satisfactory.

Fail. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom