2012 Weight Loss Thread

Man of Honour
Soldato
Working certain areas does nothing to the fat covering the muscles.

I'm aware of that but hopefully the running will start to help take care of that and i assume that any weight work would also burn calories to help.

The reason i asked for alternate exercises was due to my understanding that all muscle groups should be worked on to keep it balanced and i didn't want to be neglecting an area due to my lack of ability to do a single exercise.

Soldato
Soldato
Just hit 12stone 4 today, so not long left to go - I'll stick up some pictures of my progress over the last 8 months when I hit 11 1/2 stone (by then should be a total of 4 stone loss).

It's odd looking at old pictures as I thinking "I didn't think I was THAT fat..." lol...

Soldato
As of Monday I've lost at least 9kg of fat since June and gotten stronger on all my lifts (e.g. went from squatting 53kg at 70kg to 100kg at around 61kg). The weight loss is relatively meaningless - it's body recomposition I care about and I'm looking way less skinny-fat than I did when I started. Once I get to 10% bf it's dat dere clean bulk time. Nothing will change the fact I'm a short manlet though. :'(

Soldato
With 3 weeks till Xmas (not that there's a time limit) how is everyone doing ?.

Me personally reached target a couple off weeks ago but decided I wanted another 5-10KG off ;)

Still running 20 miles a week and biking 20-25miles a week.

Total loss since 6th April 2012 = 100lbs /45KG

Soldato
I've shifted at least 9.5kg of fat in the last 6 months. Now weigh 65kg. Started eating a bit more and lifting more weights to start increasing the muscle (which has increased a little during the last 6 months due to the exercise).

Soldato
Today is 12 months since I decided enough was enough and lost 3 1/2 stone. 16 1/2 down to 13, or 104kg down to 82 kg in new money. That's a bulging 40 inch trouser, just getting into 42's down to a baggy 36 inch and just about able to get into 34 inch. Estimate I still have 2 stone to go, in fat loss, would like to see a few kg more muscle in the next 12 months too though.

I've not been good and not really been on a diet but I'm aware of what I eat now, I always look at packets and know what I am eating in terms of calories and usually in terms of protein, carb and fat too.

I still drink every weekend and sometimes in the week and eat out whenever the occasion allows. I just eat what I think is right and never worry about what others eat or if the plate is empty.

Honestly I enjoy the power having control over food gives me, but if that control didn't include beer or pizza when it was suitable I'd be miserable and it'd be no power at all.

I believe the only reason I lost any weight is because I chose to, I've put on weight steadily for 12 years and while I'd have liked to be lighter it wasn't until I decided I was a mess and was going to sort it out that I did anything at all. Nobody ever commented on my weight gain and if they had it may have made me less likely to come to my own decision.

I may never be a 'gym rat' but I intend to run a half marathon next year and would like to try fell running socially (having been a keen fell walker for many years). Life is good.

Soldato
As of Monday I've lost at least 9kg of fat since June and gotten stronger on all my lifts (e.g. went from squatting 53kg at 70kg to 100kg at around 61kg). The weight loss is relatively meaningless - it's body recomposition I care about and I'm looking way less skinny-fat than I did when I started. Once I get to 10% bf it's dat dere clean bulk time. Nothing will change the fact I'm a short manlet though. :'(

Gone from bulging out of my 32 trousers/jeans to being a 29 going on 28 waist. Abs visible now beneath the fat that remains (under good lighting!), kind of happy/sad I now need to buy a new collection of jeans/trousers, given I have expensive taste in denim. Doh!

Soldato
Sounds like everyone is making some solid progress!

Well done all!

It's interesting to see how some people have been much stricter, and lost more, whereas others are still losing a substantial amount of weight, but are being less strict, and more aware it will take a few years to lose it.

Oddly, in some sense, both should hopefully be able to keep it up long term. Those who are stricter, hopefully still exercise as much and the such like, and those who are less strict, are making genuine life style changes.

kd

Associate
Does anyone think it's worth making a thread on food/recipe ideas to help with weight loss?

I know I found trying and cooking new recipes has helped me a lot, just a thought!

Associate
Been slacking lately. Was on holiday last two weeks of Nov then just haven't got back into it yet. Eating less and working damn hard in my job. Down half a stone but tomorrow I need to get back to the gym and watch the eating more carefully.

Off to America in just over a month so want to loose a bit by then. Will have a few days at Xmas but will put the effort in appart from that.

Soldato
Guys can I ask for some advice, I started a diet in April this year and around July time I started running, I am at a stage now where I have gone from 22.8 stone to 17.11 and I am not calorie counting as much as I was, I sort of know my limits.

I run three times a week for a total of about 20k. Come the new year I have got rid of my car and i will be biking around 7k a day to get too and from work. My plan is too then do 3 runs but make them shorter at around 6k a time.

In the run up to Xmas i.e. this week and into next week the meals flow and the chocs will come out and I just do not have the time to run apart from Thursday, Sunday and Xmas Eve.

If I manage to hit around 2000 calories a day and do 40k cycling and 18k running in the week should I be concerned about not getting down to around 15/16 stone without many problems?

Soldato
It's a marathon not a sprint, if you don't lose much over Christmas or even put a little on then just carry on with what you were doing before and you'll soon me back on track. Better than than having a lousy time and losing motivation, I put on 1-2kg last Christmas but have lost another 18kg since then by just sticking to my plan.

I run about 40km each week and eat sensibly but not counting calories at all. I do some weights and quite a few pullups/chinups/pushups/dips throughout the day (I work from home) and I can see myself sticking with this for the long term so I'm pretty pleased.

Maxeh - like the idea of a thread for healthy meals, it might fail but certainly worth a shot.

Soldato
Here is my weasley excuse...

6'1 - 14Stone - although seems to vary (not much!) between 13"11 - 14" Size 36 waist, not 'fat' but need to lose, ideally, a stone.

I am now watching my diet, and using a cross trainer/exercise bike, I figured to do 3.5km a day on that to start with, not much at all compared to what you guys are doing, but got to be better than nothing - when the 3.5km starts getting easier, I will move to 5km and so on.

Only thing is I am not sure on how I should 'get' to the 3.5km, if I just try to pedal as fast as possible, with a little slowing down inbetween is that less effective than a constant speed to 3.5km?

Do you think that is an ok method of trying to lose a bit of tummy weight!?

Back
Top Bottom