• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Associate
lol £1500 for asus rtx 2080 ti. in 1 year you could get 7 nm GPU at half the cost nuts AMD has them nivida not got them. + intel stuck on 14 nm for next 2 years. lol AMD now on 7 nm CPU. and prob half the price

Soldato
Looks like they've tried to squeeze too much out the architecture for one last cash grab before 7nm hits. The Auros Extreme 2080 illustrates this, they're £120-90 (RRP and OCUK price) more than the OC Aorus card, and for that you get 2-3fps, but the cards run very hot and they're very loud. So for £900 RRP (£839 here) you get a nuclear reactor leaf blower.

Operation Nvidia Garden: A Gouge Too Far.

Associate
Running two myself and I'm very happy with them. Even one card as powerful as it is can drop below 60fps in busy scenes depending on the game.

Shadow of the tomb raider works perfectly in DX12 SLI and never goes below 60fps while it did with one card when maxed out at 4k. Destiny 2 works great with two cards as well. That even had many dips below 60fps with tons of explosions going off at 4k maxed out, two cards run that game perfectly with plenty of power to spare.

DX12 would work great in SLI if most developers weren't lazy enough to add it. Hellblade run much smoother in SLI as well, dropped below 60fps way to much with one card.

Soldato
Looks like they've tried to squeeze too much out the architecture for one last cash grab before 7nm hits.

It's a relatively new architecture, you're throwing around the wrong terminology. It's the current node that's now old.

My second Ti went back, no real need for that much grunt and scaling is far from widely acceptable. One is more than enough in most cases.

Associate
Played BFV for three hours tonight in SLI, now dropped to black screen, going to be a ball ache working out which card is ill.
Of course I can't replicate it now. Might have been something else. Maybe a memory leak in the game.
May I ask why 2 RTX cards? SLI/mGPU doesn't work with DX12 or DXR, works only with DX11 and the 2080ti is pretty powerful card for even 4K.
I game on a 43" UHD monitor and I like things to run smooth and look good, a pair of 2080TI's NVLinked does the job.

Associate
I have two Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition's connected via a three slot NVLink running in SLI on the latest 416.81 drivers.

I have two 4k 60hz Philips monitors connected via Display Port to the lower card "GeForce RTX 2080 Ti(2)" as Nvidia Control Panel sees it.

While running Battlefield 5 for several hours my computer has stopped sending to my primary monitor (the game is running on) once while the secondary monitor continued to work.

On a second occasion after starting Battlefield 5 and running it for only a couple of minutes my computer stopped sending to my secondary monitor.

Looking at Nvidia Control Panel the monitor that vanished is no longer shown, changing the display port to the free 3rd port also has no effect.

Currently both monitors are working, I left Nvidia Control Panel open while starting up Battlfield 5 and I noticed the graphic representing my second monitor changed so it could be some kind of port or driver issue.

Soldato

at 43mins "wow clocks not great"

yes steve thats what happens on retail not reviewers cards.

I wonder if they should try a fast fan curve, or water cooling block, as it could be the silicon is not tolerating the temps nvidia expect, it hit 81C at artefact/crash.

Last edited:
Soldato
My RTX 2080 just failed to wake from sleep.

Well it just showed a black screen on the TV, and the oculus rift didn't detect anything from the HDMI... rebooted and its ok now... hope this is a one off..

V F

V F

Soldato
Looks like they've tried to squeeze too much out the architecture for one last cash grab before 7nm hits. The Auros Extreme 2080 illustrates this, they're £120-90 (RRP and OCUK price) more than the OC Aorus card, and for that you get 2-3fps, but the cards run very hot and they're very loud. So for £900 RRP (£839 here) you get a nuclear reactor leaf blower.

Operation Nvidia Garden: A Gouge Too Far.

How hot and loud?

Associate
If VRAM faults are the main issue with Micron due to a bad batch then I'm not taking chances, as I had both cards originally within days of each other I have initiated an advanced RMA on that as well.

Nvidia live chat was quick, I asked for an advanced RMA and they gave me one straight away at no cost to me. So hopefully that will have the same Samsung VRAM as well.

Hi,

Have you noticed if the new Samsung memory cards boost higher and are cooler? A user on forums.geforce is reporting that they achieve higher boost clocks with the same core offset and are 6/7 C cooler overall.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom