29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country

That's good to know, I hadn't realised. Religion aside, my point still stands.

Bitslice does have a valid point, even if overplayed somewhat. There was a significant period where the fall of the Roman Civilisation led to an interregnum where much of the technology and learning of Rome was forgotten or simply ignored as Roman influence withdrew back into Rome itself and other less advanced peoples filled the void. We now know that it was not as widespread or complete as once thought (we no longer refer to The Dark Ages for example), but there was significant regression nonetheless...offset in large part by The Christian Church and its efforts to preserve Knowledge and Language.

How did the language revert? Do we not speak a Latin language?

No, we speak a language based largely on Germanic languages. The Roman Empire spoke Latin and more widespread, Greek.

Latin or rather Italic languages are the Romance languages, such as Italian, Portuguese and French...English is a Germanic language such as German, Dutch and Norwegian.

Last edited:
Leaving nothing whatsoever?

The idea that Romans left no mark at all on this country's culture is laughable.

You could ask Castiel about the language thing, it's complicated but basically I'm right.

This was my original point, everyone points at Romans having a significant affect on British culture, when the reality was just temporary. As soon as they left we reverted back to the dark ages.
Later on things change, but that's nothing to do with whether the Romans invaded us or not.

It is a very fuzzy issue though because people were moving everywhere.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;25578829 said:
I see, so if thats true they are not 'taking our jobs' as the jobs never really existed?

The obvious economic benefit is low cost car washes for customers, suprised you missed that one. They didn't really exist at all prior to EU migration so its difficult to see how the prevelance of hand car wash services is having a detrimental effect on UK employment.

The only way to 'repeal' is to exit from the European Union. Even the most hardened of Eurosceptic knows that is a hugely complicated very time consuming issue and not something that can be done just like that.

A cheaper car wash is not an economic benefit. That money would still be spent elsewhere on goods and services that would help to fuel the economic multiplier. Without the direct withdrawal and without funding mass immigration and mob run businesses.

Alright, I can understand what you're both saying and appreciate the lesson.

Having said that, it's still invalid to say that our culture comes from the Victorian period. I mean, that's fine, but where did their culture come from, and their ancestors cultures, etc?

You cannot simply deny the role that immigration plays in cultural changes in this country.

I think pretty much everything that we regard as English culture, it's morals and ethics and outlook comes from the Georgian to the Victorian period, WWII and the 1960s were significant changes too.
Immigration meant naff all.

You could ask Castiel about the language thing, it's complicated but basically I'm right.

Briefly above.

This was my original point, everyone points at Romans having a significant affect on British culture, when the reality was just temporary. As soon as they left we reverted back to the dark ages.
Later on things change, but that's nothing to do with whether the Romans invaded us or not.

It is a very fuzzy issue though because people were moving everywhere.

It wasn't temporary exactly...it is simply an evolution (not always in one direction) European and Middle Eastern cultures are highly influenced through the Greek and Roman Civilisations, there was no such period as The Dark Ages, that is a redundant term these days...the withdrawal of Rome from Britain led to other influences, largely Germanic coming to the fore, and so on.

Our culture today is Western European, which has a myriad of influences dating back millennia...it includes The Romans, but is not limited to them..more recent influences have a more significant baring on contemporary culture as a rule.

Immigration has a significant impact on culture, as does its related motivators globalisation and imperialism.

Last edited:
I also thought Romans must have had an effect.
I just found it hard to point a finger at anything and define it as coming from the period of the roman invasion, it all appeared to happen later on.

Our culture is mostly defined by the industrial revolution, through the Victorian period up to say late 1960. Almost none of which was affected in the slightest by the culture from other countries

Ah, cups of tea, fish & chips, turkey & potatoes at Christmas. Sir Isaac Netwon, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Queen Victoria, Sir Winston Churchill. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones. Totally uninfluenced by any other culture. :p

^^
Post #993

And tea is not a cultural influence, it is a dried leaf product.
It makes about as much difference coming from Ceylon as it does from Sainsburys

Last edited:
I also thought Romans must have had an effect.
I just found it hard to point a finger at anything and define it as coming from the period of the roman invasion, it all appeared to happen later on.

The most obvious are ideas relating to architecture, multi story buildings, roads and sewers for example. Military techniques and weapons, even mundane things like glass windows and intensive farming are all influences led by Roman culture.

^^
Post #993

And tea is not a cultural influence, it is a dried leaf product.
It makes about as much difference coming from Ceylon as it does from Sainsburys

Leaves play a huge part in international culture. Just look at cocaine, cannabis, coffee (I realise this is a bean, but all the same). Tea generated international trade leading to multiculturalism.

@Castiel
But there was nobody at the time who could do any of that in Britain, it all had to be reintroduced later on?
We didn't rebuild aqueducts until centuries later

Tea generated international trade leading to multiculturalism.
A product is not a significant cultural influence, just because I buy op-amps from china does not make me appreciate Buddism. Tea has equally no affect on my morals or ethics, if we were a nation of Vimto drinkers the culture would look the same.

Last edited:
But there was nobody at the time who could do any of that in Britain, it all have to be reintroduced later on

Not all were reintroduced into Britain and in many cases the reintroductions was in reality an example of more widespread use rather than a reintroduction...such as sewers for example, these were still used in Britain although their use became more elitist rather than universal which led to laws being passed in the 14th Century regarding municipal sewer systems and their upkeep....military tactics, farming techniques and building techniques were all still used, albeit to a lesser or altered form as influences waned and grew respectively and even if they were forgotten and later reintroduced, the influence is still distinctly Roman and therefore an influence on contemporary culture.

The Romans were in turn influenced by other cultures, such as The Greeks and in respect of Aquaducts that you mentioned, The Assyrians.

They, as did we, eventually improved on these techniques, but the ideas were introduced by others...similarly with our own Culture, it is a myriad of external and internal influences, both direct and indirect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom