29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country

A product is not a significant cultural influence, just because I buy op-amps from china does not make me appreciate Buddism. Tea has equally no affect on my morals or ethics.

A product can drive cultural influence...The Tea Trade was a large driver of oriental cultural influence throughout the British Empire and later the Indian Subcontinent.

Yep, not denying all these ideas were roman in origin, I'm just dubious that they all came to Britain because of the roman invasion (in context, immigration). When largely they happened regardless, largely after the event and mostly by the actions of people other than the Romans. If the Romans stopped at France we would still be in much the same position due to trading.
A product can drive cultural influence...The Tea Trade was a large driver of oriental cultural influence throughout the British Empire and later the Indian Subcontinent.
but not just because it existed, the tulip trade was nothing more than a fad because it had no purpose within the existing culture. We could equally drink vimto.
It was the existing culture that valued exploration and rarity, and a class structure to exploit this as a cultural idea. China tea cups fitted into the same social demographic
Tea later crossed social boundaries unlike tulips.

It's like saying salmon is for posh people when it used to be peasant food, a product is nothing outside of an existing culture, it doesn't define it, it integrates because the culture has a slot for it.

Coincidentally our culture does not have a slot for islam, that's why it's a conflicting influence.

Last edited:
Yep, not denying all these ideas were roman in origin, I'm just dubious that they all came to Britain because of the roman invasion (in context, immigration). When largely they happened regardless and largely after the event.

Not necessarily, and it was due to immigration, imperialism, emigration etc that we even have such an exchange of ideas and influences to begin with. Henry VIII for example looked at the old Roman sanitation systems when instituting Sanitation in London. Many rich landowners also used Roman techniques in the early Middle Ages to convey running water and remove effluence from their Castles...there were also examples of public latrines in some parts of England, albeit rare. No doubt sanitation, particularly public sanitation reverted to basic, primitive techniques as Roman facilities fell into disrepair during the interregnum, but that is not the same as saying such would have happened without Roman influence or that Roman influence was not indicative in our culture.

HAHA our politicians were handing them coffees etc.. at the airports just says it all now.

Where does it say that?

All I see is a picture of them drinking some coffee. No mention of who paid for it.

I would imagine that we did provide it - that refreshments would quite likely be provided to anyone being asked to sit down and be interviewed about their entrance into another country at the airport.

But that's probably too sensible an assumption to come to, easier to whip out the pitchforks and start baying for blood.

but not just because it existed, the tulip trade was nothing more than a fad because it had no purpose within the existing culture. We could equally drink vimto.
It was the existing culture that valued exploration and rarity, and a class structure to exploit this as a cultural idea. China tea cups fitted into the same social demographic

The Tea Trade formed a driver for cultural influence throughout the British Empire. The a East India Company, for example strove to gain hegemony in India as it became necessary to grow Tea outside of the closed economies of China. The British almost went to war to obtain Tea on numerous occasions and the trade and demand for Tea drove significant cultural exchange throughout the Empire and beyond.

Tea became a symbol of British Culture, and still is to this day. This is a matter of historical record.

Not necessarily, and it was due to immigration, imperialism, emigration etc that we even have such an exchange of ideas and influences to begin with. Henry VIII for example looked at the old Roman sanitation systems when instituting Sanitation in London. Many rich landowners also used Roman techniques in the early Middle Ages to convey running water and remove effluence from their Castles...there were also examples of public latrines in some parts of England, albeit rare. No doubt sanitation, particularly public sanitation reverted to basic, primitive techniques as Roman facilities fell into disrepair during the interregnum, but that is not the same as saying such would have happened without Roman influence or that Roman influence was not indicative in our culture.

Being overtaken by a rich and quite developed society is not the same as allowing yourself to be overrun by poor people.

Yes, not denying events, I'm just saying they happened because of existing British culture, not that tea by itself is significant. Otherwise every country would have reacted in the same way to tea.
We acted that way to a product that fitted us, the tea didn't influence us it was the other way around.

Last edited:
How did the language revert? Do we not speak a Latin language?
Which was reintroduced from Europe along with Christianity

I think pretty much everything that we regard as English culture, it's morals and ethics and outlook comes from the Georgian to the Victorian period, WWII and the 1960s were significant changes too.
Immigration meant naff all.

You're contradicting yourself. You've previously said that our language and religion (which are major aspects of our culture) have been introduced from Europe. This must have happened due to immigration - I doubt they all stood at Calais and shouted it over the channel :)

Yes, not denying events, I'm just saying they happened because of existing British culture, not that tea by itself is significant. Otherwise every country would have reacted in the same way to tea.

The Tea is significant insofar that demand for it influenced public policy and drove a economic and cultural exchange through a significant part of the world. Through the Tea Trade other aspects of oriental culture were introduced into Britain, it had an economic impact that also drove a cultural movement. So It drove a cultural change in Britain and therefore had influence upon our culture...other products similarly have had historical impact, The Sexual Revolution in the 1960s driven by the contraception pill is another example.

You're contradicting yourself. You've previously said that our language and religion (which are major aspects of our culture) have been introduced from Europe. This must have happened due to immigration - I doubt they all stood at Calais and shouted it over the channel :)

Yes because before immigration happened we all stood around waving our arms, pointing at things and grunting at each other...
:rolleyes:

Yes because before immigration happened we all stood around waving our arms, pointing at things and grunting at each other...

Britain was first settled by immigration. In fact so was Europe. There has not been a time in European Civilisation where external influences driven by immigration (of one design or another) has not happened.

The Tea is significant insofar that demand for it influenced public policy and drove a economic and cultural exchange through a significant part of the world.

yep, history.
I'm just saying that "tea" as a product is not significant.

English culture in the way it reacted to a product that complemented that culture, is significant.

This is why the introduction of tea into Iceland had zero effect, different culture.
I'm pretty sure we are arguing different points here...

Britain was first settled by immigration. In fact so was Europe. There has not been a time in European Civilisation where external influences driven by immigration (of one design or another) has not happened.
My post was in the context of the roman period, we can't keep referencing events that have no visible effect on modern society just for the sake of completeness.

Last edited:
Where does it say that?

All I see is a picture of them drinking some coffee. No mention of who paid for it.

I would imagine that we did provide it - that refreshments would quite likely be provided to anyone being asked to sit down and be interviewed about their entrance into another country at the airport.

But that's probably too sensible an assumption to come to, easier to whip out the pitchforks and start baying for blood.

Keith Vaz sat in Costa Coffee with them, are you suggesting the Costa staff are now doubling up and border control officers?

I believe you've been trying to argue that immigration hasn't had any impact on our culture, but admit that the English language is based on imported languages from Europe, therefore immigration must have had an impact on our culture.

Which is it again?

^^
Post #993

And tea is not a cultural influence, it is a dried leaf product.
It makes about as much difference coming from Ceylon as it does from Sainsburys

Tea has had a bigger influence on modern Britain than you might think. Drinking cups of boiled water (especially when in the presence of a mild antiseptic) helped stave of diseases in the rapidly expanding cities of Britain.

Back
Top Bottom