• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
OP
IMG-2644.jpg

I'm not sure how an issue with the card would cause the cable to fry at the psu end?

Best why to think about it is like water ..the pressure as to give somewhere i guess

Associate
OP
I could have read it wrong but it sounded to me that in week 38 you have both, some fixed and some still faulty connectors.

The rep did state anything wk39 onwards is revised anything below is on old block..

but you could be right there could be some on wk38 revised who knows even some stock that was built already could have been pulled back and fixed.

Are we certain that the heat shrink stuff means its revised ?

Associate
OP
I'm a little curious, does this issue also effect cards prior to the RTX 3000 series? I have a Gigabyte RTX 2070S Gaming OC 8GB White, and I was having issues with games black screening. And the issue I found out was related to the position of my PCIE power cables on the GPU. I assumed it was something to do with maybe my sleeved cables being faulty, but it makes far more sense for it to be this exact same issue here on the RTX 3000 cards. If my cable isn't pushing upwards against the GPU but is instead sagging/hanging, the black screen issues occur.

Should I unplug and test to see if the pins are loose?

I am not 100% on this without looking at that card.. but its only the 3000 listed in the OP that are using this connector block.

*edit add just checked for that card and the pins are directly on the pcb so nothing to worry about ..as far as i know the 30 series cards posted on the OP are the 1st we have seen of this type of design used

Associate
OP
So continue order and buy 3090 gaming or cancel because i can have that pcie connector blow?

Where not 100% certain if that was the cause ..but it seems too much of coincidence to not be .

If the card your getting 1st four numbers of the serial are 2039 or above then nothing to worry about.

Me personally i would not spend that much if the cards on the old connector block period.

Associate
OP
Was that blown connector a 1 to 1 or a 1 to 2 connector? As trying to push 300w through one cable might have been the problem if it was the latter. Like others have said I don't really get why a problem on one end would do that to the other end. Comments about pressure don't make any sense, power is going to the GPU not the other way around. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination but if the cable PSU side is melting I assume that's an issue somewhere between PSU and that connector.

Was it same connector you were using previously? If so perhaps some dust or fibre got caught in the housing where the pins meet.

Agree it should really be at the gpu connector end ..However we do not know exactly what as happened here like i said it does need investigating .the whole lead could have heated up and the weak point was at the psu end..or could just be the psu at fault or even a combo of both gpu and psu . meaning the gpu pins fault brought out the weak point of the psu

But i do stick with the pressure theory if resistance builds up it as to give somewhere. same as you i am no expert in this but do have some understanding in this.

Either way its not good.

Associate
OP
@sewerino26 can you please not ask the same question and send the same messages over and over again? You are severely clogging this useful thread with your SPAM posts. I suppose you've read the entire thread (shouldn't be too hard as half the messages come from yourself) and can make an informed decision yourself by now. If not here is my advice:
- Have a serial number starting with 2037 and down? Don't buy or return
- Have a serial number starting with 2039 and up? Keep
- Have a serial number starting with 2038? Just to be safe don't buy or return (although GIGA-Man said there is mixed stock)

Thx

I was going to put that Information in the OP re 2038 could be mixed stock that's fixed or not but thought i would keep it simple.

Week 37 here, connections are absolutely awfull. Took everything apart removed cables from powersupply and connected them to card first, used a DMM to test each connection and finally it is working.
Any chance to purchase new connection cable or is it just about adding new connector and removing old cable?
Unfortunately here in germany Gigabyte GPU support is nearly non existent. (Told me to contact my dealer, dealer told me to contact Gigabyte)
By the way i'm using Corsair RM 850 and looks like PCIe cables have more trouble to fit the connectors than some less flexible cables from my old one.

Not sure what to advise really ..If it was me and either the shop nor Gigabyte offer no support after trying then i would just get a full refund. Its a lot of money where spending here if its no good from the start what is the point.

I would wait till the dust settles and see what is brought to the table from AMD as its so close now.

Associate
OP
thx GIGA-man

Hey @GIGA-Man for some reason I can't DM you, but I'm also new to this thread. Anyone know if he has to follow me or something for this to work?

Edit: While I wait for a response, I did a 3d Mark test and this was my score for those curious - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51640357
info here

GIGA-Man said:
Any one that start to have these problems on the cards, please contact [email protected] and I'll get it fixed for you, to save time please include name, address, serial number, check number (these are on the box label) and best day for collection. I'll arrange to have the card collected, fixed and shipped back to you ASAP.

Hey, just checked my serial number and I'm on Wk36. I seemed to have resolved previous CTD issues with bios updates and switching my PSU to single rail. Pins also look ok on my card but do you think it's still worth worrying about and RMAing for a repair sooner rather than later? I suspect pin issues will materialise at some point.

Glad you got it sorted ...if it was me ..it would all ways be on the back of my mind so best to get fixed. its a quick turnaround

Associate
OP
I am very disappointed with Gigabyte's dealings with peeps outside of the UK. and these are the one's where hearing about
i dread to think how many there really is having problems out there.

There clearly aware of this issue that they have caused yet there not helping people at all by not acknowledging this problem in a statement.

It really does seem to me there wanting to keep it hush hush under the carpet as they say..

I am however great full for the support GIGA-man as been able to offer here. Yet restricted .

I do hope Gigabyte come clean re all this but i very much doubt it.

Associate
OP
Company is built on the staff it uses . Few years now gigabyte UK staff on this forum has built a reputation other vendors from across the hardware scene can't match .
Then lies the problem when other countries within the same company can't manage the same calibre ... Hopefully Gigabyte EU/ Asia and US takes note.
Seeing a lot of non UK gigabyte owners coming here for the support which is nice to see as it grows the forum but shame it's their last resort

Agree ..Its a shame really ..lets hope other Gigabyte sectors reps do take note's from all this ..

Associate
OP
My 3090 was picked up last Thursday, got it back this morning, thx GIGA-Man!
Still have to test it properly, but so far it's going OK.
Here are some photos of the connectors, it's not easy to tell what the connector inside looks like and I don't want to take it apart, but one can see those shrink hose / heat shrink thingies holding the cables together behind the ventillation holes, those are new, and I'm assuming the connector itself is new as well. I had no problems connecting the PSU cables.

qlDHE5S.jpg

8rZivlL.jpg

Thx for sharing ...Enjoy

Associate
OP
Thx for the update... @GIGA-Man so are we 100% certain that if you have heat-shrink on your card that the user can see in the gap.

Then it is the new connector block type if so i will update the OP with this info as this will help peeps ..and does this apply to all the cards with the blocks ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Currently yes, all the new connectors have this. My only worry is in future, even though the new connectors currently have the shrink rap, if there is no shrink rap it could confuse people.

Thank you . I have updated the OP re this .and pointed out that future designs may be revised without heat shrink and will not effect anything WK39 and above .

Associate
OP
Hello guys i am from Austria i will get my Gigabyte Oc Gaming 3080 this Friday. And now im a little bit concerned. If i get the faulty version what can i do from Austria ? Sent it back to the retailer? Or gigabyte or? Lets hope i get the fixed version.

Also thank you for this thread as you guys are the only one who made one about this topic i saw the problem in a few german forums but nothing major like here, thats why i found yours but 25 sites and an Official giga Rep guy i had to sign up. Also The Sopranos <3 i saw Tony and yea:cool:

Welcome to the show ..

I would suspect the card you will be getting will be above WK38 on the serial number which would be fixed..you can check once you receive it and then take it from there if its WK38 or below.

Back
Top Bottom