• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
OP
Hello everyone,

I have purchased 3080 Eagle on 17 September when cards was released, card received October 23 and for about 2 weeks there was no problems at all.
After that time my computer started to randomly reset when i was playing games, not often, i had 1 full day without restart then on next day restart happened after 15 minutes, other day after 5 hours.
SN was 2038 but i did not noticed if there is something wrong with power connectors, also mine looked as it was already replaced with new ones

I have also checked all my components. PSU was brand new but tested anyway with PSU tester (100% working - 750W), MemTest (8 runs without error), i have also stress test PSU, Processor, RAM, GPU - not a single error or restart (programs used: OCCT, AIDA, Prime)

Performed clean Windows install, re-assembled almost whole PC to check if cables are connected properly - did not help

Computer was not overheating - 3 fans on front, 1 back and CPU cooler Noctua with 2 fans (thermal grizzly kryonaut paste), GPU ~65* and CPU ~ 60* while playing games.

When i did all of that i still got one restart on last Friday and since that there was no problems at all, then i found this thread so i decided to go with RMA (Poland)

I was also tried to use MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z to save logs after Friday restart but it did not happen (only thing i did was one more time reconnect 8-pin cables to GPU but i also did it before so i don't know if this was causing the issue)

Card was picked from me Today and i will share results when i will have it back.

What Make modal is the PSU ..and what where the pins like in the connector blocks ?

And was you using 2 separate PCIe power cables from the psu to the gpu and not daisy chaining

thx for sharing

Soldato
heya, i got my 3080 eagle today and its a wk43 so should be the new connector, the pcie pins are super big so the fit is very tight, took multiple tried and making sure pins were straight as they bent when trying to get it plugged in, ive managed to get them both in now but im wondering if i should just RMA it or wait for this to be figured out and sorted before i waste my time considering i have an updated one.

If you have them in and the card works then I wouldn't worry, how often will you be taking the connectors out anyway once it's all plugged in. If you get shutdowns though...different matter.

Associate
I had the same problem as quoted above and mine was WK43, the left connector wouldn't go in, tried multiple cables but managed to fix the pins and get it in, ive decided to RMA it anyway and had it picked up today.
Not acceptable to be worried about ever disconnecting a premium product so do whatever you think is best.
I have RMA'd mine as i have issues with a fan also but if the power connector is the only problem and you get the cables in then id wait until its all 100% been fixed before RMAing it. Ill update to see if anything has changed when i get mine back.

Associate
My 8gb OC 3070 is WK44... at first I couldn't plug in the connectors at all straight down (like a normal person would), but I tried sliding it in from the left side and it went in without a problem. It sort of fixed itself and now it's ok easy to plug and replug the connector.
I don't know if mine is a faulty connector block though, there's no heat shrink around my cables.
I guess, I will have to wait til it decides to randomly shut down to know for sure.

Associate
Hi,

Following my Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision problem ... I made RMA to my reseller with a full and immediate refund ... I am now looking for an RTX 3080, better for my Gaming use (3440x1440p)
I still focus on the Vision series which is the only card that fits perfectly with a white setup ... Hoping it's not Russian roulette yet!

I have the 3080 Vision OC, got it last Friday following a recent shipment. Pins on the two 8 pin ATX connectors were fine. Only issue I had was trying to get my corsair cables plugged into the card, the pins were perfectly aligned but for some reason the plastic housing on the PSU cables were restricting; got around it by using extension cables which fit perfectly.

Associate
OP
If you have them in and the card works then I wouldn't worry, how often will you be taking the connectors out anyway once it's all plugged in. If you get shutdowns though...different matter.

Yeah agree with you if it works use it ...my concern is if someone as had to plug in with some force or wiggle it in who's to know that some of the pins may have been forced down.
the connection would still work but not fully connected then there is a risk of resistance over time re current.

There is also the problem when the end user comes to sell the card unplugs then finds the connectors are borked or the 2nd hand buyer then gets the issue upon installing that would be my concern.

By then could be out of warranty and what's worse over a fault that was not their doing in the 1st place.

Last edited:
Associate

that's all well and good but what happens in three years when I get a new card and unplug this one and it gets knackered outside of warranty?

Mine was sent on Monday at 12pm and is due back with me tomorrow. Have to say that is really impressive, providing it's working as expected...

Associate
DPD have picked mine back up and should be arriving tomorrow. GBT sent me an email this morning saying they were working on the card but I've had nothing since so don't know what they've done to the card (if anything).

Associate
Got my card back at 9am today so that was a day and half turnaround. Which is quite honestly brilliant. Everything seems fine although I can't actually tell if anythings been done but I assume so. Pcie protector I sent it with is missing which is a bit annoying but I'll live.

Last edited:
Associate
My card is back, won't have time to plug it in and test it till later tonight so hopefully it works. But my understanding of the jargon on the RMA page included was that they marked the PCI power slot #1 as a bad component and have replaced the unit.

Associate
Well just got today in my hands the RTX 3070 Gaming OC SN "2043" and all pins are very straight and easy to insert the PSU power cable. I have put it in and out a few times, to check that no pin is gone backwards, and everything seems correct and they are in place.

I think I have the power box fixed exactly as the GIGA REP shows us in this photo.

All the none AORUS cards did have it, there was some mixed stock in WK38 production which was why I didn't include that as a viable date in my previous post. The image in the above post is a good representation of the old version, here is the new version but it's not easy to see in the cards. We are now testing each card connector 10 times before shipment.

Untitled-1.png
https://ibb.co/zZ3s1XT

Mine you can see that is looks very similar.

power box:
https://ibb.co/hsMknGw

pins:
https://ibb.co/JC872hh

Associate
Well just got today in my hands the RTX 3070 Gaming OC SN "2043" and all pins are very straight and easy to insert the PSU power cable. I have put it in and out a few times, to check that no pin is gone backwards, and everything seems correct and they are in place.

I think I have the power box fixed exactly as the GIGA REP shows us in this photo.

https://ibb.co/zZ3s1XT

Mine you can see that is looks very similar.

power box:
https://ibb.co/hsMknGw

pins:
https://ibb.co/JC872hh

Glad to see you've received a good card and thank you for the photos. They're the clearest ones I've seen yet and a great reference for others to compare with.

Last edited:
Associate
My card is back, won't have time to plug it in and test it till later tonight so hopefully it works. But my understanding of the jargon on the RMA page included was that they marked the PCI power slot #1 as a bad component and have replaced the unit.
Okay I've installed the cards, the new connector slots worked liked a charm, fitted with no issues. Haven't done any game testing but PC being running smoothly now for half hour so seems like the new connectors have done the trick.

Back
Top Bottom