• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
I know this is a bit outrageous and forgive me for suggesting such, but it would be crazy if a manufacturer produced a card which didn't have unbearable coilwhine or **** fans you know like an actual proper GPU.

Soldato
Looks like the Gigabyte is the best for coil whine and having decent fans. It's just how cheap it looks (IMO) for such an expensive card.

I read somewhere about temperature concerns with the gigabyte cards, but I can't recall if it was a specific model or all of them.

Weird how there are barely any reviews on the Aorus either. I can't get over that the gaming OC costs the same as the supreme X and yet is mostly plastic and horrible

Last edited:
Associate
I read somewhere about temperature concerns with the gigabyte cards, but I can't recall if it was a specific model or all of them.

Weird how there are barely any reviews on the Aorus either. I can't get over that the gaming OC costs the same as the supreme X and yet is mostly plastic and horrible
Don't forget the pale green/blue backplates on the Gigabytes. I almost bought one then realised the colour would not go with anything. #1stWorldProblems

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a brand of 4080 that has had largely no coil whine feedback?

For the 4090 there was the Inno X3 but its sold out everywhere.
Anecdotally, the whole of the gigabyte 4000 range.

If anyone here has a gigabyte card it would be good if you posted here about coil whine.

Soldato
OP
Anecdotally, the whole of the gigabyte 4000 range.

If anyone here has a gigabyte card it would be good if you posted here about coil whine.

If I didn't care about looks I'd 100%, go for the Gigabyte. I just can't bring myself to spend so much on something that looks cheap IMO, or has flashing led rings. But they do seem to have nailed the acoustics.

Soldato
If I didn't care about looks I'd 100%, go for the Gigabyte. I just can't bring myself to spend so much on something that looks cheap IMO, or has flashing led rings. But they do seem to have nailed the acoustics.

I am a hypocrite. I'll tell you why. Usually when people post this stuff I say just look at your screen instead of in your case and you'll be ok.
That said, I'm having the same issue as you because they do all look a bit naff.
The SuprimX apart from being silver I think is one of the best looking cards and it was so solid as well. That said, if I get a card that has respectable fans and no coil wine, am I going to be bothered probably not.
So got a choice of Gaming Oc or Aorus for £95 more. Or take a punt on Zotac for under 1670.

I think @Richdog should have his replacement card by now so he could give us some anecdotal evidence about coilwhine and fans.

Last edited:
Associate
I am a hypocrite. I'll tell you why. Usually when people post this stuff I say just look at your screen instead of in your case and you'll be ok.
That said, I'm having the same issue as you because they do all look a bit naff.
The SuprimX apart from being silver I think is one of the best looking cards and it was so solid as well. That said, if I get a card that has respectable fans and no coil wine, am I going to be bothered probably not.
So got a choice of Gaming Oc or Aorus for £95 more. Or take a punt on Zotac for under 1670.

I think @Richdog should have his replacement card by now so he could give us some anecdotal evidence about coilwhine and fans.
The MSI Ventus looks really nice IMO. Sadly it kept going out of stock whre I live. I don't know of anyone with one and haven't seen any reviews so cannot comment on coil whine. Think it is the same as the Gaming X Trio model without RGB and a different shroud.

Soldato
Is there any point in discussing this? Individual experience seems to count for little and we all know that all graphics cards are subject to possible coil whine.

There are patterns though which helps, like mine and Hostile18 experiencing it badly in same games etc. I do agree though its a bit like the fan noise thing, some say "can't hear them" others say "jet engine" lots of factors.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Is there any point in discussing this? Individual experience seems to count for little and we all know that all graphics cards are subject to possible coil whine.

Of course there is.

Coil whine is there because of lazy engineering on the power delivery. It CAN be engineered out, Nvidia and AIBS choose not to.

People need to simply start rejecting cards with whine, not accepting the BS that its a characteristic of the component, and hopefully one day a manufacturer takes note.

I would happily pay a premium for an enhanced power delivery with guaranteed zero whine, im sure many here would also.

Soldato
It CAN be engineered out, Nvidia and AIBS choose not to.

No, it can't. Even industrial supply transformers suffer from coil whine, despite all the precautions they take. It's just not possible to engeer out all the issues and potential issues that may arise over time. This is why I think "individual" experience has no value - it doesn't take in to account an inevitable small number of faulty components.

Soldato
Would having the inductor coils made of varying thicknesses of copper (imagine plasticine rolled thinly between your fingers) and then this variable thickness copper wound into varying diameters of coil within the inductor, cancel out any resonance and reduce/stop the noise?

Soldato
I don't understand the technical of it, this is why I am confused why it gets way louder looking at grass on RDR2 but remains inaudible playing CP2077. Doesn't seem to be linked to either GPU load or FPS as I have done testing by limiting frames.

Soldato
OP
There's definitely a link between components used and coil whine. You just need to look how many Inno and Gigabyte quiet cards there are compared to Strix and Suprim etc.

Bequiet says you can use a glue during the manifactur9ng stage to kill the noise. Look at how many Series Xs have coil whine compared to the PS5 equivalent etc.

Its not random odds across all devices, that's just not based on any evidence.

Back
Top Bottom