• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Associate
I RMA’d my 4090 FE due to coil whine, when tested by the retailer they noted the coil whine as “significant“ and issued me a replacement the same day. I’ve just tested the replacement and it is loads more quiet, you would have to play at over 1500 fps if you want to hear it.

As a bonus my replacement also has a higher GPU boost out of the box so it’s a win all round.

Last edited:
Associate
Asus have the best PCB's and components generally speaking and therefore you could only speculate that its not the components but simply the level of current running through these mid and upper tier cards.

Maybe buying the cheapest, nastiest, low-power limit card is the way to go.

I doubt the laptop versions of the 4080 could get away with whine, maybe going 4080 laptop is the best way to go.
For the 3000 series that was my experience. TUF 3080 10 and 12GB, and Rog 3080 12GB, o lay in menus or at ridiculously high fps. Palit 3090, Red Devil 6900 XT, screamers. Even my actual Suprim X 3080 12GB show some cool whine. Not bad, but noticeable over the T30s. Is a very quiet and cool GPU, but the ASUS was quieter (but the Suprim X boost way higher).
Watercooling generally highlight the coil whine. Either because the system, usually, becomes so much quieter or because the card have such a large cold plate to resonate against or some components aren’t “muffed” by thermalpad anymore (not sure as usually all that have thermalpad with the aircooled have thermalpad for the waterblock).

Associate
Well my msi 4090 suprimx whines like a dog desperate for a walk !! At stock you can hear it a little but god help you when you oc it. It's the worst card for coil whine I have ever owned. Its still a beast for performance though hence why i have kept it !!

Soldato
Well my msi 4090 suprimx whines like a dog desperate for a walk !! At stock you can hear it a little but god help you when you oc it. It's the worst card for coil whine I have ever owned. Its still a beast for performance though hence why i have kept it !!

I have sent two of those back because frankly it's unacceptable. The worst culprit was playing red Dead redemption. For some reason The pitch would change depending on whether I was looking at the grass or elsewhere.

Like you I was very pleased with the performance and the fan noise but then I thought why am I compromising on something I paid 1,800 quid for

Last edited:
Soldato
Too right. Honestly we need to get a movement going where all cars with whine get RMAed until the AIBs fix the issue by sorting the power delivery out.

I'm not prepared to try a third one too much hassle. I may potentially take a punt on one of the cheaper models and see. If I cannot find one which has a tolerable level of it or none at all, I simply won't have one. It's not difficult

Associate
I have a 4080 FE, currently at stock settings, and it has no coil whine, even in 3D Mark and in the Shadow of the Tomb Raider menu with uncapped framerate.

In comparison my Asus 3080 Tuf gaming had very noticeable coil whine in these 2 situations but not in games where I lock the framerate to 100fps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I ordered a third 4090 Suprim, thinking perhaps I'd be lucky or something would change. Turns out its just the same. As mentioned above Red Dead 2 and Uncharted tend to be the worst, especially at 4k Native.

Not sure which way to go now. The cheaper 4090s seem better. but who wants to pay all that money for a plastic shroud etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 4080 FE, currently at stock settings, and it has no coil whine, even in 3D Mark and in the Shadow of the Tomb Raider menu with uncapped framerate.

In comparison my Asus 3080 Tuf gaming had very noticeable coil whine in these 2 situations but not in games where I lock the framerate to 100fps.

I read that capping frame rate helped but it didn't in my case and again it was a compromise because I have a 165 Hertz monitor. Why do I want to gimp my FPS?
I would happily try an FE but I'm not prepared to play the game trying to get one in stock. I think I might try the gainward phantom next because it just looks nice imo.

Soldato
OP
I read that capping frame rate helped but it didn't in my case and again it was a compromise because I have a 165 Hertz monitor. Why do I want to gimp my FPS?
I would happily try an FE but I'm not prepared to play the game trying to get one in stock. I think I might try the gainward phantom next because it just looks nice imo.

I was thinking the Phantom as well but its gone up +150 from last weeks sale price here, only 2 years warranty and there's a few people complaining about the fans on youtube.

Associate
I only cap mine to 100 since I have a 120Hz monitor and like to avoid tearing with G-sync. You could cap yours to 144Hz and not lose much. It is when the framerate hits 200 or so that it would start to increase the coil whine so it shouldn't matter in this range. Some cards seem to whine at any framerate sadly.

Optimum Tech and Der Bauer reckon that power limiting to 80% or so in Afterburner nets you 95% of the performance for 20% less power and less coil whine (and less heat). Most people here are probably trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out their cards though so probably won't be too keen on this idea

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking the Phantom as well but its gone up +150 from last weeks sale price here, only 2 years warranty and there's a few people complaining about the fans on youtube.

You may be getting mixed up with the new model. The GS. That does cost more than the original which is currently 1799. Actually, now I've written that. I'm pretty sure it was 1649 last week or so, so I think you're right.
I only cap mine to 100 since I have a 120Hz monitor and like to avoid tearing with G-sync. You could cap yours to 144Hz and not lose much. It is when the framerate hits 200 or so that it would start to increase the coil whine so it shouldn't matter in this range. Some cards seem to whine at any framerate sadly.

Optimum Tech and Der Bauer reckon that power limiting to 80% or so in Afterburner nets you 95% of the performance for 20% less power and less coil whine (and less heat). Most people here are probably trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out their cards though so probably won't be too keen on this idea

You are correct and I don't understand what triggers the whine because playing cyberpunk which stress the card way more didn't result in noticeable coil wine like it did in RDR2. Even though they were running at similar FPS

Soldato
I had the same results with Cyberpunk on 2 of my three models. Very little whine compared to RD2, Uncharted and Control.

Interesting, I wonder what it is. Such a shame though because on a lot of games the fans were so slow that I never heard them and silence is something I really aim for when I build a PC

Soldato
OP
Interesting, I wonder what it is. Such a shame though because on a lot of games the fans were so slow that I never heard them and silence is something I really aim for when I build a PC

I'm exactly the same. If the rest of the rig is quiet/silent its awful having one part that makes a noise. Mine is in a home cinema too with Atmos Surround.

The FE didn't have much whine at all but the fans were no where near as good. Can't win. Think I might try a PNY next.

Soldato
I'm exactly the same. If the rest of the rig is quiet/silent its awful having one part that makes a noise. Mine is in a home cinema too with Atmos Surround.

The FE didn't have much whine at all but the fans were no where near as good. Can't win. Think I might try a PNY next.

Yeah actually I am a bit more limited because I get a £60 discount at a different retailer and they don't hold as many cards as OCUK.

Associate
Heh Suprim X's are bad for whine but not even close to the Strix whine. It not even close.

Back
Top Bottom