• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Do you understand what causes it?

Actually, let me provide you an educational video.

That is interesting. So technically if a GPU is using the same components then someone who says their's has no coilwhine on the same model is talking ********.

It also means that I'm not going to get a better card if I keep having the same model as a replacement

Last edited:
That is interesting. So technically if a GPU is using the same components then someone who says their's has no coilwhine on the same model is talking ********.

It also means that I'm not going to get a better card if I keep having the same model as a replacement
I wouldn’t go as far to say anyone was talking poop if they had this experience. Every GPU I’ve had makes a whine if you put your ear to it or when under lots of stress. When playing at normal levels the whine can travel at various distances and in some cases can penetrate the the case when it’s closed. I recently replaced a 4090 FE and the one I sent back coil whine was high pitched and quite penetrating (it reminded me of an old style alarm clock ringing but not as loud).

The brand new replacement 4090 FE makes more of a hum like noise which gets drowned out by the fans and cant travel through the case side panel. If I use a benchmark tool to make the frame rate really high I can hear it, but it doesn’t ring, it buzzes which is more tolerable for me.

So I've had 3 4090 Suprims (all with coil whine, great fans). 1 FE that had small amount of coil whine, not so great fans (but certainly not bad).

I've decided to go with the PNY Epic X card now. I know the PCB isnt the best but overclocking isnt important to me (in fact undervolting is better). This seems to have the best combination of silent fans and no coil whine with a 450w power limit (again will help reduce any noise and heat). Toms Hardware got a 6% increase at only 2% extra power draw. It's also got 3 years warranty.

I'll report my findings tomorrow, but if it passes my seal of approval you know its good. OCUK have the best price on it at the moment at 1729. I'd also recommend the Gigabyte if I didn't not like the look of it.

Last edited:
Zotac 4090 Trinity OC …… no whine to report.

Fans could be better but that is something I can fix down the line (water cooling, replacement fans) but coil whine in my experience ain’t going anywhere.

The GPU’s run at such high frequencies these days it’s rare to not get coil whine.

Zotac 4090 Trinity OC …… no whine to report.

Fans could be better but that is something I can fix down the line (water cooling, replacement fans) but coil whine in my experience ain’t going anywhere.

The GPU’s run at such high frequencies these days it’s rare to not get coil whine.
I had 4 3090's the only one without coil whine was the zotak, thats why i went zotak for the 4090 and again, no coil whine.

You have thought this issue would be solved by now, every generation of cards seems to suffer with this issue. The times I've returned cards because of coil whine....:)

I wonder how many go back to the manufacturer rather than the retailer take a small hit as a "B grade" item. Maybe it's cheaper to just deal with a small % of unhappy customers than to fix at manufacture.

I wonder how many go back to the manufacturer rather than the retailer take a small hit as a "B grade" item. Maybe it's cheaper to just deal with a small % of unhappy customers than to fix at manufacture.
I think the problem is more acute this time around as the wattages have sky-rocketed.

2070 Super FE was only 200 watts (approx.) 4090 Strix is pulling up to 650watts-660watts.

Ada cards seem quite power efficient to be fair, should be nowhere near wattage that at stock. I would say that every GPU I have had going back at least 15 years has had some level of coil whine. Some were worse than others like the GTX 295 was a right banshee under load but the current (Palit) 4080 is very milld though possibly masked by the large cooler around it :p

Ada cards seem quite power efficient to be fair, should be nowhere near wattage that at stock. I would say that every GPU I have had going back at least 15 years has had some level of coil whine. Some were worse than others like the GTX 295 was a right banshee under load but the current (Palit) 4080 is very milld though possibly masked by the large cooler around it :p
Which version of the Palit did you get?

Why would you not mount that horizontally to show off all the whiteness.

Edit. Actually doesn't look like there would be room with that cooler
Because cards like the aero and strix have very little in the way of rgb so it creates a rgb black spot. It looks gash.

When I vertically mounted my strix I hated it. It not like the strix 3xxx series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom