• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Because cards like the aero and strix have very little in the way of rgb so it creates a rgb black spot. It looks gash.

When I vertically mounted my strix I hated it. It not like the strix 3xxx series.

Ah ok. I actually like lack of RGB but we all have different tastes for aesthetics of course.

I have now tried 2 Suprim 4090s and 1 Asus Tuf 4090. All three cards have the same buzz....not a whining sort of thing, more like an electric buzz.

To me that counts as coil whine or bad unwanted crappy noise if it is audible. I have had like every 4090 do that and it sounds like a chain saw. Some sound fainter than others, but it should be so faint you can barely if at all hear it even with good hearing and it should sound like a slight change of pitch in dead air rather than a bees nest or buzz saw.

I hope all the ones who say they have no coil whine actually are not having this electrical buzz and claiming their card is whine free because that is misleading in research as that noise sucks too and should be counted as coil whine.

Last edited:
To me that counts as oil whine or bad unwanted crappy noise if it is audible. I have had like every 4090 do that and it sounds like a chain saw. Some sound fainter than others, but it should be so faint you can barely if at all hear it even with good hearing and ti shoudl sound like a slight change oif pitch in dead air rather than a bees nest or buzz saw.

I hope all the ones who say they have no coil whine actually are not having this electrical buzz and claiming their card i whine free because that is misleading in research as that noise sucks too.

I think it's people having case fans that make noise partly throwing off results. Still if you've tried that many types might as well settle on one and power limit it tbh.

Ah ok. I actually like lack of RGB but we all have different tastes for aesthetics of course.
fair enough if you don;t like RGB. But In a case like mine where there is a lot then there area whihc looks darker than all teh rest it spoils it for me so I just mounted it normally.

Think I am gonna try a Gigabyte Aero next. Although I have pretty much given up getting any 4xxx series card without coil whine with the exception of the Zotac.

So upgraded my psu to a ATX3.0 Asus Loki 850w in anticipation to get a 4090 at some point later in the year but it has coil whine! Now im worried the coil whine will get even worse when actually paired with a 4090! There is little to no coil whine on the 3090 when it was paired with a SF750 corsair unit so wondering if Great wall or Seasonic psu's are more susceptible to doing this?

Last edited:
My 4090 Suprim X has some noticeable coil whine.
TimeSpy Stress Test Coil Whine Test
@Noxia
So upgraded my psu to a ATX3.0 Asus Loki 850w in anticipation to get a 4090 at some point later in the year but it has coil whine! Now im worried the coil whine will get even worse when actually paired with a 4090! There is little to no coil whine on the 3090 when it was paired with a SF750 corsair unit so wondering if Great wall or Seasonic psu's are more susceptible to doing this?
You can expect lots of coil whine with the 4090, every single one I've tried has had it. :D

Last edited:
I don't understand the technical of it, this is why I am confused why it gets way louder looking at grass on RDR2 but remains inaudible playing CP2077. Doesn't seem to be linked to either GPU load or FPS as I have done testing by limiting frames.
This happened to me, while playing Mechwarrior 5 its barely audible but playing something like AC Valhalla it screams! Though my problem is more psu related than GPU!

TimeSpy Stress Test Coil Whine Test
@Noxia

You can expect lots of coil whine with the 4090, every single one I've tried has had it. :D
Anywhere as bad as this?

This is my Loki PSU sounding like its about to crap out its internals.

Edit: Just watched your video, jesus that is bad! That would hurt my head after awhile if i had to listen to that while gaming. Sounds like an RC plane about to take off

Last edited:
Anywhere as bad as this?

This is my Loki PSU sounding like its about to crap out its internals.

Edit: Just watched your video, jesus that is bad! That would hurt my head after awhile if i had to listen to that while gaming. Sounds like an RC plane about to take off
:cry:

Luckily coil whine doesn't bother me too much, all the high end GPUs have it, some just have it worse than others. :)

:cry:

Luckily coil whine doesn't bother me too much, all the high end GPUs have it, some just have it worse than others. :)
Wish i could say the same :cry:, that would drive me nuts! Looks like im gonna be playing roulette with a 4090 or just try and do abit of research before ordering one.

Back
Top Bottom