• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Mine does it but unless your comp is on your desk I doubt many people would notice it.

pretty much inaudible to me when the fans are running unless I put my head at the height of the card.

I'm convinced anyone with a 4090 who claims they have no coil whine is either deaf or never listened for it specifically.

more reviewers should make a fuss about it and maybe they wouldn't let it happen in future gens

Yeah its definitely something that needs to be addressed in the future. Its a real lottery, certain frequencies of coil whine are very noticeable/distracting. Having three units now in the same system and been susceptible to it, I can say with certainty there is a large variance between units/skus. I'm super happy with mine now, but boy was it a headache.

Associate
Agree coil whine is very annoying for those who have it, and/or have it real bad.

For me, I find certain games elicits the whine to the point where it's clearly audible, but most games I do not notice it unless I put my ear up to the side panel.

Soldato
OP
For me I found certain frequencies travelled the room really well so if I could hear it from close up, I could here it from 5 meters away. Give me fan noise any day lol.

For next gen I'll definitely wait for feedback because its too much hassle swapping units.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea fan noise ftw lol

Even looking around the map and looking up at the sky, you can actually hear the coil whine pitch change. Very annoying, but this is once game specifically for me, RDR2.

All my other games I don't notice any whine.

Soldato
OP
I'd say with my new one 90% of games totally silent. 10% the faintest noise that you'd have to mute the audio to hear. (RD2, Uncharted) DLSS at any quality setting in those select games kills it completely.

Associate
Seems like we may need to update the title to include 4080's, DeBauers 4080 Strix has bad coil whine. Judging by the comments below it, it hasnt been smooth sailing for loads of people.

ah yes the old bad coil whine in a silent room when i jam my recording device up the cards arse

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well ive been speaking with an old friend who used to work for Hercules.

Hes sending me a product that he says helps stop or reduce coil whine, its a silicone based adhesive of some description, I'll let you know how I get on with it :D

Caporegime
Well ive been speaking with an old friend who used to work for Hercules.

Hes sending me a product that he says helps stop or reduce coil whine, its a silicone based adhesive of some description, I'll let you know how I get on with it :D

There was something like that on cards on here a few years ago, can't recall the details but i think @Gibbo had asked some of them to do it for a batch of cards. Might have been like 5+ years ago or more but it definitely happened.

Last edited:
Associate
If that was the only way you could hear it no one would be complaining lol.
i guess most people on this forum are 18-25 with pristine hearing not yet ruined by a life of music and work related noises, i mean mine arent terrible but over 40 now so coil whine isnt an issue for me i guess

Permabanned
I don't own a 40 series but my 6900 XT at very high FPS makes some coil noise, in all fairness I have all of my PC fans super low and I could up them a bit especially since this card kinda requires a bit more airflow than I am allowing anyway.

Some people really are too pedantic and OCD about coil whine, at idle there is none of this on the 6900 XT.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Some people really are too pedantic and OCD about coil whine, at idle there is none of this on the 6900 XT.

In your opinion.

Coin whine is a symptom of poor, lazy and cheap power delivery design. It can be engineered out but the manufacturers dont.

So I dont consider it pedantic to complain and make a manufacturer sort the issue out when dropping a not-insignificant amount of money on what should be a flagship product.

Just because it doesnt bother you doesnt mean others arent annoyed by it. My work involves crunching huge sets of data, often in quite complex tasks that require concentration, I usually do so in a quiet office and when a card with whine kicks off it is extremely noticeable.

Soldato
OP
I had to go through 3 PlayStation 5s to find a silent one. One of them left a ringing in my ears after I turned it off. It definitely wasn't something I'd put up with. Series X was quiet first go, I've never heard of a Series X have coil whine, despite been more powerful than the PS5. As Kindai said, its definitely something that can be engineered out.

I'm 38 and don't feel like my hearing is amazing, but definitely find it annoying as hell, when I do get tech with it.

Soldato
I don't own a 40 series but my 6900 XT at very high FPS makes some coil noise, in all fairness I have all of my PC fans super low and I could up them a bit especially since this card kinda requires a bit more airflow than I am allowing anyway.

it doesnt happen in idle, its when under load I had terrible coil whine on 3080 fe I could hear it even with headset when on quiet part and can be heard standing outside of the room front of door and the pitch changes made it really annoying I got it replaced which also has it but not as bad and it mostly gets drowned out when the fans kick in

I dont like how its a lottery when someone else could have much less of it but both paying the same and considering how much the prices of cards have increased shouldnt be the case anymore

Last edited:
Associate
In your opinion.

Coin whine is a symptom of poor, lazy and cheap power delivery design. It can be engineered out but the manufacturers dont.

So I dont consider it pedantic to complain and make a manufacturer sort the issue out when dropping a not-insignificant amount of money on what should be a flagship product.

Just because it doesnt bother you doesnt mean others arent annoyed by it. My work involves crunching huge sets of data, often in quite complex tasks that require concentration, I usually do so in a quiet office and when a card with whine kicks off it is extremely noticeable.
It's been around for 20 years.
Used to notice it in 3dmark2001se at high frame rates on an ATI 9800 Pro

Associate
Massive amount on the 4090 TUF OC to the point where I had to send it back :(. I've got none what so ever on this 4080 Strix, its like night and day.

Soldato
Do we have a standardized test for coil whine yet? Like a certain benchmark and settings etc that people could use to compare..
I'm not sure what causes the most whine...Is it super high fps or maximum GPU load?

Does anyone have (for example) some settings they use in 3DMark that always makes their card scream, or SuperPosition Benchmark we could try.

Back
Top Bottom