• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
I have ordered 1 of these cpu's with the Gigabyte Intel Z370 HD3P and the e-tailer is going to update the bios for me...

How easy are these to get running at 5ghz with turbo disabled?

Soldato
I have ordered 1 of these cpu's with the Gigabyte Intel Z370 HD3P and the e-tailer is going to update the bios for me...

How easy are these to get running at 5ghz with turbo disabled?

Judging by the average 8700k, I'd set 1.35vcore, 1.1 vccsa (up to 3200mhz memory), 1.05 vccio and it'll probably (TM) pass Prime stress tests. Set your avx offset to 4 to be conservative, reduce it if temps are good, and bring your volts down maybe 0.05 at a time until something fails. Good luck :)

Source: my (mediocre, tbh) 8700k runs 5.0 @ 1.355 vcore plus the above seems to be stable. You probably won't need more. Do not push vccsa or vccio unless you're already bumping higher vcore. It was a total red herring for me and pumped temps more than the vcore did. Fortunately 8 Pack set me straight before I got completely frustrated and gave up :)

Be interested to know if you try using offset and if so, how it goes. I'm fine with fixed on my Asrock Taichi, but having a hard time settling in with offset.

Soldato
Judging by the average 8700k, I'd set 1.35vcore, 1.1 vccsa (up to 3200mhz memory), 1.05 vccio and it'll probably (TM) pass Prime stress tests. Set your avx offset to 4 to be conservative, reduce it if temps are good, and bring your volts down maybe 0.05 at a time until something fails. Good luck :)

Source: my (mediocre, tbh) 8700k runs 5.0 @ 1.355 vcore plus the above seems to be stable. You probably won't need more. Do not push vccsa or vccio unless you're already bumping higher vcore. It was a total red herring for me and pumped temps more than the vcore did. Fortunately 8 Pack set me straight before I got completely frustrated and gave up :)

Be interested to know if you try using offset and if so, how it goes. I'm fine with fixed on my Asrock Taichi, but having a hard time settling in with offset.

Thanks a lot for that post,, I am well rusty at overclocking, I seem to remember that the 2500k was pretty easy, you just upped the cpu clock speed and fine tuned the cpu volts.. Is the 8086k anything like the 2500k to overclock?

Caporegime
I remember the days where buying a nice fast cpu was sooo exciting, thats not the case so much nowadays.

Yup, i remember going from my old slot 1 celeron 333 system to a new build pentium 3 1ghz with 256 megs of ram, that was a massive upgrade. Just don't really see that thee days unless you stay with the one cpu for near a decade.

I also remember the 1.33ghz thunderbird i had and how freaked out i was to put the cooler on incase i cracked the core, the old delta-fan cooler like a bloody dentists drill. :p

Soldato
I had the athlon thunderbird aswel, mine was a 1200 I think,,, that was a great cpu, it just about ran half-life 2 and farcry. But yeah you have to keep cpu's a long time now to see much of a difference.

Who remembers the slot cpu's? I had a intel slot 500mhz and 800mhz cpu's. Basically they were cpu's on a pcb card, a bit like a pci card with a fan mounted over the card.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the athlon thunderbird aswel, mine was a 1200 I think,,, that was a great cpu, it just about ran half-life 2 and farcry. But yeah you have to keep cpu's a long time now to see much of a difference.

Who remembers the slot cpu's? I had a intel slot 500mhz and 800mhz cpu's. Basically they were cpu's on a pcb card, a bit like a pci card with a fan mounted over the card.
The first pc in my hands could just about play hangman(graphics made of letters), was less than 5mhz and the massive 20-30ish megabyte drive was the size of a small motorbike engine :p. Also think it had like 1 or 2 megs of ram might have been less.. cant remember.. CGA color monitor.. after that a slew of 386s and well the rest is history. Upgrading was exciting... not as much anymore..

Soldato

Fond memories of slot 1 P3 600 Coppermine overclocked to 1Ghz using a TEC on an massive Alpha Heatsink(imported from the US with Mushkin ram, as there was nobody in the UK that catered for that stuff yet) on an Abit BX mobo. Those were the days when you could buy a lesser part and overclock to outperform a part that cost 2-3x more.
Northwood P4 was another good one Athlon Tbird XP and A64 also great

Soldato
My shiny new cpu, but I cant test it yet because the place where I ordered the motherboard from didnt update it, so dpd is picking up the board Monday and I am hoping to get it back weds or thurs,,,, bummer :mad:

i3cvn6.jpg

ulg93.jpg

Soldato
Yup, i remember going from my old slot 1 celeron 333 system to a new build pentium 3 1ghz with 256 megs of ram, that was a massive upgrade. Just don't really see that thee days unless you stay with the one cpu for near a decade.

I also remember the 1.33ghz thunderbird i had and how freaked out i was to put the cooler on incase i cracked the core, the old delta-fan cooler like a bloody dentists drill. :p
I remember having my pentium 133 at 190 :). But it wasn't stable and I had to settle for 166...

Soldato
Does the memory have to be overclocked with the cpu, as I bought some kingston fury 2666mhz to go with my 8086k?

Why would you buy the top end CPU then possibly the worst memory speed available??? Really you should be aiming 3,200+ as these will run with memory up to 4,133 with the right board.

Soldato
My shiny new cpu, but I cant test it yet because the place where I ordered the motherboard from didnt update it, so dpd is picking up the board Monday and I am hoping to get it back weds or thurs,,,, bummer :mad:
Will it not boot then? I would have thought you would just get an unknown CPU warning until flashed.

Soldato
Why would you buy the top end CPU then possibly the worst memory speed available??? Really you should be aiming 3,200+ as these will run with memory up to 4,133 with the right board.

Im not bothered about overclocking the memory, just the cpu, I havent touched the memory with my 2500k/2600k cpu. So I am hoping the memory speed can be left alone when overclocking the cpu?

Will it not boot then? I would have thought you would just get an unknown CPU warning until flashed.

I really want to try it, but with not being able todo fiddly stuff on my own, I need to make it as easy as poss for my mates. So they wont be pleased if it doesnt boot and have to take it apart, then build it again once its sorted.

Associate
Spent a few evenings tweaking mine after deliding with conduconaught and kryonaught and i've currently settled on:
50x
1.3v core
Asock llc level 2
vccio 1.05v
vccsa 1.1v
45x cache
avx -3 (thinking of dropping this to -1)

Just touches 80c on my small NH-U9S under prime.

Soldato
I am hoping when I get the board sorted, I will be able to turn off the turbo boost and oc cpu to something like 4.8ghz and it will underclock its self when idel or not doing much work..

But yeah, I have never liked overclocking memory as you dont really get much extra speed from it. My memory is not great I grant you at 2666mhz, but how much speed increase would I see with memory at 3200mhz or faster?

Back
Top Bottom