4790k & 1080ti Upgrade time..

Soldato
No, just windows.

Other than web browsing, gaming and occasionally watching Football on a second screen while I'm doing something, I won't be using it for any video editing or serious coding etc..

I'm definitely leaning more towards AMD, I've just always been Intel to this point so it feels odd. Definitely think I'm going to see what happens with Computex before deciding properly though.

In the meantime, I might buy a new case/fans, screen and PSU etc.. while i figure the rest out. Would also in theory mean I can add to the budget.

I’d leave the PSU unless you plan to use it. No point having kit sat idol burning through warranty waiting for a CPU that might be six months or more away from release.

Associate
Hi all,

As the title suggests, it's getting towards that time where I need to upgrade after close to ten years. I'm running (lightly) modded Skyrim, Cyberpunk etc.. and things are starting to struggle.

I primarily use my PC these days for gaming and surfing the web, nothing in the way of work outside of office applications from time to time.

One of my questions is how much of my current set up is worth keeping? My PSU, the case etc.. for example. I could replace elements little by little at a later date.

OR I start by getting a new case, PSU etc.. and wait for the new generations to release?

I've currently been gaming at 1080p. I'd like to improve this. A new monitor would be purchased separately.

I guess what I'd like to do is 'future proof' the bulk of the build as much as possible and then go for a 5* series GPU when released (or do I just wait?).

My current spec is:

Corsair Obsidian 450d Case
2 x 140mm Fans top and front, 1x 120 fan back.
EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 PSU
Intel i7 4790k CPU
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MoBo
Prolimatech Megahalems (2x 120mm push/pull fans)
Teamgroup Xtreem 16gb DDR3 RAM 2666
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

The budget would be in the region of 2500.

i just got a ryzen 3900 / 3080 on the used market and the difference is night and day gaming based on limited testing, the windows experience is identical. I'm thinking of getting the 5800x3d but if you're buying new, you may as well get the AM5 7800x3d

im giving my old 4770k / 1080 ti to my kids and could do with a 2nd one :D

Associate
OP
I'd look at the Strix B650E-F.
Is there any reason to avoid the x670 boards, with longevity in mind?

I don't anticipate OC, just thinking of future CPU. The expected longevity of AM5 is what's attracting me, is all.

Also reading mixed reports about certain brands and either Bios or RTM issues. Feels like a minefield! You've recommended Asus boards, so assume they're a safe bet?

Man of Honour
Is there any reason to avoid the x670 boards, with longevity in mind?

I don't anticipate OC, just thinking of future CPU. The expected longevity of AM5 is what's attracting me, is all.
X670 doesn't have PCI-E 5.0 graphics, but sometimes it does have more connectivity, e.g. MSI X670-P has 4x M.2 slots of which one is PCI-E 5.0 (most B650 boards have 2 or 3 M.2 slots) and 6x SATA (most boards only have 4).

The circumstances X670 makes sense are not... common, since B650E boards can be more feature rich. X670 Aorus Elite is another example, a well-built board, but feature rich? Not really.

The main reason to buy X670E instead of X670 is PCI-E 5.0 graphics and over B650E, 4x M.2 slots. The very highest-end boards also tend to be X670E, if you want features like 10Gb LAN & USB 4 (like the X670E Creator), but these kind of boards are £400+ and the impact on the rest of your build by eating that much of the budget on the board rarely makes sense.

Also reading mixed reports about certain brands and either Bios or RTM issues. Feels like a minefield! You've recommended Asus boards, so assume they're a safe bet?
Most of the early issues have been addressed now, but you do still have to be careful with memory choice.

Asus specifically: no, I'm not recommending Asus specifically, it just happens to be that the B650E-F is one of the cheapest decently equipped boards for someone that wants to "future proof" their PCI-E graphics & SSD. If you can find a cheaper board with those features, then I have zero objection. Just don't buy one of these and you're good:

Associate
OP
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

So, based on advice and what I've been reading up on, the set up below should mean I'm good for a few years, have the opportunity to upgrade the cpu in future and PCIe 5?

Is there a particular m.2 that would work well with this?

Would likely be getting the Phantom 212.

The x670e-e was the other motherboard I was looking at.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £735.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Soldato
Here is the best that Ican do at just under£2500 it is futureproof
since that board has gen5 pcie 5.0 m.2 slots, you want to get a gen 5 pcie5.0 for a boot drive, it also has some gen4 pcie4.0 slots, so you could save a little cash by just getting gen 4 pcie 4.0 dm.2 for them as side drives, but you could run up to x4 pcie5.0 m.2 if you want epic speed with everything

the corsair pcie 5.0 m.2s are reasonably priced, as seen here for the 1TB version, and here for the 2TB version
I have a 1 TB 5.0 main drive and windows is super snappy, things open near instantly, my side drives are my old ssd's from previous builds

Last edited:
Man of Honour
the set up below should mean I'm good for a few years, have the opportunity to upgrade the cpu in future and PCIe 5?
A few things to note:
- The B650E-E has 4x M.2 slots on paper, but B650/B650E struggles to have enough lanes for this and it steals them from the graphics card which reverts to 8 lane operation when you fill all the M.2 slots. Would I care? No, but if you're buying the B650E-E specifically for the extra slot over the B650E-F then it is worth knowing.
- RGB RAM is often rather tall if you're air cooling, though it depends on the RAM and the cooler if that matters.

Would likely be getting the Phantom 212.
Is that a cooler?

Also, random but D30 fans would work in a Corsair 5000d airflow case?
It says in the description on Corsair's website of the 5000D Airflow that it uses a "repeater" that has 6x slots for fans, with 2x fans included. I don't know if it supports only 4-pin PWM, but I assume these are supported because it calls the repeater a PWM repeater. I think Phanteks D30 fans are 4-pin PWM.

I think the RGB on Phanteks fans is proprietary (D-RGB), but it says it includes an adapter for the motherboard and since it is 5v, I assume you use the addressable 5v header of which the B650E-E has 3. Do check though because if you get the voltage or the pinout wrong with RGB bad things happen and they're not as user friendly or standardised as other connectors on the board.

Just for gaming it isn't that important, but I'd consider a higher-end drive for your boot drive and a lower-end drive for storage, e.g. Crucial T500 for boot, apps and games and WD SN580 for games storage.

Last edited:
Associate
Also, random but D30 fans would work in a Corsair 5000d airflow case?

Would they work with a phantom or noctua cooler if I went ott?

I have a cunning plan, you see. If I put all this in a case that looks like the one I have now, then she might not notice..
if there's money involved...she'll know
I go with distraction...bunch of flowers to start.....

Associate
OP
I'm thinking 1x m.2 for Boot, 1x m.2 for games and then 'x' number of standard ssd with additional storage or less frequently used games.

Possibly one hdd.

Man of Honour
I'm thinking 1x m.2 for Boot, 1x m.2 for games and then 'x' number of standard ssd with additional storage or less frequently used games.
Possibly one hdd.
depends on how much storage you need and how much you want to spend ofc
personally have a 2tb sn850x for my windows/programs/games and a second sn770 2tb for my media files/general storage
getting rid of stata drives = less cable mess

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120, apologies.
With the peerless assassin, I believe you can raise the right fan a bit to give you more RAM height clearance, since the phantom spirit is so similar I assume you can do the same, but I don't know.

I wouldn't waste a slot on a small boot drive, especially since small drives tend to be worse value (500GB can be terrible value).

Man of Honour
I wouldn't waste a slot on a small boot drive, especially since small drives tend to be worse value (500GB can be terrible value).
agree. with the latest drives (not including gen 5 - personally think this is not required at the moment)...2tb is the best compromise of performance and value

Man of Honour
Got it, so a couple of 2tb with 500gb partitioned off on one for Boot?
honestly unless you frequently reinstall windows there's not really any need to partition a ssd, and definitely not for any performance-related reason.
back in the day with spinning hdd...yes, you did benefit from partitioning as the first partition was on the outer rim of the spinning disk hence faster read/writes...but that was like three decades ago, you dinosaur :p

Back
Top Bottom