4790k & 1080ti Upgrade time..

Man of Honour
£159.95 for a 1TB gen5 m.2 is hardily breaking the bank with a 2.5k budget!, might as well just say that spending 2.5k on a PC is a bumb idea in the first place, just spend 1.5K and get a calculator, a console, a bigger TV, and use a libary computer for free, sell your old kit and buy an extra mcdonald's this month with the proceeds
i think you're well and truly missing the point here.
take 2x 2tb gen 4 drives (eg adata gammix) this is £230 for 2x2tb, saving that extra £240 from that 4tb t700 that you listed
by the time gen 5 becomes relevant, there will be faster drives than the t700 (hopefully not called the t1000 or the t-x that will end humanity) and cost-per-gb will have largely fallen to something similar to the current gen 4 drives
if OP then buys a gen 5 4tb drive for £240...he will be quids in, because he does not pay the early adopter tax like you did, and for the same amount of money...has 1x 4tb gen 5, and 2x 2tb gen 4 drives
he can also sell those gen 4 drives and recoup the cash...making it a much more sensible purchase
(and not to forget, that future t1000/t-x gen 5 drive will also be faster than the current t700)

or, to put it another way, £2.5k will get you a computer with a 4080 super + gen 4 ssd...or a 4070ti super + gen 5 ssd
out of the both of them...i know which one i will pick all day and all night long even in my sleep

Last edited:
Soldato
i think you're well and truly missing the point here.
take 2x 2tb gen 4 drives (eg adata gammix) this is £230 for 2x2tb, saving that extra £240 from that 4tb t700 that you listed
by the time gen 5 becomes relevant, there will be faster drives than the t700 (hopefully not called the t1000 or the t-x that will end humanity) and cost-per-gb will have largely fallen to something similar to the current gen 4 drives
if OP then buys a gen 5 4tb drive for £240...he will be quids in, because he does not pay the early adopter tax like you did, and for the same amount of money...has 1x 4tb gen 5, and 2x 2tb gen 4 drives
he can also sell those gen 4 drives and recoup the cash...making it a much more sensible purchase
(and not to forget, that future t1000/t-x gen 5 drive will also be faster than the current t700)

or, to put it another way, £2.5k will get you a computer with a 4080 super + gen 4 ssd...or a 4070ti super + gen 5 ssd
out of the both of them...i know which one i will pick all day and all night long even in my sleep

NAND prices though. Who knows what the future holds, especially with the China situation.

Soldato
that you listed
let's just forget the first two drives that I listed earlier in this thread shall we?( £159.95 for a 1TB gen 5, £269 .99 for a gen5 2TB) I went for a 1TB boot drive with gen 5 on my current build, because I could, and things open so fast!
maybe I feel gen5 more on win 10 since I dont use win11, idk
and, at least read my replies properly, the money spent on x2 2TB gen 4 m.2 is the best part of x1 4TB gen4, so why not just go for a 4TB drive to start with? and keep things simple

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately I'm space limited and need two monitors (also already have a double monitor arm I don't want to not use).

Maybe next time!

I think you can save a lot of money if you’re only running 2560x1440 it’s not even 4 megapixels.

Last edited:
Associate
As in, a 4080 super or 4070 ti super running at 1440p?
As tamzzy said both will be fine for 1440p I only meant it dependes on your budget and if you have to sacrifice something I would rather get a better GPU than a higher spec SSD. But that's just my opinion, it's your decision at the end of the day

Associate
OP
So, if I understand this correctly..

With the B650e-e motherboard, if I use m.2 slots 1&2 then there is no negative impact on pcie lanes? It's only slot 3 that impacts things?

Meaning 2x m.2 and a gpu will work fine with no issues?

Associate
So, if I understand this correctly..

With the B650e-e motherboard, if I use m.2 slots 1&2 then there is no negative impact on pcie lanes? It's only slot 3 that impacts things?

Meaning 2x m.2 and a gpu will work fine with no issues?

My take..

There are 4 m.2 slots....it's slot it's M.2_3 which shares lanes with the gpu, so that drops from pcie5x16 to 5x8...which in effect is pcie4x16 (which is what you get on a standard pcie4 gpu slot anyway, so really wont make a difference for current gpu's, as a 4090 doesn't saturate 4x16)

so if you go to the manual pg 1-11 it's slot 'B' at the bottom that shares the lanes, so if you don't want them shared, slot A will be your primary, and use slot C and D as your next 2 m.2 spaces, unless you have no plans in getting a gpu that requires pcie5 in the fututre (whenever that may be, in which case, use slot B also)

Soldato
My take..

There are 4 m.2 slots....it's slot it's M.2_3 which shares lanes with the gpu, so that drops from pcie5x16 to 5x8...which in effect is pcie4x16 (which is what you get on a standard pcie4 gpu slot anyway, so really wont make a difference for current gpu's, as a 4090 doesn't saturate 4x16)

so if you go to the manual pg 1-11 it's slot 'B' at the bottom that shares the lanes, so if you don't want them shared, slot A will be your primary, and use slot C and D as your next 2 m.2 spaces, unless you have no plans in getting a gpu that requires pcie5 in the fututre (whenever that may be, in which case, use slot B also)

It may or may work out like that depending on the motherboard topology. In theory you could breakout a 16x gen5 lanes to 32 gen 4 lanes (my dream motherboard desktop configuration) but most vendors don’t use this configuration because it adds cost requires a little effort on their part.

Back
Top Bottom