4790k & 1080ti Upgrade time..

Soldato
'**When M.2_3 is occupied with an SSD device, PCIEX16_1 will run x8 only.'

Yeah, i think it's this bit I've been reading.

Is there a yes/no answer to this?
the answer is yes, yes it will, will that matter? no, not really, maybe far into the future when gpus far exceed the data transfer ammount of that x8 can do can do, but even then it will be backwards compatible
the answer to keeping x16 is to use slot A as your primary m.2 drive, this is what i've done on my similar asus x670 a-e board, just my slot is called m.2 2_1, it looks likee they have simply made the bothboards to use the'first' m.2 slot to not take away lanes from the gpu slot, I think that the first slots are pthe closest to the cpu too which means best performance using the closest pcie lanes to the cpu, so it's win/win really, don't sweat it, just put your main drive in slot A, you will be fine

Man of Honour
OK, thanks all. First build in ten years and the technical aspects are not clear in my head!
If it helps, lane switching is ALWAYS fixed because not switching is verrrrrry expensive and not practical.

By which I mean, if you have lanes shared between slots, that sharing is hard wired into the motherboard permanently.

In other words, M.2 slot 3 (label: M.2_3) will always steal 8 lanes from the graphics card when used.

Permabanned
Hey folks,

With a $2500 budget, here's what I'd suggest for an upgrade:

Go for the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X for the CPU.
Snag a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 for the GPU.
Get yourself some G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM (32GB).
Grab a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD for speedy storage.
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) for the motherboard.
Case-wise, the Fractal Design Meshify C is a solid choice.
Power it up with an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5.
Keep it cool with a Noctua NH-D15.
And top it off with an ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ monitor.
Should give you a sweet gaming setup to enjoy! Let me know if you need more info.

Soldato
Hey folks,

With a $2500 budget, here's what I'd suggest for an upgrade:

Go for the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X for the CPU.
Snag a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 for the GPU.
Get yourself some G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM (32GB).
Grab a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD for speedy storage.
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) for the motherboard.
Case-wise, the Fractal Design Meshify C is a solid choice.
Power it up with an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5.
Keep it cool with a Noctua NH-D15.
And top it off with an ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ monitor.
Should give you a sweet gaming setup to enjoy! Let me know if you need more info.
Why would he buy an am4 based setup with old and often over priced parts?

Last edited:
Associate
New CPU's July and motherboards. AM5. However this has already likely been mentioned. 9600X, 9700X. Plus the 870 series AM5 motherboards. I would wait myself. The node is 4nm and will run cooler, quieter. 65 watts for a 9600X, plus the high-end also has similar improvements. Oh, and 16% instructions per clock gain on CPU. On average.

Associate
OP
OK, so I have everything other than the GPU.

Currently rocking my 1080ti while I get everything else up and running, installed etc..

Two questions:

1. Are any of the 4080 super prices likely to drop further anytime in the next few weeks? I realise this is probably a silly question..

2. Is there any reason not to get a founders edition?? Outside of looks, I mean.

I'm just on the fence with pulling the trigger is all. OC (and others) tend to be selling out of the 4080 super and 4090 prices aren't exactly dropping..

I'm kinda thinking I'd like to upgrade to the next gen in 12 months time.

Soldato
OK, so I have everything other than the GPU.

Currently rocking my 1080ti while I get everything else up and running, installed etc..

Two questions:

1. Are any of the 4080 super prices likely to drop further anytime in the next few weeks? I realise this is probably a silly question..

2. Is there any reason not to get a founders edition?? Outside of looks, I mean.

I'm just on the fence with pulling the trigger is all. OC (and others) tend to be selling out of the 4080 super and 4090 prices aren't exactly dropping..

I'm kinda thinking I'd like to upgrade to the next gen in 12 months time.
Next gen GPUs are coming in a few months and you’ll get 4090 performance for closer to 4080 prices with the 5080, likewise early next year a 5070 should offer 4080 performance for around £600 so hold off if you can and if not then maybe go for something like a 4070S as an interim card which can be had for just over £500 as that will hold its value much better than a 4080S come next gen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wondering if a 4070 Super or a 7900 Gre is a decent enough stop gap for 1440p ultra on Cyberpunk, modded Skyrim, RDR2 etc..? To last me 6 - 12 months?

Last edited:
Associate
I can't foresee any real difficulties for those cards at 1440p especially on slightly older games like those.

And you should be able to grab one at 500 or below if you shop around. I imagine you'll be able to sell on without losing too much money in a years time too.

Out of interest though, have you checked how well your 1080ti would handle them?

Back
Top Bottom