4790k & 1080ti Upgrade time..

Soldato
With the peerless assassin, I believe you can raise the right fan a bit to give you more RAM height clearance, since the phantom spirit is so similar I assume you can do the same, but I don't know.

I wouldn't waste a slot on a small boot drive, especially since small drives tend to be worse value (500GB can be terrible value).
I have the Phantom Spirit Evo and I can confirm that you can indeed raise the fan to give more clearance on the RAM if needed, its just a couple of springy wire doofers that you can slide up the cooler a bit, sorry for getting all technical there.

Soldato
I have the Phantom Spirit Evo and I can confirm that you can indeed raise the fan to give more clearance on the RAM if needed, its just a couple of springy wire doofers that you can slide up the cooler a bit, sorry for getting all technical there.

"Springy wire doofers" is a highly appropriate technical term, given they're the most long lasting and awful trend in HSF manufacturing. :cry:

Soldato
Is there any loss in performance by just moving the fan to the other side and leaving the ram clear?

There might be a small difference, honestly I'd not be concerned with it. I've seen people only use the middle fan on more demanding chips without a problem, the 7800X3D isn't a heat monster.

Soldato
Is there any loss in performance by just moving the fan to the other side and leaving the ram clear?
I wouldn't say so in all honesty, the reason I have mine on the front is to blow the air through, you could move it to the back and suck it through instead, I have a fan on the back of my case and they would have been very close together basically just making noise by chopping air.

Associate
just use a diff cooler if doesn't fit...I use a arctic a35argb air cooler on my 7800x3d...it's on a b650e-e board with corsair rgb ram...no clearance issues and it's silent...only makes a noise when stress testing it...and if the 5000s side glass is like the 5000x, it's so dark, you don't really see too much anyway, except the actual rgb

yl6cG1Ll.jpg

J1j7Dnql.jpg

5000x case so can see tint in glass
F0FSDp1l.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
personally Iif you are going to buy a couple of 2TB drives, then you might as well buy x1 4TB drive for boot and storage here
That's a lot of money for not much benefit tbh. Gen 5 speeds are nice to look at but offer nothing tangible to 99% of users. He could spend half that and never notice the difference.

Man of Honour
That's a lot of money for not much benefit tbh. Gen 5 speeds are nice to look at but offer nothing tangible to 99% of users. He could spend half that and never notice the difference.
agree. for day-to-day and gaming use, i can't even tell the difference between a gen 3 and gen 4 nvme ssd lol
it's not the outright sequential speed that matter (despite what the ad blurb states), its the randoms that matter the most, and a gen 5 ssd does not improve this noticeably, if at all.

see the randoms:
CDM for T700
i5Vj9Sz.png

CDM for SN850X
PvQfaL9.png

CDM for 970 evo plus
Rq2l86A.png

Soldato
you could say that getting x2 2TB m.2s are not much benefit compared to x1 1TB boot drive and x1 2TB storage drive, anyway, tte point of my post was not about gen 5, it was about, if you are going to spend money on two 2TB drives just spend that on a single 4TB drive, much better value
what would you rather have, x2 2TB drives with 500GB partitioned on one of them as a boot drive and another 2TB drive for storage, or would you just rather have a single 4TB m.2 that did everything? at fast speeds; idk if you have personally tried gen5 pcie, but I have, and my windows experience has never been snappier

Last edited:
Soldato
idk if you have personally tried gen5 pcie, but I have, and my windows experience has never been snappier
I've blind tested with people I know using sata ssds through gen 3-4-5 NvME's. For general use nobody could tell the difference. As mentioned by @tamzzy it's the randoms that matter and there's very little difference moving from SATA speeds to pcie, let alone gen 3 - 5.

As for value, you linked a 4tb drive costing half a grand, it's an extremely poor use of even a healthy budget like 2.5k.

Soldato
or value, you linked a 4tb drive costing half a grand, it's an extremely poor use of even a healthy budget like 2.5k.
I'm comparing it to the cost of x2 2TB pcie5 drives,
pcie 5.0 is with us to stay I'm still using old SSD's that haven't broken and will still be using them for years to come, that is value to me.., should I have stuck with my RAID0 scorpio blacks that were still working when I very first started buying SSDs?, would the 99% have noticed *that* much difference? Nah, I bought an SSD for my boot drive,and used my old scorpios as storage, modern technology and all that innit! esp for an enthusiast!
even if he goes for x2 pcie 4.0 2TB drives it would still make sense to go for a single 4TB drive for roughly the same cost total,
if you have pcie gen 5 capability, why wouldn't you use 5.0 gen 5 when you have the capability and the budget certainly allows it, even if with only just a simple 1TB gen5 boot drive?
come pcie5 gpus, are you going to recommend? just buying old tech systems to put new gpus into, because it is good enough for the 99% or will you match tomorrow's technology with what matches then? honestly.

Man of Honour
today's boot drive can last for years over many builds, and at the very least becomes tomorrow's storage drive eventually, it's not like pcie5.0 is not here to stay
because that's currently a dumb way to waste money. sure if there's price parity with gen 4 drives...but as it stands, you're paying double for negligible real-world performance uplift

Soldato
there may come a day where a gen 5 drive makes sense and value to buy
but...

today is not the day :cry:

Might be while for desktop systems running windows. For the vast majority scenarios anything that can move 500-600 megabytes per sec sustained, with half decent IOPS and queue depth is fine.

Soldato
as it stands, you're paying double for negligible real-world performance uplift
£159.95 for a 1TB gen5 m.2 is hardily breaking the bank with a 2.5k budget!, might as well just say that spending 2.5k on a PC is a bumb idea in the first place, just spend 1.5K and get a calculator, a console, a bigger TV, and use a libary computer for free, sell your old kit and buy an extra mcdonald's this month with the proceeds

Soldato
£159.95 for a 1TB gen5 m.2 is hardily breaking the bank with a 2.5k budget!, might as well just say that spending 2.5k on a PC is a bumb idea in the first place, just spend 1.5K and get a calculator, a console, a bigger TV, and use a libary computer for free, sell your old kit and buy an extra mcdonald's this month with the proceeds

You can get a 2TB Gen 4 drive for less than that, and a 1TB for £60 or so.

Spending more shifts the budget away from other components, there is literally zero benefit for 99% of users to spend more than double on Gen 5 drives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom