*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Just ordered 4k releases of Starship Troopers, Terminator 2 and Captain Underpants from DeepDiscount in the US. Came to £54 inc postage
is that much cheaper then - happened to see T2uhd was £23pre on Amazon today.
Barnes&Noble US used to have good sales of Criterian discs, which seemed to creep through customs, don't know if they have good 4k prices though.

Soldato
is that much cheaper then - happened to see T2uhd was £23pre on Amazon today.
Barnes&Noble US used to have good sales of Criterian discs, which seemed to creep through customs, don't know if they have good 4k prices though.

T2 is $17 which was paid via an exchange rate of $1.31 so it was £12.99 not inc postage. If you include the postage average total is £15.99.

Well unless they factored the import tax into the price then you will end up paying. They will hold it at the depot as well to make you turn up to get it.

I know its a bit of a lottery. The 3 x 4k discs I bought from JB Hifi in Australia arrived in one package and I paid nothing. We shall see come early November.

--update just had confirmation that Captain Underpants and Starship Troopers have been shipped so will see what happens when they arrive. Pretty good they split the order for the same delivery cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been using the Apple TV 4K and it’s great, if anyone is interested in cheap films using iTunes US, head over to the Apple section and browse the Apple TV thread.

Associate
Watched the Blade Runner 4K. The HDR is out of this world - visually this disc is up there with The Revenant in terms of visuals and they're amazingly decades apart.

Soldato
Just bought Spider-Man Homecoming for $6, connected my iTunes account with my US Moviesanywhere account, i can now access Spider-Man in 4K on my Apple TV, so much cheaper than buying it over here :D

Here is my iTunes library so far, that's $40 worth of films and 15 in 4K. :)

6z7ee0Lh.jpg

Soldato
How does that work? Are they streamed? I'd imagine there is some compression if it is, also what kind of audio do you get? For me UHD is worth the extra if it also comes with Atmos or DTS:X.

Soldato
They are streamed, It is 4K, depends on the film I think but most are Dolby vision, I don’t see any compression on my 55” tv, the picture is awesome.

What I’ve done is sign up to an iTunes US account, also signed up to a moviesanywhere account and linked them together, this allows me to buy cheap digital copies of films (normally the slip that comes with blurays) and have them across both platforms.

I have my UK and US Apple ID logged into my Apple TV, meaning I get my older films I’ve had for ages and any new films I buy from the US.

If you’d like to know anymore send me a trust message and I’ll send you some links to set it up.

Much cheaper than buying films in the UK.

Soldato
Netflix stream 4k in 15Mbps (according to my Samsung Netflix app on my Sammy 4k player) so if they do something similiar whilst you may have got them cheap they will be no where near the quality of 4k discs.

You could put them next to each other and I bet 99% of people could not say which was streamed and which was playing through a disc.

Soldato
You could put them next to each other and I bet 99% of people could not say which was streamed and which was playing through a disc.
A lot still cant tell between SD and HD. Thing is I'd know and thats what counts to me. I`m quite happy with watching Daredevil etc in 4k but I just know it would be better off disc. Anyway its not worth debating it anymore its been done to death and there is never any right conclusion its down to personal preference.

Soldato
A lot still cant tell between SD and HD. Thing is I'd know and thats what counts to me. I`m quite happy with watching Daredevil etc in 4k but I just know it would be better off disc. Anyway its not worth debating it anymore its been done to death and there is never any right conclusion its down to personal preference.

That’s true, I’m happy with the 4K stream for the price I’m paying, $4 compared to £20-£30 for some 4K discs is a huge saving.

Soldato
Do itunes have titles not available on Netflix ? or do most streaming services have all studios, plus a similar 90day wait for migration from cinema.
(if you could get a 4k Bladerunner 2049 streaming today, that would be a game changer - cinema is expensive in the UK)

I think you could adopt a hybrid solution, watch them digitally streamed, and then buy them if you find you like them enough.

The avforums analysis (discussed before on OC) is that the 15Mb/s is equivalent to a blu-ray disk, for perceived PQ.
I would expect netflix have slighlty better codecs than Apple, they are using in excess of 50% of the Internet bandwidth in the USA at peak hours (MB=$profit)
if you read their codec blogs, they discuss how they have identify the important parts of scenes (seems to be faces principally) and encode them better than other parts of the images.

Soldato
Do itunes have titles not available on Netflix ? or do most streaming services have all studios, plus a similar 90day wait for migration from cinema.
(if you could get a 4k Bladerunner 2049 streaming today, that would be a game changer - cinema is expensive in the UK)

I think you could adopt a hybrid solution, watch them digitally streamed, and then buy them if you find you like them enough.

The avforums analysis (discussed before on OC) is that the 15Mb/s is equivalent to a blu-ray disk, for perceived PQ.
I would expect netflix have slighlty better codecs than Apple, they are using in excess of 50% of the Internet bandwidth in the USA at peak hours (MB=$profit)
if you read their codec blogs, they discuss how they have identify the important parts of scenes (seems to be faces principally) and encode them better than other parts of the images.

I was reading today that digital copies of Blade Runner 2049 will start to appear in the next week or so for pre-order, i don't think it will be available digitally until at least December.

Back
Top Bottom