*** 4K Player Thread ***

Associate
Watched Dunkirk the other night and its an absolute masterpiece. Really great how the story line all clicks together (although a second viewing does help) and the picture quality is superb. Just wish more films were filmed in IMAX, the black bars I know add a "cinema" feel but I prefer looking at a fuller picture.

no no no no Imax is a nightmare on my screen (the one behind the Tv that is )

KqlybQN.jpg

Soldato
no no no no Imax is a nightmare on my screen (the one behind the Tv that is]
I'm curious, what is the rationale for the smaller screen in your pic ? use in high ambiant light / hdr / bulb life / non-imax (... guilty of not checking your gear posting threads)

Associate
I'm curious, what is the rationale for the smaller screen in your pic ? use in high ambiant light / hdr / bulb life / non-imax (... guilty of not checking your gear posting threads)

xbox , its on a remote lift so goes back into the "stage" when not needed :) i have no ambient light as its a dedicated room

Associate
Could this be partly due to the fact that UHD discs are region free as I have 3 or 4 non UK release discs and intend to buy more when available.

@varkanoid hi, are there any decent sites that I (in the UK) can use to get US UHD imports? my googlefu isn't very good, every site I call up only sells the UK versions (I'm thinking for times that the US edit has a better cut or more extras etc)

Associate
Anyone recommend a decent HDMI cable for using with a 4k blu ray player - looked on a number of sites (including OC) and the descriptions give mostly conflicting advice around if its a 2.0 or 1.4 cable.

Man of Honour
There’s no such thing as a 2.0 or 1.4 HDMI cable. Just make sure you get a high speed cable, which the majority of cables out today will be.

Amazon do them under their Basics range and you can see my thread about them on here where a few members recommended them to me earlier, support 4K/60, HDR, Dolby Vision etc

Soldato
Anyone recommend a decent HDMI cable for using with a 4k blu ray player - looked on a number of sites (including OC) and the descriptions give mostly conflicting advice around if its a 2.0 or 1.4 cable.

I ordered this, I’m happy with it.

HDMI Cable 2M - HDMI 2.0 (4K) Ready - 28AWG Braided Cord - High Speed 18Gbps - Gold Plated Connectors - Ethernet, Audio Return - Video 4K 2160p, HD 1080p, 3D - Xbox PlayStation PS3 PS4 PC Apple TV https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uu5wAbXW97JEP

Soldato
Had not realised this

2018 would have been more interesting if they're broadcasting at least some of the Winter Olympics in 4K and HDR. Same with the World Cup.

is there 4k+sdr ?
I don't see why either netflix or amazon don't get into this game, or does something under olympic/fifa rules preclude it;
whether 15Mb/s 4k streaming would not do justice to action sports though, compared to Sky's 30Mb/s (is it) satellite feed.

Associate
Having worked my way through this thread. Can I ask is it as straightforward that if a 4k disc was remastered from a 2k original then there''s no great increase in quality from buying the Bluray?

Back
Top Bottom