• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 XT Owners Thread

Associate
If you are inside DSR period then you can reject it, but OCUK may do a restocking fee. Or you could try an RMA but the fact coil whine is reduced with an FPS cap is normal on most GPU and would not be seen as a fault.

In 20+ years I have never had a GPU regardless of perceived quality/price that did not have some coil whine with uncapped FPS. Some are worse than others to be fair, but they all had it and only the really bad ones can be heard over normal fan noise.
£699 with delivery is big jump in price. Sux that this will be the new norm

We previously got a great deal with the card drops for gamers; most of the retailers have put the prices around this range. They were slightly lower upon release or slightly after now they are there ...

Soldato
That 6700xt fighter is turning out to be a good little card for the money when compared to other cards with those very over the top coolers which really do not make much difference on 6700xt Gpu die`s when it comes to FPS and when you look at pricing you are paying £200 or more just for the coolers.

I think it is too. I paid £458.31 for my Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 back in June 2018. Just shy of 3 years nearly, and I've grabbed a 6700XT for £449.99 (sold my Vega 64 to a family member for £200). So in reality I've grabbed a 6700XT which is performing really well (I was shocked at how small it was compared to the Vega 64) for just £249.99. :)

GPUSize1.jpg

GPUSize2.jpg

Soldato
Yea I am very pleased with my 6700XT Fighter, it's small, quiet ...at idle it's silent as it has a zero fan mode and it doesn't run too warm at all, the warmest I have seen it get is 72c and I was abusing it quite badly (ooerr) at the time, generally it seems to sit in the mid to high 60s while actually gaming and seems to float around 50-52c at idle with the fans off.

It's a bit faster than my 1080Ti, definitely not a revolution of speed for me by comparison (any slower 10 series card will get utterly nobbled by it though) but it is faster and consistently so, it just varies from as little as about 10% to as much as 25% depending on what I throw at it, plus it can do HDMI 2.1, it 'can' do hardware raytracing although not terribly well it has to be said but SoTR is playable at 1440p with it on and set to Ultra with ray tracing shadows at medium, but it does knock average framerate down from 115 to 45 so it's quite a hit indeed, it is 'ok' for the type of game it is though to be honest.

A lot of the older stuff I play I haven't noticed a difference as the 1080Ti wasn't stretched anyway and I always try and cap my framerate to 144fps if I can, stops tearing and stops the GPU working so hard when it really doesn't need to and both cards are more than capable of rendering at more that 144fps with a lot of stuff I play anyway.

I just bought Horizon Zero Dawn, I haven't played it yet, just downloaded it overnight so I will try it after work today, from the numbers I was looking at over recent months this is one of the games I expect a bigger difference in, in favour of the 6700XT. I don't know if I will bother to actually compare it to the 1080Ti myself, I am a hobbiest but I am not a reviewer nor do I provide content for others use so there isn't much point or need for me to do that. I will say this though, don't upgrade a 1080Ti to a 6700XT if all you are after is more speed, there is more of it but not enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion, for me it wasn't about the speed bump between them though it was about a couple of newer features and primarily because I had a GTX 970 in my other system that I wanted to upgrade, I wanted to do that by upgrading my main system and passing the old GPU along as I usually do, I really wanted a 3080 or secondarily 6800XT to be honest but there is just no sign of those so I jumped on this while I had the chance and I am glad I did. Obviously the really big upgrade is actually felt in my second system by moving my 4 year old 1080Ti to it, from a GTX 970 to a 1080Ti is an absolute quantum leap in performance, it's hilariously faster tbh but the move from the 1080Ti to the 6700XT in my main system is more subtle, it's quicker and quieter and cooler and 'nicer' to have in the system in my opinion but it isn't the hilarious giggle inducing shot of speed I 'wanted' ...I just can't buy that right now sadly, for any sane amount of money.

End of the day, it's a very capable 1440P card no doubt about it, I somehow doubt it will hold up like the 1080Ti has though 4 years down the line but then again it's not really the same class of card, for a true class comparison that might hold aswell 4 years from now we are going to want a 3080Ti I think, the 3080 wont get it done with 10GB of VRAM imo.

Associate
I think it is too. I paid £458.31 for my Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 back in June 2018. Just shy of 3 years nearly, and I've grabbed a 6700XT for £449.99 (sold my Vega 64 to a family member for £200). So in reality I've grabbed a 6700XT which is performing really well (I was shocked at how small it was compared to the Vega 64) for just £249.99. :)

GPUSize1.jpg

GPUSize2.jpg

The Size difference is immense , but it is also a 2 fan card so i would think its maybe one of the smallest 6700xt`s ?

Associate
I really hope you guys can help me.

my 6700XT arrived today, Sapphire Nitro+. Installed it this morning and tested it a bit at lunchtime didn’t notice anything. Fired Valheim up after work and out of nowhere the coil whine begins. Worst part is I’m upgrading from a 5700XT which had the same issue and it was my biggest gripe with the card, bigger than it driver crashing all the time.

Tried CoD too same whine. The strange part is the second I closed Valheim it stopped, the very millisecond I hit X it just disappeared. Same on CoD, if I tabbed out it would stop instantly and tab back it would start again.

Do I need to RMA this? I feel so unlucky having two cards in a row do it from the off. I’m running it at 144Hz 1440p if that helps at all.

I think I’ve tried frame limiting as I hit some switch in Radeon software that seemed to do that but it didn’t help really. It’s loud enough that it dissuades me from playing PC games at all and I’ve bought the last few on the Xbox instead (cause my 5700XT had the same issue).

Would it go away with time?

Associate
honestly it could be your PSU, i would if possible try the GPU on another system to rule that option out.

I’m thinking it might be. I’ve got a Corsair RM750x which is less than 6 months old but it’s happened with both cards. Might try a new one of those before RMA’ing it.

Associate
I’m thinking it might be. I’ve got a Corsair RM750x which is less than 6 months old but it’s happened with both cards. Might try a new one of those before RMA’ing it.

I have the same Card and PSU and have not noticed any whine , can you try the card in another pc ? or try another psu ?

Associate
I have the same Card and PSU and have not noticed any whine , can you try the card in another pc ? or try another psu ?

I’ve completely lost the plot with it mate. I only have one PC so don’t have another to test it in but I’ve just bought an EVGA Supernova 850 GA (850W) for delivery tomorrow. Way I see it, if it does it with both PSUs the card is getting RMA’d, if the EVGA fixes it then I’ve upgraded my system by 100W so I can rationalise it.

Best decision I think I can make given the circumstances to fix it. I originally committed the cardinal sin of buying this PC as a prebuilt due to parts shortages late last year, and the only part left from what I started with is the Ryzen 9 3900 (not the X because as I’ve learned, there’s a system integrators edition that uses less power, never again am I making the prebuild mistake).

Associate

I thought one of my cards had coil whine and tried different methods to fix it but none work...
At last when I put my ear next to the card, then I realised that annoying sound actually came from the PSU
Changed it and then sorted!

Associate
Mine has coil whine, coming from a 1660ti I honestly thought a cat was trapped inside my case - it does go away when warm though, with headphones on I can't even notice it.

Associate
Might not help or be feasible given monitor or usage but have you tried FRTC under the advanced options and set it to max framerate of your monitor ?

This is something I used on my vega 56 initially and that stopped the whine although after some use it disappeared on its own.

Associate
Might not help or be feasible given monitor or usage but have you tried FRTC under the advanced options and set it to max framerate of your monitor ?

This is something I used on my vega 56 initially and that stopped the whine although after some use it disappeared on its own.

I can’t remember what the setting is called in Radeon software but I did turn one on that was supposed to ensure that the frame rate never rises above 144Hz which is what my monitor goes up to. Whine was still there annoyingly.

Now that you mention it, I’m giving my 5700XT to a mate as I don’t feel comfortable selling it giving the issues I’ve had with it. I’d let him know my issues with coil whine on that card previously but realised when we were talking about it that I hadn’t actually heard the whine on that for a while. Maybe I just need to bed this one in a bit.

I had read somewhere that some GPU/PSU pairings can cause whine as opposed to the PSU itself whining, so this EVGA 850W today might help and I’ll update the thread if that works.

This might be a daft question, but I’m thinking of keeping all the PSU cables in place and just switching them all over at the PSU end when the new one arrives. Are there any downsides to doing that?

Back
Top Bottom