• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Holding these copper sinks up to the ones ive already got on there, im not sure how much, if any, difference these will make. I will try anyway though as ill just swap it back if it doesn't work out.

EExMoAJ.jpg.png

Caporegime
OP
That's what im thinking tommy. Well ive taken the vrm heatsinks off. Man, g1 everywhere on the pcb. This is gonna take some cleaning up. The downside of g1 i guess. I have to say i did a sterling job, the heatsinks were stuck pretty firmly to the vrms.

That is a spare set, i ordered them from HK as last time i did this i improvised with akasa tape. :D

I haven't touched them yet. Though i might have to neck them both quickly to help clear up the g1. This is where im at so far. Gonna try a hair drier to warm the g1 up so i can get it out of those nooks and crannies easier.

HeiEdam.jpg

That will be my next port of call Pete.

Caporegime
OP
houston we have a problem!

i don't have enough, need two more for the vrm on the left!! Will have to use some akasa tape and stick a accelero sink on that one for now.

Caporegime
OP
The insulation should mean it's ok. Why didn't you just use the smaller one you had on there before?
Also, it looks lopsided or have you not stuck it down yet?

Well because that small one was pathetic. :p

I could use the longer version of the thin one. However i managed to get that L shaped one in and seeing as it has more surface area i thought it would cool better.

It does look lob sided but its sitting in there comfortably held down by akasa tape.

Caporegime
OP
Bloomin eck...

It's close, if they come into contact, push the fins a bit to the side and they can slot together, they are very easy to move matt.

I'm gonna have to do that i think Tommy. Its too close. I'll take it apart and try bending the fins a bit. Damn good thinking tommy. Wish you were here with your dremel tbh. :D

Won't i short the card if they touch?

Caporegime
OP
Sorry. I was just asking Tommy if it was safe for them to be touching the main heatsink, but since you'd already asked... :)

Ahh roger that soldier. Well i was under the impression its not safe and would short the card. But i don't know for sure. If it won't then i don't really need to bend the fins. I have to say though i just tried on one and they do bend really easily.

Caporegime
OP
The AC heatsink literally holds my chunky Alpenfohn heatsink firmly in place on my DD, I don't think it would stay on otherwise it's that heavy-without using glue.

It's not pushing down on the heatsink onto the vrms though, my guestimation/hand/eye/dremel job resulted in a perfect fit.

:D

Well im not going to take any risks so ill bench the fins out of the way.

Caporegime
OP
Here are the results.

Using G1 + AC Sinks

baDilhS.jpg

Using the Copper Sinks +L Shaped AC Sink on VRm left

a42Z76H.jpg.png

VRM seems identical. Everything else is better. I think i might improve vrm if i put a whole line of akasa tape over the vrms instead of those little squares. Also one of the vrm sinks didn't stick very well and fell off a few times but its on at the moment. Might take it apart and use akasa tape.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom