• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
yeah couldnt find the same card

i think ill wait now and look around for a thick copper heatsink that spans all three rows of chips and cool the lot in one,will be better than lots of small aluminium heatsinks,ill need to measure it up

Yeah im not sure if they're vrm's or not. Do you have one vrm on the left hand side like on the 7970 reference pcb?

Caporegime
OP
yep your right,two of those four chips have Ra22 printed on them same as the two rows of vrm chips at the other end of the board

the two remaining have Ra38 printed on them same as the third row of chips on the right of the board

so im guessing the Ra38 ones arnt vrm chips but ill probably cover them if i can anyway

Yeah it won't hurt. Maybe you should buy the Peter heatsinsk as well so you can cover all the chips. Either that or buy a spare set of accelero sinks.

Caporegime
OP
heres a good candidate,15mm wide 92mm long covers all the chips in one go,just have to cut the tops off at the right height

a0flx.jpg

I'd make it no taller than 10mm so you don't have clearance issues. As you know those 12mm sinks were too close.

Caporegime
OP
Looks good Matt :D Do you know why the wattage was different? Seems odd.

Any chance of a pic of the overall card with the best setup of sinks for me to follow? Unless you've already posted one....... I'm still half asleep :p

Having now tested every possible Accelero heatsink setup, this is the best possible placement to keep vrm temps low. I highly recommend using arctic's permanent adhesive (the new glue that comes with accelero's as it should come off with some effort) on the vrm's. Keep tape/G1 for the vram chips.

i2KVRaE.jpg.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Anyhoo, good stuff Matt. I've only been telling you to use thermal glue for what seems like forever :p

Btw, got a spare enzo sink? I may require one :D

Yeah i wonder if the peter stuff is the same as the accelro uses, it looks identical. Provides a really good fit. Delighted with my new vrm temps.

Yeah if you need one drop me a trust. ;)

Caporegime
OP
Well chaps, I've sold my babies to a fellow forum member.(seekdestroy) :)

It's been a pleasure but now I've returned to the green side

You will be missed Scotty. You were the 'Good Guy' of the AMD'ers.

Have a shower first to get rid of the smell and then we welcome you back with open arms :)

(Use Vim in the shower and plenty of disinfectant(maybe better to have two showers))

We are like hair. We get cleaner the less we wash, right lads?

im sure the 8k series will lure you back to the red team:p I heard they kick titans butt

That's what 8pack says. Knowing AMD it will be priced around £300-£450 as well so can *hopefully* expect a nice saving compared to a £850-£1000 titan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hi I've a Accelero coming to me tomorrow for my 7970
I've had a good read of the installation instructions one thing that
Doesn't seem clear is the location of the insulation tape there seems to be 5 or so strips
But as there clear I can't really see where they go on the pictures I've looked at and how many strips to put on.
Also would the ever so helpful LtMatt (or anyone else) be able to post a picture of the fan curve you use for the Accelero.

I marked on this picture where the insulation strips go. As for the fan curve just use 100% as the accelero is so quiet.

fYfKllr.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Google is your friend, search for accelero and click shopping.

Also, I tried that Gelid GC Extreme that Matt and Uncle Petey were talking about, and no word of a lie, my idle temp has dropped 10c! Absolutely brilliant stuff, not the most simple of pastes to put on, I didn't think I would need to use the spatula (yes I know it comes with it for a reason) but it's pretty nice stuff to work with. I'd recommend it to anyone, and Arctic silver can take a backseat. :D

Yeah its good stuff. Got it on my cpu and gpu now.I tried using the spatula but the GC extreme just doesn't spread at all. I'm not even sure why they included it but anyway its great paste. Beat my mx2+4 by a few c.

Caporegime
OP
I found I had to spread it quite hard with the spatula quite flat as the edge just scrapes it off. :mad:

Yes i suppose that might work. I did try but i didn't have much luck so in the end just put a small blob in the middle of the cpu+gpu.

10c difference is quite a lot for just changing paste. You sure the previous mount and/or application were done right?

Are load temps down by the same amount?

Oh, and yeah, that spatula just made things worse :D

It does seem rather high.

Caporegime
OP
Nope, I made sure everything was all secured properly the first time, tried it finger tight and then fully tight and found that fully tight worked better. I did the same this time around so I don't know what could be different?

I did also think that it was a bit extreme for just changing tim, but hey, I'm not complaining!

Just noticed you have a H100i. Being a H80i owner i know how annoying that back plate can be. I'm guessing you got a much better mount the second time.

Caporegime
OP
be9ab7cf6963430934f51405529a80f0.jpg

If you take that bit off, and just mount the cooler with the screws, you get a better core contact matt, well i did anyway, tried it a few times on and off and the results pointed to leave it off.

I think the bracket isn't needed matt as I have a launch 6950 still going strong as an oxx that I put into in my in laws PC using an Extreme, they never used to come with the support bracket back in the day.

Hmmm interesting. Just when i thought i was out of the game for good, something drags me back in. :eek: :( :D

I suppose it means the fins are closer to the vrms as well?

What about that black foam bit?

Back
Top Bottom