• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
I tried the long strip method but its not as effective as i hoped. Plus its hard to ensure you're placing the sink exactly on the vrm. So i ended up scrapping that half way through. This time i carefully cut out squares, some slightly larger some slightly smaller for the vrm's and placed all the sinks on there. Knocked 1c off the temps. The akasa tape is really good, its won me over. Who needs G1.

iUDffWT.jpg

Caporegime
OP
I wondered what took you so long :)
Like I said mate, if that tape can hold the monster Alpenfohn sink...

Btw, is your new lower core temp due to Gelid GC and are you happy now?

I'm happy.

Core temps are lower, yes probably because of Gelid. I think the L shaped sink has made a big difference. I'm seeing much less artifacts when overclocked heavily and vrm temps rise. I would definitely recommend copying my setup and using those cooper heatsinks on the vrms and putting a chunky sink on the left vrm.

Gonna re-download farcry 3 now.

Caporegime
OP
can we have a pic/diagram to know exactly what youve done plz? :)

See the last page.

So, not tempted anymore?

trollface.jpeg

Tempted but will they be any better than the copper sinks? I suppose i could use the dram chips. I've spent all day messing about with and amazingly its still working. I might yet fiddle again, but not for a few days.

Caporegime
OP
The problem with the g1 is its a pain to clear off the pcb. When and if you have to rma it will take a hell of a long time to clean up. At least with tape its quick and easy. Well thank god i don't have to keep desperately trying to source g1. That alone has ages me 10 years in a few months.

Caporegime
OP
Okey dokes.
Expect a full on reference vs German beef comparison in the near future in addition to the long awaited Peter vs Accelero showdown.

Tickets are available via trust. Book early to avoid disappointment.

I want front row seats and tommy asked if we will be signing autographs at the end.

Ok, well as soon as I get it and confirm it is actually g1 I'll trust you for your address.

Don't worry about covering costs either.

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
Well ive had chance to do some testing on farcry and temps are sadly worse. I decided to try again with the stock accelero heatsinks + akasa tape and temps were slightly worse than with the copper. Disappointing. The quest continues.

Caporegime
OP
Right lads. Phew what a day yesterday. Disgruntled i trundled off to bed and watched a double bill of emmerdale and thought things through, like any man would. Dreamt all night about gpu coolers, paste, heatsinks and annoyingly that bloody arnie picture that pete posted a page back. Anyway i digress...

Woke up this morning after a nights kip and decided to go all john major and go 'back to basics'.

I took off all the tape, i took off all the sinks. (tape+sinsk on the vrms only) I then brought out the permanent adhesive that arctic sent me. It was the only thing left to try. The tape might be good but temps were clearly worse than g1. In the region of 5-10c.

I put a thin line of adhesive on each of the sinks and placed them on and held for 20 seconds. I used one L shaped sink on the left vrm. 3 L shaped sinks on the right vrm's + 1 long thin sink. All stock accelero sinks. I then bent some fins in order to basically make two big fins stretched out to improve airflow to the vrms.

Results - G1 + AC Sinks

baDilhS.jpg

G1+Copper Sinks+AC Sinks

a42Z76H.jpg.png

Arctic Permanent Adhesive + AC Sinks

qIIx912.jpg

Notice the wattage produced during that final run, higher than on my two previous attempts and still the temps were lower.

Farcry 3 GPU Overclocked 1172/1563 @1.138 voltage.

G1 + AC Sinks - 74-76c

G1+Copper Sinks+AC Sinks - 85+c

Arctic Adhesive + AC Sinks 67c

The tape and G1 are poor in comparison to the permanent adhesive. I think it will be possible to get it off, you'll just need a razor blade and a bit of patience. I would advise people to play it safe and avoid putting it on the VRAM chips, use tape or G1 for that. But use the permanent adhesive on the sinks to place firmly on the vrms. The difference blew me away this morning. I don't plan on fiddling any more now. At least until my card breaks and i need to try and RMA it. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Matt,

You where born to fiddle, you enjoy fiddling - long may you to continue fiddling :D

I've got the convictions to prove it as well. :p

Happy with those results scotty. Think ive taken her as far as she'll go now. That's me officially retired from fiddling until i need to RMA or the 8970 comes out.

Disclaimer
This may or may not be true but this is my current story and im sticking to it.

Back
Top Bottom