• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Hey guys, i also have the Accelero 7970 and the joys and pains that come with owning one.

Quick question, why can't you let VRM sinks touch the main GPU heatsink? I don't think it can short out anything because the GPU isn't conductive and the only thing touching the GPU heatsink is the GPU.

If i had a dremel i'd do what tommy did in a heartbeat but unfortunately i don't have anything that can cut my cooler the cleanly. I wonder though, if either my kitchen scissors (they are beastly), nail cutters can do it.

(I live in Canada btw)

Anyone try a Mass email to arctic to get them to fix this? Like awhole bunch of us spam them for their crabby vrm sinks.

Glad to see you decided to sign up. :)

I don't know exactly if you can or not, but if not then how do all these people short their cards? Maybe you can providing you have the tape in place. Not sure really, but better to be safe than sorry.

Caporegime
OP
what clocks do you run 24/7 matt on your card? same as in sig?

It varies depending on the game i play.

1133/1563 - L4D2/Fifa13
1172/1563 - Black op22/Dirt Showdown
1200/1719 - Battlefield 3/Farcry 3/Tomb Raider

I have room to go faster if needed. However my card is being held back. Its probably capable of 1375 or higher under water. Maximum i will run 24/7 with this cooling would be 1250 probably.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Things'll change when you get Crysis 3 mate. Trust me :)
It runs the VRM's a little hotter than Sleeping dogs extreme and can turn what was a stable OC into a no go. Though you can usually dial it back 10mhz or so and perhaps tweak the voltage.

I just won't believe its hotter than sleeping dogs Pete. SSAA high on sleeping dogs heats my vrm's up more than extreme because of the higher fps you get on high.

We'll see though, i will end up getting Crysis 3 at some point.

Caporegime
OP
That reminds me Petey i can run my memory up to 1719 on stock voltage. I thought things had changed regarding that but they haven't. I can probably go a little higher but i think 1750 is as far as i can go roughly with the memory at stock voltage.

Caporegime
OP
I only played Crysis 2 on xbox and got bored out of my mind. Never finished it.
After playing this though, I'm half tempted to pick up pt2 and have a butchers at high res mods and stuff.
And then there's the sandbox editor... Love that kinda stuff.

I still have the first one, never finished the first level. I've decided that if im gonna get Crysis 3 i have to complete the first one and buy and complete the second one first.

Caporegime
OP
What does it need for 1900?
With mine, 1800-1900 on stock, depending on the application. 1.619v does 1900 on everything afaik.
Haven't made much of an effort to get it any further, but I'm not sure it wants to tbh.

1823 = 350Gb of bandwidth. Diminishing returns beyond 1823 i found. I used to need around 1.625v for that. I bench as high as 1875 but have not pushed it any further. 24/7 though i like to leave the memory at stock voltage so tend to keep it 1719 or lower.

Caporegime
OP
What was the highest clocks you could achieve before fitting one of these coolers fella?

1225 core on the stock cooler. 1340 is the max i can bench at now. 1325 is probably the maximum i can get 24/7 stable. The vrm's would get hot though so to keep them safe 1275 is probably my safest maximum for now. I may well end up fiddling again soon. With the help of tommys dremel i might add one of these to the vrm section.

aVlf67Y.gif

Caporegime
OP
Thanks matt,

Yikes sleeping dogs makes my card toasty -

hightemp.jpg

The only reason my temp is low in this pic is because the bench ends quickly, playing the game with Extreme AA pushes the VRM 1 into the high 90s sometimes even 100+! In crysis 3 it gets to 90c, BF3 80c but this game is one whole other level.

I bought this heatsink, it's still in shipping but this is what i hope to do

modkk.jpg

Basically bend the fins sideways so i can get enough clearance for it to fit under the accelero. If that doesn't work then i'll have to improvise. My VRM temps are pretty bad now, they only get better right :p

Is your cards stock voltage 1.112? I believe our graphics cards might well be brothers. Mine requires identical voltage at that clock. :eek:

Caporegime
OP
I never got around to using it mate. I'm happy to pass it back if you want it :)
I did manage to lose two of the little black washers though :o

Can i bribe you both so that you can send it to Tommy. Tommy goes to town on it with a dremel and then it ends up in my grubby mits? I promise to take good care of it. ;)

Caporegime
OP
Lol no, i just used that because that's what you used.

My stock voltage is 1.049 @ 925/1375
My everyday OC is 1.169 @1220/1600

GqeFm.gif

Ah sounds like you have a high asic card, that would explain your warm temps once you start piling on the voltage. Those low leakage chips (mine included) don't half get hot when the volts come rolling in.

Caporegime
OP
Matt, £13 dremel nock off right now at your local vivaldis, misc bits tool box £5 that gets you started too.
D

Sorry Tommy missed your post last night. What's vivaldis? Never heard of it but sounds like a poor man's aldi. I'd probably end up cutting off my own arm if i attempted to use a dremel. :D

Niiiiice ;)

Might get one for a bit of a fiddle.

That's what she said.

Caporegime
OP
26847a4217c0699aade2c79c5f9f39cb.jpg

Oy yoy yoy.:eek:

Can't believe I just did that, oh well, if the cooler is as good as the other one(silent in my rig on the desktop), since I'm not after maximum clocks, the AC might have no where to go.:eek:

If that's so, look out lads for my modified AC Extreme/chunky Alpenfohn vrm heat tamer in the mm going up for grabs along with the rest of the Alpenfohn heatsinks-won't be sold off cheap just to get rid however, their both hard to get most of the time, not to mention the mod took precision skill to achieve.;) :p

I'm not going to add to the cost price or anything, it just won't be much cheaper than new-Moogley got almost full purchase price for his used stock AC, failing that, it will be kept for the next round of gpu's.:)

Tommy ill take the Meaty Peter huge vrm sink off you. Name the price. ;)

If i can just fit it easily with glue without modding then i want it.

Caporegime
OP
You not been to bed yet bud or is just the fiddling urge clouding you thoughts?:p

The AC needs the modded fin cut out job for the well hung petey vrm sink to fit.:)

If I do say so myself, I imagine tim will suffice as the job was that precise(aye right, called pure luck tommy), the AC heatsink fins hold it firmly in place anyway.

I call it fiddlers brain. Thanks for reminding me. :o

Caporegime
OP
l33th3tr33 Thanks for the offer but im sticking to the permanent adhesive as its possible to get it off but it provides a much firmer hold than G1. I'm over my G1 addiction. I did my time at G1 anonymous.

Anyway...

The notorious fiddler returns for a one off special. Staring myself as the fiddler and a small (that's what she said) cameo featuring Uncle Pete's Peter heat sinks. When Pete gave me these heatsinks he said he likes his heatsinks how he likes his men+coffee, strong and black. :eek:

Coming soon to a forum near you... VRM TEMPS OMGWTFBBQ!!

Teaser

h1Psc1v.jpg

Back
Top Bottom