• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Looks good wazz.

I think i have a hot card sadly but it makes up for it with it willingness to overclock a long way. I don't think it helps that ive bent and damaged some of my fins either. Its why im looking at getting an Accelero Hybrid, if i can find one. :p

I find it strange that your VRM chips read identical temps, in both tests as well. I wonder if you're lacking proper temp monitoring for either the vram or the vrm. The vrms should run much hotter than the dram chips.

Caporegime
OP
idk,i have seen them at different temps in games

is that the watercooled one? think ive seen them around,i need to start using afterburner its the only program that lets you alter the memory voltage,1500mhz is my limit with stock v

Yes im having trouble finding the 7970 version. Can find the other version which fits every gpu but the 7970 all over the place.

Caporegime
OP
Also looked at getting the hybrid but it seems a bit overpriced, probably because there aren't too many closed loop gpu coolers on the market.
Friend of mine is gonna customize himself one from a kuhler, there are
people selling brackets on overclock.net to fit cpu coolers onto gpu and stick a fan etc...

Yes i saw that. I'd be interested to know how that goes so keep me updated please. I think i want the proper thing though, if i can find one.

Caporegime
OP
Matt I know you want from the UK but why not from Arctic themselves, comes from Germany from I think

Comes from Hong Kong and costs 222 dollars from arctic and it also says not available when you get to the checkout. :(

I've sent them an email will see what they say. This is like my infamous G1 search quest all over again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
By the looks of it matt they give you the same heat sink kit. So it probably won't help vrm cooling

I think it will, but by how much is the question. From reviews ive seen it was on par with the 7970 reference vrm cooling which was pretty good actually. I think its because there's no heatsink fins in the way and the fan sits right on top of the vrms this time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just a quick update...

I've been in touch with Jens at Arctic and he said

y4loMiP.jpg.png

To which i said

PVnBct9.jpg.png

Immediately after pressing send i regretted laying my cards so bluntly on the line to Jens. Thankfully he took it in good spirit and didn't get a restraining order placed on me.

54LVaS3.jpg

A few more mails continued and he forwarded me on to some potentially strange man called Cedric from their American department and he is going to see if they can sell me one directly.

If i manage to get my hands on one of these, i will be pretty much the only man with one in the UK. That alone makes me want it even more than i did originally. :p

P.S Don't even attempt to talk me round from buying it, you'll just be wasting your time. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Its looking good, Jens says they are checking the shipping costs and will come back to me soon. Cedric my main man delivering the goods, literally in this case.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Matt, when you get your new cooler and your going to take off your accelero - can you make us that video about installing the accelero properly? :)

Yeah, either that or ill take loads of pics. I'm thinking about giving my pcb a bloody good clean as it has a fair bit of the adhesive on it and its a bit of a pain to get it off. You have to pour lighter fluid on the adhesive and the pcb to loosen it. Done it a few times though now and it works well, just takes some time. The good thing about lighter fluid is it evaporates quickly so within a couple of hours you can use the gpu again.

Caporegime
OP
why don't you just go water cooled Matt? All this mucking about with different heatsinks - just go water and know there's nothing better out there...until the 8970

or just go crossfire in june when the fancy drivers come out. Either way you'll get more performance than the extra 30mhz you'll get out of your 7970.

Or maybe you could sell your 7970 to 8pack - it's a known awesome clocker - and he could win some records with it with some LN2...

Next rig built from the ground up will be water cooling, not this one.

Haha i can't see him wanting to buy it. :D

Caporegime
OP
I won't be doing things in half measures. If im going to the effort of it, it has to be done properly with proper colour co-ordination from the start and my parts will have to careful picking individually to match the colour scheme i plan. That's for my next rig not this one.

I don't want the hassle of it right now, i just want to game and clock my parts hard. (that's what she said)

water cooling needs a lot of maintainance though,with air you can fit it and forget it

That. ^^

I'm also fed up of fiddling, with what i have planned i shouldn't have to fiddle ever again once ive got things setup properly. Its slowly coming together, i hope to have all my relevant parts by the end of next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom