7th Annual BOINC Pentathlon: 5th - 19th June 2016

PDW

PDW

Associate
There seems to be a bigger choice of work available for GPU work than I remember, any idea which is best for the challenge ?

Soldato
OP
I'm testing it now, I have had only one GNF 15 wu validate, and my 290 was twice as slow as a 750ti :( so it seems to favour Nvidia cards. I am trying PPS sieve to see how that performs. Probably best to uncheck the really long work units.

Associate
Well thats a new 1 for me, lets see how it goes, im dying to change my 780s for a 1080 BUT wont be soon :( , if anybody wants a pair of asus poseidons lemie know lol

EDIT: if anybody knows Geoff ? let him know as hes Team 10 number 1 but his 2 pcs arent running atm

Last edited:
Associate
So server for csg STILL not running, looks like its gona be a crap start to the competition unless theres a miracle today lol

EDIT: well just after posting this and on the sg site it seems i have a few csg wu`s running lol happy days

EDIT EDIT : spoke too soon, did 5 wu`s and no more got :(

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Well thats a new 1 for me, lets see how it goes, im dying to change my 780s for a 1080 BUT wont be soon :( , if anybody wants a pair of asus poseidons lemie know lol

EDIT: if anybody knows Geoff ? let him know as hes Team 10 number 1 but his 2 pcs arent running atm

Yes, he usually puts out good numbers regularly but looking at his stats he's been a bit up and down and almost a week since his last update.

Soldato
OP
Well the start turned out to be a damp squid. I made the suggestion of changing the marathon to pogs and then choose another city run, this was countered with the suggestion that pogs may not have enough work for two weeks, so let's stick with a project that has no work at all :rolleyes: Also it was claimed that it was unlikely not to have any work for 2 weeks, but CSG has been dry for longer periods than that this year, and unreassuringly there is no mention of new work or acknowledgement of the pentathlon at the CSG site.

Anyway, roll on tonight with pogs :)

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I think once they have announced a project for a discipline, you can't change the discipline. All those who were preparing for it in some way are working to the announced timetable.

But it shows that if you are going to organise challenges like this then you need to communicate with the project itself. Are they ready for it? Do they have planned outages? Last year's Pogs challenge thing was welcomed by the project, even though they had fun trying to keep up with all the teams releasing ever more crunchers. A project essentially run on a shoestring one man band like CSG will inevitably struggle.

Associate
Yeah... I warned SG early on and pointed out the flaws in the options they presented. They did a little blowing off and reassured that if the project wasn't ready by press time, that they could switch to the next runner up. Doesn't look like they followed through on that. I also questioned whether they were in talks with admins and they said they were. I've had a bit of experience dealing with admins on small challenges and many projects just can't handle it reliably. They really need to re-assess whether projects can be part of the challenge 2 years in a row...

MGP

MGP

Soldato
So on perhaps the warmest day of the year so far, It's no longer comfortable in my office, or at home, with all this hardware going at it hammer and tongs. One day these challenges will be run mid winter when that energy use would offset heating bill, rather than needing to wheel out the aircon.

Associate
Im lucky as my room faces north ish , and gets no sun during the day so its not too bad tho i agree winter would be a better time to run it, Anybody got a nice cold cellar ? Think Colin has 1 in the loft? , must be toasty up there now

PDW

PDW

Associate
Just find your sunglasses, put a towel down and get a cold drink :p

At least it looks like we don't have to worry about the Raccoon Lovers as they haven't got out of bed to put a single point on the board yet :D

Also, down to 10th in Pogs but catching back up to 9th :cool:

Back
Top Bottom