• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
TechPowerUp have an explanation of what's going on in the 970:

http://www.techpowerup.com/209339/gtx-970-memory-drama-plot-thickens-nvidia-has-to-revise-specs.html

So basically using the last half GB of RAM is slower if the other 3.5GB is being accessed at the same time (and vice-versa) due to their slightly odd decision to disbale part of the L2 cache. Also Nvidia have knowingly or unknowingly published incorrect specs.

this explains why the fps drops loads and games start to stutter and my work around is to lower down the screen ress of my games to stop it using the extra 500mb of vram

I wish I'd stuck with my gut and gone EVGA, apparently they are offering customers the ability to step-up outside of the usual 90 day window.

Actually I wish I'd stayed with my EVGA 980 SC. I had zero problems with that card but got greedy and wanted more performance.

Got a link to this info? The 970 I just bought is an EVGA card.

Can someone answer the question of how many games this affects now? And does this affect games at 1920*1080 resolution, or do most games only use 3.5GB+ of VRAM above that?

In my experience.

Issues
Dying Light / 1080p SLI
Far Cry 4 / 1080p SLI
Assassin's Creed Unity / 1080p SLI
Company of Heroes 2 / 1080p

Fine
Alien Isolation / 4K / 100+ FPS SLI
Battlefield 4 / 4K / 60-100 FPS SLI
Call of Duty AW / 1080p / ~100 FPS SLI

I sincerely hope OCUK will accept refunds, especially since the senior director of customer care has explicitly stated he will personally contact the retailer on the customer's behalf. I haven't PM'ed Peter yet but will seek his help if OCUK aren't willing to play ball. If they are still reluctant then I will no longer purchase from them again and use a larger retailer instead.

mine are issues with Far Cry 4 and also csgo. they are the main games i use.

this is with all my games set to the NVidia optimised settings

this explains why the fps drops loads and games start to stutter and my work around is to lower down the screen ress of my games to stop it using the extra 500mb of vram
If what the what TechPowerUp said is correct, then the card really "realistically" only has 3.5GB of usable vram, as the 3.5GB and the remaining half GB of vram "cannot be accessed at the same time". And to make it worse...do we know how the 970 manage which part of the vram it uses in games? Would they access the 512MB part even when the 3.5GB part are not fully filled up (which would impact hugely on performance I assume)?

So all these stuttering issues people are experiencing are basically same as the stuttering we would get when our graphic cards runs out of vram in general then? That would explain why the stuttering occurs when memory usage hitting close to 3.5GB on the 970...

Last edited:
I wish I'd stuck with my gut and gone EVGA, apparently they are offering customers the ability to step-up outside of the usual 90 day window.

Actually I wish I'd stayed with my EVGA 980 SC. I had zero problems with that card but got greedy and wanted more performance.

Have you got a link for that at all - could be tempted!

Dying light on my 970 with 4770k stutters and drops under 30fps at 1080p max settings. On my 980m laptop it is smoother and rarely drops under 40fps. The 980M indicates up to 4Gb V-ram usage. The 970 does not go above 3.6gb indicated.

The desktop 970 should perform as well as the 980M if not better. Something is not right with the 970 tbh...

Should perform a fair bit better as the 980m was an SMM short of being a 970

In my experience.

Issues
Dying Light / 1080p SLI
Far Cry 4 / 1080p SLI
Assassin's Creed Unity / 1080p SLI
Company of Heroes 2 / 1080p

Fine
Alien Isolation / 4K / 100+ FPS SLI
Battlefield 4 / 4K / 60-100 FPS SLI
Call of Duty AW / 1080p / ~100 FPS SLI

Ace, thanks for that information :)

I found the EVGA Step-Up program link. Nothing about extending for the GTX 970 yet, but it's still a damn good program even if you don't have a card with an issue!

http://eu.evga.com/support/stepup/ Really glad I stuck with EVGA. My current 670 is an EVGA, and it's been really sweet. I might just use the 970 for now, and if I have issues within the 90 days, I'll make the jump.

I'd prefer to step up to 980 and take a hit on the difference but MSI don't have that same Step-Up program...

I'm going to wait a few days and then it's going to get nasty :)

Same here... credit card company have told me to see what happens but if ocuk wont play ball they will initiate a chargeback... that should get some reaction i suspect. Funny thing is the lad at the credit card place said he had several others asking the same thing!!

Last edited:
NVidia have released a new SLi profile for Dying Light, which apparently limits VRAM usage to 3.5GB and makes it a smoother experience. Maybe worth a shot for those experiencing issues with this game.

NVidia have released a new SLi profile for Dying Light, which apparently limits VRAM usage to 3.5GB and makes it a smoother experience. Maybe worth a shot for those experiencing issues with this game.

That's abit dodgy , great for those wanting to run the game but that's basicly saying yeah the last 500mb is unusable . Contrary to what they've tried to do prove. Unless I'm missing something

You guys should drop the whole Dying Light discussion the game is probably what Witcher 3 is going to be in March.

It will kill any card you throw at it.

For playable framerates without to many dips you are going to be running all Nvidia Gameworks crap OFF and AA OFF

SLI profile is total ass , I played for a little over an hour and I thought my eyes where going to blow up.]

Here are some of my results (this will be on my website btw later today if you want to read the full benchmark)

1080p Single GTX970

Texture Quality High, Shadow Map High, Foliage High Ambient Occlusion ON the rest OFF
Min-Avg-Max
55-69-95

1440 Single GTX970

Texture Quality Med, Shadow Map Med, Foliage Med Ambient Occlusion ON the rest OFF
Min-Avg-Max
61-71-80

4K Single GTX970

Texture Quality Low, Shadow Map Low, Foliage Low Ambient Occlusion ON the rest OFF
Min-Avg-Max
37-50-60

SLI is totally **** even with the new drivers and profile if over 1080p. My eyes are still burning.

Last edited:
Same here... credit card company have told me to see what happens but if ocuk wont play ball they will initiate a chargeback... that should get some reaction i suspect.

Same here, I am going to wait a while in the hope NVidia will step up and foot the bill, but ultimatly I want my money back.

Why would they need to limit it to 3.5gb of Vram? And why 3.5gb, seems like a totally random number, I can in no way think off any reason why that would help any NVidia product out there in any way. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom