• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way NVidia could get out of this would be to say that the reviewer pack was not an official document but we all know it was.

An official document that did contain the specifications of the card probably including the ROP count. I can't prove this but I'm pretty sure someone can. Thus the reviewers (press) repeated information based upon an official document allowing people to make an informed purchase decision.

So yeah.. false trade description applies I feel.

Pretty sure NVidia lawyers are doing over time to see if they can worm out of this one.

Homeworld Remastered hmmmmm loved that game and looking forward to the remastered one.

if they get the multiplay right it could be awesome!, if they dont it will just be more pretty i guess >< i still have my copy of homeworld 2 somewhere lol

Hope it's not a credit note... Already spent a grand plus on 8gb 290x's...

Roll on tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing what dragon age like on em!

In the mean time, some of you been downright rude to nvidia Rick.

He's just a guy working for a company, so cut him some slack...

Yep, I think AMD should keep quiet or will just make them look petty.

In all fairness in years previous they'd be milking this situation, but AMD have not even mentioned this to me, they are being professional and their only concern is selling their own cards. So kudos to them and we've managed to get some good deals, particular more impressive by the fact exchange rates are so weak we've managed to get 290x to sub £250 and they managed to get us some more gold codes. :)

There really is no excuse for this and its as clear as day false advertising (albeit not OCUK fault as they can only go on what Nvidia tell them).

I have no sympathy for the bashing that any Nvidia employee receives for this as its fraud, plain and simple. Nvidia clearly knew this was happening and is now in damage control. For once being in the UK has its pro's, we pay a high price but as consumers are protected from this type of activity.

If your local supermarket sold a crate labeled as a 12 pack of beer which contained only 10 beers and 2 bottles of water they would be getting a visit from the old bill as well as trading standards.

They were either trying to deceive or they have the most incompetent QA team thats ever existed.

Although OcUK are one of the better Companies out there, I don't relay like what has been said in the above post.

I posted something along the lines of this a little earlier in this Thread but i guess it got lost and I wasn't that sure if I should post it again as I feel a little bad about doing so. So, please be kind.

What I'm going to say below is open to interpretation, so please read it as is and make your own minds up.

The Card does have 4G VRAM, that is true and we are being told that it has not been miss-represented. But, NVIDIA (along with all the etailers I've checked) out there list the following Spec for that 4G of VRAM:

NVIDIA's Site : http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

GTX 970 Memory Specs:
7.0 Gbps Memory Clock
4 GB Standard Memory Config
GDDR5 Memory Interface
256-bit Memory Interface Width
224 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

From a random GTX970 on OcUK: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-010-GX

- Memory Clock: 7010MHz
- Memory Size: 4096MB GDDR5
- Memory Bus: 256-bit

Remember that anything that is advertised for Sale has to truly represent the product on Sale at that given point of time and in a simplistic way - meaning, not saying one thing but meaning another and anyone could follow the description.

So, as a layman.

The NVIDIA Spec is telling me a couple things.

1) The GTX970 has a Standard Memory Config of 4G - note the word standard (which also appears under the GTX980 Memory Specs).

2) The GTX970 has a 256 bit wide Memory Subsystem across the total of 4G.

It doesn't tell me that it has a non-standard Memory configuration as has been released by NVIDIA after the user community found out and admitted to on this very forum by a representative of NVIDIA.

If the true Specs of the Memory Subsystem where posted. It should be in simplistic terms. For Example:

1) The GTX970 has a Non-Standard Memory Config of 4G. - good, I can understand that.

2) The GTX970 has a 224 bit wide Memory Subsystem across 3.5G and 32 Bit wide subsystem on the remaining 512mb. - Good, I can understand that to (but to cover butts I'd add that accessing this memory on it's own may slow the GPU.

What we, shouldn't need to know is how the GM204 processor implementation within the GTX970 operates at all levels.

So, a little Dr Googling comes up with several Web Sites that list the do's and don't's while describing a Product for Sale.

I'll refer to this one :

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/29

and quote this:

False trade description.

(1)A false trade description is a trade description which is false to a material degree.

(2)A trade description which, though not false, is misleading, that is to say, likely to be taken for such an indication of any of the matters specified in section 2 of this Act as would be false to a material degree, shall be deemed to be a false trade description.

(3)Anything which, though not a trade description, is likely to be taken for an indication of any of those matters and, as such an indication, would be false to a material degree, shall be deemed to be a false trade description.

(4)A false indication, or anything likely to be taken as an indication which would be false, that any goods comply with a standard specified or recognised by any person or implied by the approval of any person shall be deemed to be a false trade description, if there is no such person or no standard so specified, recognised or implied

Point 2 may well apply here for anyone who would want to investigate further if between OcUK/NVIDIA do nothing.

But nothing is crystal clear, if an etailor decided to refuse it could be a battle and certainly not nice for the customer at all, even if they did win the case in the end.

My point is the etailor needs to make this simple and easy for the customer, in short amazing customer service should the customer want a refund.

We are working on a solution that gives that, amazing customer service, OcUK will make it happen and I want it done by tomorrow. :)

In benchmarks. 970 is great at them. Real life gaming performance is a stuttering mess at times or low fps/usage

Seriously absolutely rubbish, in 99% of games if gives incredible FPS and silky smooth performance. If what you say is true there would be hundreds of threads alone on this forum, there is not.

But nothing is crystal clear, if an etailor decided to refuse it could be a battle and certainly not nice for the customer at all, even if they did win the case in the end.

My point is the etailor needs to make this simple and easy for the customer, in short amazing customer service should the customer want a refund.

We are working on a solution that gives that, amazing customer service, OcUK will make it happen and I want it done by tomorrow. :)

Go get some rest and forget about us whining lot for a few hours :)

How is this going to be announced and at what time please?

I'm seriously considering sending mine back if that's an option I am really not happy about this whole situation and after a very long streak of Nvidia cards I am seriously considering either parting out my PC and getting a console or at the very least getting an AMD GPU but even at this point that's a dilemma as AMD have new cards around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom