• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to return my two 970's if the memory issues cannot be resolved. What I buy after I've no idea as yet. Have a gtx760 as backup if indeed my 970's go back. Let's hope for a fix of some sort and see what Gibbo can do.

Does anyone have any idea if nvidias driver "update" will do anything meaningful for the 970? I'm not sure if to swap out for an AMD card..

All they can do is update the heuristics which decides what type data goes in to the 0.5GB section. Perhaps they could also do some of the usual optimisations to increase performance.

But unfortunately there is no way to change the hardware. The 0.5gb will remain gimped.

Driver update *Supercache functionality added* ;)

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Looking-GTX-970-Memory-Performance

Poor excuse for not doing SLI as its very likely to exacerbate the issue as those same excuses were not a problem for him when it came to finding AMD crossfire stuttering.

In testing CoD AW he's testing a game that will fill the V-Ram at almost any settings and res, not because it needs to, but simply because it's there.

It goes up to 4GB right away at 1080P and just sits there, no stuttering even though it's seemingly on the limit, BF4 to a much more limited extent also does this.

As far as i know No One has reported problems with CoD AW or BF4, the reason is the memory it's filling is just for cache.

The problem only happens when the GPU actually needs that VRam to render, which is why it's only in some games and situations.

It looks like they are pandering to Nvidia who did the same thing with the examples they published in claiming there is only a 3% difference and smooth as always, it's almost a copy and paste :)

Last edited:
In testing CoD AW he's testing a game that will fill the V-Ram at almost any settings and res, not because it needs to, but simply because it's there.

It goes up to 4GB right away at 1080P and just sits there, no stuttering even though it's seemingly on the limit, BF4 to a much more limited extent also does this.

As far as i know No One has reported problems with CoD AW or BF4, the reason is the memory it's filling is just for cache.

The problem only happens when the GPU actually needs that VRam to render, which is why it's only in some games and situations.

It looks like they are pandering to Nvidia who did the same thing with the examples they published in claiming there is only a 3% difference and smooth as always, it's almost a copy and paste :)

Indeed, but its funny how at the end of each test he states that the 970 shows more stuttering than the 980, but then plays it down in the conclusion.
Also notice that GoldenTiger as now posted in the comments.

Did some more testing using Shadow of Mordor, SLI enabled and disabled, sub-3500mb and over 3500mb VRAM consumption. Frametimes stay within normal variation/acceptable consistence when in single-card mode regardless of VRAM, but going to over 3500mb in SLI causes wild and rampant stutters/hitches with vastly fluctuating frametimes to match.

mhOevfQ.png
Long story short, I have to agree for single-card that while it is a big false advertisement and spec change it may not have a giant practical impact (at least from what I can see so far... unless you may want to go dual-card later for example), but in SLI it is a very real and major issue.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1849838&page=21

yea white is a girlie colour, fed up with it, so it's time for either another Lian or that D-Frame.........but before this we need to sort out these cards

right i've made my mind up.........I'M KEEPING THE CARDS, they'll be ok until the 380X comes out, instead, i'm going to replace the pc case

:( But my 60 quid offer was great!! ,
Seriously though building most pcs i'd say i take like 1 hour to decide on whats going in it spec wise then 40 mins pricechecking and poof its ordered :) I'd go mad if it took me months

Neither can I but I am not comfortable buying the 970 so will need to rethink my upgrade options. Save a bit longer for the overpriced 680 or go the Amd route with the increase power and noise isdues.

For those that, for whatever reason, do not want an AMD card there is only really three options. A 980 or an older gen (but still capable) card like the 780Ti. Be it new or second hand. Or just keep the 970s which, for many people, will be perfectly fine.

They will be fine if you can accept that they aren't as fine as what you thought you paid for before knowing about the deception.

970s for £100 ill take 2 haha :)

Used market is going to be flooded with them soon. This has dropped owners really in the doo doo. Keeping them could be expensive if the plan was to sell later as they could become the tainted hot turd of a card to sell on. Looks like the sli option is pretty much dead and a mess too.

Last edited:
All this has made me realise is that I don't want to SLI this card with another later down the line.

I will be using a single 970 as a stopgap untill we actually get some 20nm cards, although I do feel sorry for those people who invested in two cards as they probably won't have the longevity expected.

Although with 4GB, or 3.5GB however you want to look at it, and the rate that VRAM usage is jumping up recently, I didn't expect the 970 to have a monsterous lifespan anyway. Especially at higher resolutions.

I am still a little annoyed at nvidia for not making it's specs 100% clear at the launch and this will affect my decision when buying my 970s successor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom