• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
have Nvidia sent out an official communication through the channel yet saying they will accept refunds back through the channel?

OCUK (Gibbo) is pushing NVidia for a fix or update by the end of today and if no update from them I think he is going to make a decision about it instead.

Even if they were £150, I don't think I would buy one, quite a few games these days are using more than 3.5GB of VRAM and it is likely that most, if not all the games coming out this year/next year will use more than 3.5GB of VRAM so there is no way I could put up with the stuttering that some people are mentioning, something that I am really sensitive to.

Don't worry I said i'm waiting for the true Maxwells ages ago and haven't changed my mind :p I'm glad this architecture has come to light because they won't pull the same stunt again. When 4k or 21:9 144hz becomes a reality and affordable and when next gen console ports are optimized then I'll be upgrading. We're not there yet imo and still probably a year or two away but I'm in no rush as there isn't any game that cries out for me to upgrade from my 670 sli for 1080p120hz gaming.

Titanfall's texture pack was some kind of joke with the VRAM requirements, Witcher 3 will be a good quantifier for VRAM usage when fully maxed out.

The original problem arose because they *had* to provide a mid-range 4GB card due to the competition (I expect they couldn't be seen to be the company that skimped on memory yet again), hence the 'tacked-on' 512MB.

Such a damn shame as otherwise the 970 is a cracking card!! But as it's been said, modern games are using more and more ram (even at 1080p) so this stuttering will be rearing its head more and more...

Regardless of the driver update, PeterS posted that "If you don't want the card anymore you should return it and get a refund or exchange. If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help." Keep in mind, though, that the GTX 970 is still an all-around great performer and overclocker.

Personally im rubbing my hands with delight.

All these cheap 970s that will be hitting the market soon. Think ill grab myself a couple of shorties so I can drop my 670 blocks on them and still make a bit back selling my 670s on. Super cheap upgrade and even 3.5gb is better than the 2gb i'm currently sharing over 2 cards

Personally im rubbing my hands with delight.

All these cheap 970s that will be hitting the market soon. Think ill grab myself a couple of shorties so I can drop my 670 blocks on them and still make a bit back selling my 670s on. Super cheap upgrade and even 3.5gb is better than the 2gb i'm currently sharing over 2 cards

Same, I'll be keeping an eye out for a gimped 970 (preferably an OCUK ref jobbie) on MM :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom