• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can also announce already that anyone with a KFA/Galax card, this also includes the Infinity card can return the card if the customer wishes, because again our customers are kings. :)

Please bear in mind the following:
• There is no issue with the 970 product, this is by design from NVIDIA in the 970 GPU
• There is approx. £150 delta in the price of the 970 vs. the 980
• There is only a 3% performance delta of the 970 vs. the 980

In short the 970 remains the amazing product it has always being, nothing has changed, stuttering issues are an issue across all GPU's and drivers will of course be released in the future to help remedy such issues across all GPU's.

Some performance stats:
In order to try and assist further we have included some performance data below so that you can see actual testing results between the GTX 970 and the GTX 980.

Shadows of Mordor: GTX 980 GTX970
<3.5GB settings: 2688x1512 Very High 72FPS 60FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3456x1944 Very High 55FPS (24%) 45FPS (-25%)
Relative performance difference: 1%

Battlefield 4:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 2xMSAA 36FS 30FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 135% res. 19FPS (-47%) 15FPS (-50%)
Relative performance difference: 3%

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS off 82FPS 71FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS on 48FPS (-41%) 40FPS (-44%)

As you can see above the relative performance difference varies from 1% in Shadows of Mordor, to 3% in Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The performance differences between a 970 and 980 in the above examples remain a constant 15-19%, regardless of memory usage.

I hope that the above information helps clarify the performance from the GTX 970. Please let us know if you do want to continue with a step-up on your product for the higher performing GTX 980 card, and we'll get that option opened up for you.

Still if you wish to return your Galax/KFA2/OcUK 970 you can still do so, please contact our returns for the procedure.

thank you! You sir are the absolute boss

Same here but I think im SOOL. Bought a Rog Swift monitor with my 970s and as far as I know ULMB will only work with NVidia on this particular screen. Kinda forces me to stick with NV.

Same boat as me. I cannot afford to change screens so If I am able to change I am tied to Nvidia. I had the chance to try a 290x on my Swift earlier today and it's a bit of a nightmare. Could not get 144HZ at all, flickering on desktop etc.

Doesn't make sense to me, if theres nothing wrong with the 970s, and thats how they were designed, then what are they fixing, when there is nothing to be fixed, and why are they not telling everyone whos kicking up a fuss about crippling performance when going over 3.5GB to do one ?

I can also announce already that anyone with a KFA/Galax card, this also includes the Infinity card can return the card if the customer wishes, because again our customers are kings. :)

Please bear in mind the following:
• There is no issue with the 970 product, this is by design from NVIDIA in the 970 GPU
• There is approx. £150 delta in the price of the 970 vs. the 980
• There is only a 3% performance delta of the 970 vs. the 980

In short the 970 remains the amazing product it has always being, nothing has changed, stuttering issues are an issue across all GPU's and drivers will of course be released in the future to help remedy such issues across all GPU's.

Some performance stats:
In order to try and assist further we have included some performance data below so that you can see actual testing results between the GTX 970 and the GTX 980.

Shadows of Mordor: GTX 980 GTX970
<3.5GB settings: 2688x1512 Very High 72FPS 60FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3456x1944 Very High 55FPS (24%) 45FPS (-25%)
Relative performance difference: 1%

Battlefield 4:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 2xMSAA 36FS 30FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 135% res. 19FPS (-47%) 15FPS (-50%)
Relative performance difference: 3%

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS off 82FPS 71FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS on 48FPS (-41%) 40FPS (-44%)

As you can see above the relative performance difference varies from 1% in Shadows of Mordor, to 3% in Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The performance differences between a 970 and 980 in the above examples remain a constant 15-19%, regardless of memory usage.

I hope that the above information helps clarify the performance from the GTX 970. Please let us know if you do want to continue with a step-up on your product for the higher performing GTX 980 card, and we'll get that option opened up for you.

Still if you wish to return your Galax/KFA2/OcUK 970 you can still do so, please contact our returns for the procedure.

Gibbo,

You may remember my posts latish last night. My Infinity Card is on it's way back to you guys as we speak (I had an existing RMA prior to this info breaking).

It is my intention to go with a GTX980 and you may remember me asking you about the Best Card to OC. To save a refund then buying new, can I just pay the difference to what ever GTX980 I pick?

F.Y.I RMA RMA274295

Thanks in advance.

Because of this, a 970 with 3.5GB on a proper 256-bit bus would had been likely a superior, faster and trouble-free card comparing to the 970 "4GB" card we got right now. However for the sake call it a "4GB card" to not sell themself short comparing to the 290 series, they did in a way which caused more problems and performance issues than it's worth.

Really, Nvidia should have just sold the 970 with a proper 256-bit bus with 3.5GB memory and be done with it, not this stitched together memory and memory interface...

it wouldnt have been a 256bit bus if it only had 7 memory modules, it would have been 224bit.

thats the point. yes its better than a 290. but...its still not we were told when we brought it.

so a refund or rebate should be a offer.

others get a full refund fair enough but what do i get if i keep it just the nvidia bs reply and thanks for shopping with us.

Pity nvidia have no 8GB options so that us Gsync owners can use it. None readily available before anyone says anything about Titan's :-)

980 8GB required - Keep bashing on about it Gibbo

Gibbo,

You may remember my posts latish last night. My Infinity Card is on it's way back to you guys as we speak (I had an existing RMA prior to this info breaking).

It is my intention to go with a GTX980 and you may remember me asking you about the Best Card to OC. To save a refund then buying new, can I just pay the difference to what ever GTX980 I pick?

F.Y.I RMA RMA274295

Thanks in advance.

Check with returns mate, I have no understanding on how they deal with upgrades etc.

Nvidia (unofficial response)
"We know people are angry at us, we get it!
So as a gesture of goodwill we will be compensating people with a free copy of Ubisoft's new title 'The Division'..
I hope you are all happy with this, although saying that, The Division is a very graphic hungry game and you will need a graphic card with a minimum of 4gb!.

Ooooops"

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom