• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

Latest update for OcUK customers ONLY:

The following brands you can return if unhappy:
KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

The following brands are still unknown:
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

We are working crazy hard for our customers and will not give up! :)

Any chance you can add that to the op please?
Stops repeated questions being asked.

If I am honest this smacks of some people wanting something for nothing. I am really very happy with my 970 having upgraded from a 6970 there was a massive difference. I wont be returning my card at all because I am happy with my purchase as I would imagine most people are with a select few spitting there dummies over it.

Anything would be a nice upgrade from a 6970 though, i think your perspective is warped.

I have SLI 970's @ 1440p and have NEVER EVER turned settings down!! I think people need to stop generalising!

Most vRAM I have used is SOM @ 3.7 and completed the game ultra everything without a hitch? Withcher 2 maxed 2.6GB, GTA 4 with ICE 1.8GB. Portal 2 900MB, Civ 5, 1GB
What 970's do you have? I must admit I find it odd that some people have no problems, while others complain of a stuttery mess once they get over 3.5GB. You'd think it would be consistent. Unless they're actually EXCEEDING 4GB, as SOM can certainly do that.

Well no.

It doesnt matter how you try and explain it but the card does have physically 4gb of VRAM on them there RAM chips so the packaging is correct.

It is, but is it clear to the purchaser that the 4GB VRAM is available for use, just as it is for other cards with 4GB VRAM ?

Did NVIDIA make it clear to reviewers that the 4GB VRAM isn't configured in the normal way ?

It may not be problem to most users, but they are producing and selling a fairly expensive product which will be open to scrutiny by some users. NVIDIA should have made sure that the end user is getting what they would reasonably expect.

Of course, this is largely a matter of principle for most customers. However, if NVIDIA can just walk away from the issue, I wonder what else they, and other manufacturers will try to get away with in the future.

Last edited:
I have SLI 970's @ 1440p and have NEVER EVER turned settings down!! I think people need to stop generalising!

Most vRAM I have used is SOM @ 3.7 and completed the game ultra everything without a hitch? Withcher 2 maxed 2.6GB, GTA 4 with ICE 1.8GB. Portal 2 900MB, Civ 5, 1GB

I think, well, drama train, choo, choo!!!!

Share what driver version you are using as the stuttering some are experiencing are also experiencing it on 980's which does mean the driver is the culprit. Please share your driver so others can try. :)

It's a tough one as it's all subjective. Who many people have turned settings down thinking they were just avoiding normal performance issues when it was this issue causing the problem?

We'll never know I guess but this issue only got found because the card was displaying inexplicable issues for some users.

I've read elsewhere anyway that it really won't affect anyone in noticeable ways unless you game at 4k. Hopefully that actually is the case...

LOL, you could have gone that route in the first place, but now you are spending money you didn't want to. Think about it. Do you actually have issues with your 970's? I'm at 1440p and sure don't!

You are happy with your cards for now but wait until the newer games start coming later this year. Games like Dying Light are using 3.5GB or more @ 1080P right now so expect to be seriously disappointed when you can't turn on max settings. I'm guessing the 970 will not have good resale value 4-6 months from now.

I personally not had any stutter but I think that's mostly down to Gsync.

Chris I'd personally not be worrying, though we don't recommend them for 4k me and 8 Pack have had these things benching at 4k at insane levels of detail, maximum due to tri-SLI setups and we've not had issue. Admittedly it was in benchmarks and just couple of games.

Some people seem to have issues and other not, it really is telling me the main issue is software related. Those with the issue, try different drivers. :)

Oh rite yeah derp.

If the Nvidia was up front about the specs to start with I would have gone the 980 route.

So I guess you are having major issues with your 970's that justify you giving the same vendor/manufacturer more of your money? What exactly do you, as the consumer get out of this?

All I see, is people having to pay for returns then more expensive GPU's, for an issue caused by nvidia? Why should you pay for your return, why should you have to spend more?

I'd be interested in a poll... if you had a 970 would you get another (now knowing what you know) or trade up to a 980? What offers better future proofing, or is it much of a muchness given that at 1440p anv above, the 4GB limit will be regularly breached by the end of this year it seems

So I guess you are having major issues with your 970's that justify you giving the same vendor/manufacturer more of your money? What exactly do you, as the consumer get out of this?

All I see, is people having to pay for returns then more expensive GPU's, for an issue caused by nvidia? Why should you pay for your return, why should you have to spend more?

We will not make our customer pay to return, we will not make them upgrade. OcUK is the best! :)

Took AMD's offer so dropped them am email this morning about swapping my 970's and had an email back saying someone will be in touch with an offer for me tomorrow.

Will be interesting.

i tried dying light today 970 sli maxed out at 1400p v sync on and no stutter solid 60fps.
i have ocuk 970's with nvidia cooler and as hard as ive tried i cant find anything wrong with them, could be samsung ram or some vendors have cheaped out on parts i dont know

I'd be interested in a poll... if you had a 970 would you get another (now knowing what you know) or trade up to a 980? What offers better future proofing, or is it much of a muchness given that at 1440p anv above, the 4GB limit will be regularly breached by the end of this year it seems

OcUK won't be doing it, because simply this has being blown out of proportion by a faction of 10000000000000000000000000000% so were not just gonna throw more gas on the fire.

What we will do is support our customers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom