• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
i tried dying light today 970 sli maxed out at 1400p v sync on and no stutter solid 60fps.
i have ocuk 970's with nvidia cooler and as hard as ive tried i cant find anything wrong with them, could be samsung ram or some vendors have cheaped out on parts i dont know

I had a quick try at 1080p - smooth no stutter and 2160p - stutterfest :p

Be interested to know how SLI 980s handles that game at 2160p...

http://www.techpowerup.com/209409/p...s-being-returned-over-memory-controversy.html

nvidia is in for a rough road I mean saying it has 4gbs went it can't even use all of it is a joke then they bring out a 960 with only 2gb in 2015 which is another joke.

This is going to hurt nvidia!, if the 960 had 4gbs vram and a 256bit it would be a cracking little card but even the old 760 out performs it at higher res. I can see people being put off by both the 960 and 970 and not everyone is going to jump up to a 980.

I am jumping to amd with there next series I am weary of nvidia after this to be honest. There drivers haven't been to great either I have just sent my 6gb 780 back for a replacement and I bought the 280 for a back which runs games smoother than the 780!. Nvidia used to be smooth as silk in games but I think there going down hill.

Yeah there fast at chucking out drivers but it doesn't mean they run good.

Gibbo and Bailey,

I would like to just say a thank you for all the effort and spending the time to reply on the forum and keeping us updated

I am going to return my 970 but I will be buying another gpu which I will make sure is from OCUK and like all my future parts I buy will also be from you. along with future builds for myself and friends who need them!

the customer service is amazing and this is why people use OCUK.

thanks again Gibbo, Bailey and any others that have had a part in getting this far with the issues

Gibbo and Bailey,

I would like to just say a thank you for all the effort and spending the time to reply on the forum and keeping us updated

I am going to return my 970 but I will be buying another gpu which I will make sure is from OCUK and like all my future parts I buy will also be from you. along with future builds for myself and friends who need them!

the customer service is amazing and this is why people use OCUK.

thanks again Gibbo, Bailey and any others that have had a part in getting this far with the issues

So, I'm interested, what PC set-up do you currently use and what monitor? Also what GPU do you intend to purchase?

People saying you can return!! But I got this from CS
Hello

Things changed????????

The status at the moment is:

Any customer outside 14 day grace period, we will not accept returns on 970’s due to the internet rumours. Until NVIDIA tell us otherwise or it is proven NVIDIA has miss-sold the product under no circumstances must we take an RMA back due to this. Of course if within 14 days no issue that is the law.

OcUK has not advertised ROPS, SMU’s or L2 cache and neither has NVIDIA, if reviewers have done so that is upto them.

We are clear, NVIDIA are clear, until as such it is proven that NVIDIA are not clear we won’t be accepting returns, so we see no fault and until NVIDIA inform us otherwise we won’t be accepting RMA’s based on threads in forums on the internet.

Bailey

NVIDIA have claimed 224GB/sec memory bandwidth.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

This suggests that information is false.

http://www.techpowerup.com/209339/gtx-970-memory-drama-plot-thickens-nvidia-has-to-revise-specs.html

If that is correct, will NVIDIA own up, or will it end up in court ?

While looking about about the gtx 970 I found this.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...force-gtx-970-performance-with-driver-update/
Worth a read maybe and makes me think how nvidia will fix it.

Sounds more like they will try and hide the issue in drivers, as in everything will be in the 3.5GB rather than fixing it...which they cant! As an SLI 970 owner I look forward to see what they do, but as I will reiterate I have no issues and I'm at 1440p.

PS. If someone wants to gift me Dying Light on Steam I'll be happy to try it and report results ;)

Last edited:
I don't see us Brits taking Nvidia to court... we're too polite for that lol. Could certainly see it in the US though with their litigious culture. I'm just blown away by how well OCUK have handled this though. I'd never buy anywhere else. :)

People saying you can return!! But I got this from CS
Hello

Things changed????????

The status at the moment is:

Any customer outside 14 day grace period, we will not accept returns on 970’s due to the internet rumours. Until NVIDIA tell us otherwise or it is proven NVIDIA has miss-sold the product under no circumstances must we take an RMA back due to this. Of course if within 14 days no issue that is the law.

OcUK has not advertised ROPS, SMU’s or L2 cache and neither has NVIDIA, if reviewers have done so that is upto them.

We are clear, NVIDIA are clear, until as such it is proven that NVIDIA are not clear we won’t be accepting returns, so we see no fault and until NVIDIA inform us otherwise we won’t be accepting RMA’s based on threads in forums on the internet.

Bailey

What brand? If the ones we can accept now, reply to Bailey as he is upto date, probably a reply before we made the implementation. :)

Sounds more like they will try and hide the issue in drivers, as in everything will be in the 3.5GB rather than fixing it...which they cant! As an SLI 970 owner I look forward to see what they do, but as I will reiterate I have no issues and I'm at 1440p.

They are talking about making the os sit in the slower memory. However, Im just sat at the windows desktop and it shows 612mb being used in Vram so its already over the threshold. The articles also say that the GPU cannot access both the 3.5gb and .5gb memory at the same time which again is going to be a performance hit.

Theres too many what if's for me personally but if your rig is ok then good :) but for me its not.

While looking about about the gtx 970 I found this.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...force-gtx-970-performance-with-driver-update/
Worth a read maybe and makes me think how nvidia will fix it.
the expectation of a driver fix/improvement now appears to have been rather overstated and the rep has been forced to backtrack and edit his post in the Gerforce forum. See from this page forward: & the original post:

Last edited:
They are talking about making the os sit in the slower memory. However, Im just sat at the windows desktop and it shows 612mb being used in Vram so its already over the threshold. The articles also say that the GPU cannot access both the 3.5gb and .5gb memory at the same time which again is going to be a performance hit.

Theres too many what if's for me personally but if your rig is ok then good :) but for me its not.

I didn't know that, thanks. Interesting.

I understand it can't read both segments at the same time, or write to them.

The card can only hit its claimed bandwidth by say reading the 3.5gb and writing to the 0.5gb at the same time. Or vice versa. When this might happen who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom